MG

Jan's Electric bike replaces electric cars

(edited)

For the ultimate in fast electric bikes, here is my own version, which will top out at 45 mph on the flat.  Sitting inside the oversize "triangle" created by the top crossbar, the forward support bar, and the seat pillar bar, is a massive battery box (not shown) stuffed with big batteries, enough to propel the beast for 40 miles.  Strap on a pair of saddle-bags, and off to the grocery store you go, costs you only a dime a day to run. 

I tossed this beast onto a hefty bike carrier in order to transport to an out-of-State "National Electric Week" get-together, where the car and bike guys get to show off their latest stuff.  Note the giant hub-motor, I can crank 10 KW through that motor, so the bike will sprint off the line.  Others have these puny 500-watt units that you have to pedal in order to actuate.  (And, check out the neat LED light-bar flasher held onto the bike rack with big magnets; I rigged that into the car wiring with a Converter, to avoid draws from the interior wiring.  It takes a signal from the sensors and amplifies them for a powerful four-bulb flash.) 

At a dime a day, it is even cheaper than pedalling; your calorie replacements would cost you more!  I predict that there will be a massive shift to these electric bicycles, they cost way less than electric autos, and the battery pack after ten years is less than $1,000 to replace.   Technology:  ain't it grand?

20180916_171232_HDR.jpg

20180916_171344_HDR.jpg

Edited by Jan van Eck
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

What is the range on that beast?  ;)  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Epic said:

What is the range on that beast?  ;)  

40 miles with standard battery.   80 miles with dual battery.  (Of course, the dual costs more!)

The beast is designed to keep up with the traffic.  The problem in the USA is that there are few separated bike paths, so the bikes have to crowd into the road, and the (impatient) drivers will blow you off the road, clip you, or crowd you.  With a super-fast bike (with fat tires to match, of course) you can run just as fast as the autos.  

My next one will be a side-car, with a huge battery pack underneath the sidecar seat:

6ab79bd0dc4e8a19bceea28f74490d37.jpg

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

40 miles with standard battery.   80 miles with dual battery.  (Of course, the dual costs more!)

The beast is designed to keep up with the traffic.  The problem in the USA is that there are few separated bike paths, so the bikes have to crowd into the road, and the (impatient) drivers will blow you off the road, clip you, or crowd you.  With a super-fast bike (with fat tires to match, of course) you can run just as fast as the autos.  

My next one will be a side-car, with a huge battery pack underneath the sidecar seat:

6ab79bd0dc4e8a19bceea28f74490d37.jpg

The current model you have designed in the photo above has 2 exhaust pipes, right?  One to supply fuel and one normal?

• Like 1

This is badass! Congrats on your bike. I'd love to have one of these on my way to the office. 

• Like 3

(edited)

4 hours ago, CMOP said:

This is badass! Congrats on your bike. I'd love to have one of these on my way to the office. 

Here's the thing:  posit that you work in say Boston or New York and take the train in on the commute, as do hundreds of thousands.  Now, you live in a nice house in the suburbs, and you live far enough away from that RR station that you cannot easily walk, but there is no bus service in your town, so as a practical matter you have to drive there.  except:  that parking lot at the Station only has capacity for say 200 cars, and there are 5,000 guys that want to get on the trains.  

The result is that Hubby has to kick Wifey out of bed to take him down to the Station at 6:30 in the morning, so you have these housewives driving along in their bathrobes and slippers, just to do the drop-off.  This is institutionalized as "kiss and ride" departure lanes at the Station. The wait list for a parking permit is say eleven years, and then you still have to pay another $265/month for that permit!  So wifey has this 11-year time window where she has to play chauffeur, each morning and each evening. 

Now the alternative is that the RR station puts in some bike racks and the commuters ride their fast electric bikes and lock them in the rack.  Those racks can be built as second-story platforms, an elevated shed, so that the rented-out parking slots are not disturbed.  Put a plank in place and you ride the bike up to the elevated storage shed and lock it up inside, using a pass-card to keep out the thieves.,  The bike says nice and dry. 

Hubby can come home on whatever train he likes, wifey is not disturbed in whatever she is up to, hubby cruises home, and marital bliss reigns supreme.  The nice part is that you don't pedal, those pedals are there just to satisfy the cops that it is a real bike, thus does not require a plate nor a special motorcycle license to ride. The rider does not get all sweaty so you can wear your suit and tie and carry the laptop in a saddlebag.  Ya gotta watch out for the Officials, so tell them: "Hey, it's my new bicycle!"   Then everybody is happy, even the bureaucrats. 

Edited by Jan van Eck
  • Like 3

And Dan's vote just put me over the top on the Leaderboard, at 1,001 all-time votes on 955 posts. 

Considering that I have never sat on an oil rig, must be time for a career change.  West Texas, here I come! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jan van Eck said:

And Dan's vote just put me over the top on the Leaderboard, at 1,001 all-time votes on 955 posts. 

Considering that I have never sat on an oil rig, must be time for a career change.  West Texas, here I come! 

Texas, you have been warned!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

The Texans will need to install a new grill and windshield wipers to clear yer cute little bi'sickle off the F350s and Silverados.

• Like 2

(edited)

If yer gonna have a bike in Texas, it better be GAS powered!

image.png.9a26664ea7bfac51745e11e5ddaed0e8.png

image.png.8f25d94894e7c488f8e5fc32501ba0de.png

Edited by Dan Warnick
  • Like 1

Did I miss the price tag or you're being modest, Jan?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

Congrats on breaking 1,000 on the Leaderboard, Jan!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Did I miss the price tag or you're being modest, Jan?

It would be inappropriate, and crass, to do a commercial  on Oilprice.  But if you really want one, I can build you one, just message me. Cheers.

• Like 3

I'm afraid the shipping costs will make it unaffordable, alas.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 10:38 PM, Marina Schwarz said:

I'm afraid the shipping costs will make it unaffordable, alas.

Nah, I'll ship it to you and pick up the tab, if you really want one.  The latest versions now can be supplied with the Tesla-type battery cells and provide you with up to 3 KW of power, if you want to go crazy on range.  Should be good for a hundred miles or more!  Same physical outside dimensions on the battery pack, just a lot more "stuff" crammed in there. 

• Like 2

Hello everyone I am interested in this ebike but the cost could be restricted 

• Like 1

(edited)

On 9/25/2018 at 9:29 PM, mthebold said:

Nice!  I'm interested in upgrading my eBike; where did you get a motor & power electronics that can do 10kW, and where did you find tires that can handle the speed?

The motor is by Chrystalite,which is (of course!) sitting in China  (as is pretty much everything else in a bike).  You pump more power through the motor by upping the voltage, and being sure you have the battery flows capable to handle it.  Tires are three-inch bike tires, basically what they call "fat bike" tires.  Not sure if they were designed for this severe service, but hey, ya gotta take some chances in life!  Beats those flying wing-suits.....

image.png.06ce629049275605e9b1e2db084137a4.png

Edited by Jan van Eck
added picture
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Randall Smith said:

Hello everyone I am interested in this ebike but the cost could be restricted 

Figure six thousand.  Cheap at the price!

• Like 2