Rodent

Is your name Philip? No? Too bad!

This was ... unexpected.  And amusing.

Don't miss the "fine print" disclaimer all the way at the bottom:

**NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. YOU DON’T ACTUALLY HAVE TO NAMED PHILLIP TO ENTER. Odds of winning depend on the total number of entries received. Void where prohibited by law. Sweepstakes only open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, 18+. Entry period ends: 11:59 p.m. ET on 12/31/18. ARV of prize: $50 USD. By making a purchase or otherwise participating in this sweepstakes, you are agreeing to the full Official Rules.

========================

That Phillip disclaimer reminds me of another ... unusual ... discaimer I ran across on another forum:

DISCLAIMER

Do not use user scripts blindly. Check them for shifty stuff.

May contain bugs, spiders, arthropods, pseudo-scorpions and small plastic dinosaurs.

License required in the State of New Jersey.

If your computer begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.  

Made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles.

Alternate toy available for children under 3.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

From the article:

“It’s about time the name Phillip gets the recognition it deserves,” said Philip Corson, a real GasBuddy employee who is very proud of his name, and prefers it to be spelled with one L. “Every day in the office I hear ‘fill-up this’ and ‘fill-up that’. It’s distracting, confusing and leaves me feeling...empty.”

;)  

• Upvote 1

This is the coolest piece of news--if it qualifies as news but since KSA being "comfortable" with oila t$80 does, why not the phillipnews--I've seen in a long while. Cheers, @Rodent!

• Upvote 1

On 9/18/2018 at 8:38 AM, Tom Kirkman said:

This was ... unexpected.  And amusing.

Don't miss the "fine print" disclaimer all the way at the bottom:

**NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. YOU DON’T ACTUALLY HAVE TO NAMED PHILLIP TO ENTER. Odds of winning depend on the total number of entries received. Void where prohibited by law. Sweepstakes only open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, 18+. Entry period ends: 11:59 p.m. ET on 12/31/18. ARV of prize: $50 USD. By making a purchase or otherwise participating in this sweepstakes, you are agreeing to the full Official Rules.

I feel somehow that this cheapens the contest. You indeed should be named Phillip in order to win. I thought this contest was soooo awesome. Now it's just like any other. Boo.

24 minutes ago, Rodent said:

I feel somehow that this cheapens the contest. You indeed should be named Phillip in order to win. I thought this contest was soooo awesome. Now it's just like any other. Boo.

If I read the article correctly, then anyone can enter the sweepstakes.  However, if your name happens to be Phillip, or Philip, or Felipe, or any other variation, including female versions of the name, then you ALSO get up to $25 worth of free gas.  Or in other words, Only a Phillip gets the fill-up.  

1 minute ago, Epic said:

If I read the article correctly, then anyone can enter the sweepstakes.  However, if your name happens to be Phillip, or Philip, or Felipe, or any other variation, including female versions of the name, then you ALSO get up to $25 worth of free gas.  Or in other words, Only a Phillip gets the fill-up.  

Oh. Well, then I'm back to thinking the contest is awesome.

• Like 1

Looks like you are in the running if your name is Philippa  or Phillipo, but if it is Philippe, you are shorted on the twenty five bucks.  Oh, well, you can always blame your parents. 

• Like 1