Tom Kirkman

Transition Time: Volkswagen Announces "Electric for All" Campaign

Interesting, I believe a full EV batterys weight is around 790kgs

An all alloy engine can be as light as 100kgs

On 9/19/2018 at 8:33 AM, Auson said:

Interesting, I believe a full EV batterys weight is around 790kgs

An all alloy engine can be as light as 100kgs

An alloy engine can be a lot lighter than that.  At one time SAAB manufactured a little 3-cylinder 2-stroke gasoline engine for its rally car, the SAAB Monte Carlo 850   (presumably the "850" was the number of cc's in the engine). Probably only weighed a hundred pounds. Maybe less.  Those machines were a dream to work on, you could disconnect and hoist the engine out of there to get at the clutch in about 3 hours.  Do it underneath some tree branch, worked fine. Alas, SAAB went bust and the car line is history. Oh, well. 

Man, those little cars were nimble. What a loss.

SAAB 3-cyl 850.PNG

• Like 2

Thanks for that Jan, that looks like a fantastic little thing, sounds like you used to have one.

I'm sure a Hyabussa 1300 is super light also ?

For me the whole EV issue is the weight especially when the boss of Easyjet was talking about running electric passenger Jets by 2020 ! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Auson said:

Thanks for that Jan, that looks like a fantastic little thing, sounds like you used to have one.

I'm sure a Hyabussa 1300 is super light also ?

For me the whole EV issue is the weight especially when the boss of Easyjet was talking about running electric passenger Jets by 2020 ! 

That Hyabussa motorcycle engine would weigh more!  Indeed, quite a bit more than the Saab 850.  Incidentally, the 850 was carefully designed to remain just below the threshold of US displacement minimums, so that its little two-stroke motor would remain exempt from emissions regulations.  The engine probably did not and could not meet emissions, as the 2-stroke had "slack" in the internal parts fittings, in order to accommodate thermal expansions. 

But here's the kicker: that Monte Carlo probably weighed in at 2,800 lbs gross, yet needed only 50 hp to give it great performance.  The original versions were fitted with a simple 2-cylinder motor of about 25 hp., then gradually increased up to the output of the high-revving 3-cylinder.  Since it had a flat hp. curve it could perform nicely without having to continually shift gears. And with that small motor up front, a lot of the car body was given over to passenger and baggage volume.  The other advantage of the 2-stroke was the the oil lube tank was mounted separate, and an injection pump sprayed just a little oil into the gasoline to lube the piston rings and down into the bearings.  With no oil in the crankcase, they would always crank no matter how cold, and always start with a mechanical distributor, so no minimum crank speeds to fire the sparkers. One of the problems of complex engines with lots of sensors is that they do not start with low crank speeds, so either you park it in the heated garage or you get out the snowshoes.  Oh, well. 

Note that VW is following in the footsteps of BMW by offering cordless recharging, via that magnetic charge plate you leave on the floor of the garage.  Apparently the thinking is that Germans are too aloof to lower themselves to crass manual labor involved in actually plugging the thing in, with a cord.  Amazing. 

On 19.09.2018 at 14:20, Tom Kirkman said:

VW идет все подряд. Переезд с дизельного на электрический.  

Элон привинчен.

Время перехода: Volkswagen объявляет кампанию «Электрические для всех»

Volkswagen переходит от дизеля. Сегодня он объявил «Электрический для всех».

1K8_JfeLsUS49cpBut5ZLQ

https://youtu.be/LRqLUghV82s?list=PL3cjTnAVS8pFTM4xBuzSszLc-GD3slpyX Автомобиль работающий на водороде (на воде). Своими руками

I guess this gives more confidence to those who think EV could affect oil demand sooner rather than later.