Good read.  Hope they kick some butt.

Corbella: The enemies of Alberta's energy industry are running the province

There is much irony in the Alberta Teachers’ Association repeatedly hiring anti-oil-and-gas types to speak at its conventions.

First, they paid David Suzuki $50,000 to speak to teachers; now it’s Tzeporah Berman. She’s not exactly a household name in Canada, but well-known nonetheless as an attacker of all things petroleum — even though, judging from her appearances at every energy hotspot with a rolling television camera, she uses more than her fair share of oil and gas, just like Suzuki.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the Oilsands and Alberta generally have been the Whipping Boy for the environmental movement.  I don't see that changing anytime soon.

On 9/20/2018 at 9:45 AM, Tom Kirkman said:

Good read.  Hope they kick some butt.

I was expecting them to turn the tap off for B.C. Can't fathom why they didn't. Radical? Yes. Justified? I'd say so.

8 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

I was expecting them to turn the tap off for B.C. Can't fathom why they didn't. Radical? Yes. Justified? I'd say so.

Not really  (justified).   First, Canadians don't think of themselves that way  (although sometimes they talk like they would like to!).  The reality is that each has their own concerns, and those do have to be hashed out.  Rather than turning off the tap (of oil), Alberta can decline to make contributions to the inter-provincial welfare fund, known as "equalization payments."  That would be a particularly effective political tactic; with the US lumber tariffs causing quite a bit of pain the in the interior of B.C. lumber towns, the dominant industry, shutting down the transfer spigot, or the possibility of future transfer payments, would certainly get the attention of the B.C. legislature  (to say nothing of the mighty Ontario Legislature, now that that industrial powerhouse of a Province has been reduced to rubble, the shambles a result of Ontario's lunatic leftist politics).  Ontario, once the richest, is now reduced to beggar status, holding out the Little Tin Cup for alms from Ottawa to try to stay afloat.  And that is what happens when you arrogantly abuse the manufacturing sector; those guys pack up and leave, abandoning their physical plant but taking the machinery out and heading for Ohio or Indiana. 

Canada is the victim of its own insanities.  And to think that this nation has such staggering resource wealth, and a highly educated population, and still they make a complete mess of it.  Utterly amazing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

Ontario, once the richest, is now reduced to beggar status, holding out the Little Tin Cup for alms from Ottawa to try to stay afloat.  And that is what happens when you arrogantly abuse the manufacturing sector; those guys pack up and leave, abandoning their physical plant but taking the machinery out and heading for Ohio or Indiana.

So basically, what America did to its own manufacturing base since the '94 (which sent our plants to Canada), now Canada is doing that exact same thing to its own (which is sending them back to America).  

Wow. 

But that's ok, we'll take our manufacturing plants back.  Thanks Canada. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Epic said:

So basically, what America did to its own manufacturing base since the '94 (which sent our plants to Canada), now Canada is doing that exact same thing to its own (which is sending them back to America).  

Wow. 

But that's ok, we'll take our manufacturing plants back.  Thanks Canada. 

I think you have pretty much summed it up!

• Like 2

I was thinking along the lines of B.C.'s insistence they don't want more Albertan oil to (theoretically) spill into their waters. Well, then stop taking any oil, why not? it's crude, I admit. Pun unintended.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Well, then stop taking any oil, why not?

Nelson: Oil is welcome from Azerbaijan, but not Alberta. What gives?

... Under the rather cumbersome phrase of “the effects of oil and gas production on the environment and human health: comparative evaluation,” we are told of “human rights abuses and environmental pollution by companies in the oil sector in Azerbaijan. Reported human rights abuses include workplace discrimination, illegal termination of contracts, health and safety violations and sexual harassment.”

Seems perfectly logical we’d take oil from this bunch rather than, perish the thought, accepting crude from those dreadful knuckle-draggers out there in Alberta. ...

• Like 1

Erm. Yeah, okay, perfectly reasonable. Yep.

• Like 1