Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TS

What could be biggest energy market disrupter in 2018?

What's it going to be? Electric vehicles, China's crackdown on pollution, Paris climate rumblings, OPEC ... would love to hear what everyone thinks will be the biggest disrupter this year.

• Upvote 1

I'll have to go with EVs because it will be in the New Year that Tesla's Model 3 will gain serious momentum and all those traditional carmakers will start challenging Tesla with their own new models. We might not actually see the disruption from these in terms of oil demand in 2018, but we'll see other disruptions on the energy scene. 

Interesting comment on this by Peter Tertzakian in the Financial Post: 

Compliance with Paris– By 2018 the climate change accord will be three years in the works. The realization will begin to set in that the targets have a high probability of being unachievable – within most countries, and globally as a whole. The biggest unknown to energy markets is what the world governing bodies will do after waking up to this realization.

Like what, for instance? I like the overall theory, but it's kind of weak without potential scenarios. 

I would definitely go with geopolitics this time around. 

On 12/30/2017 at 1:52 AM, Carlsbad said:

I would definitely go with geopolitics this time around. 

I have to agree, in light of what's happening in Iran right now and the fact that Saudis will have to swallow an 80% fuel price jump. Add the usual suspects like Venezuela, Russia-EU, and China and Islamists in Africa, and the picture becomes very pretty.