Marina Schwarz

Saudi Arabia Shelves Solar Megaproject

Yeah I predicted this would never happen as soon as they announced it. Absolutely no surprise at all.

(edited)

Haven't heard anything about the new crown jewel, either, NEOM. 

Update: You're all WRONG! It's going just fine.

Edited by Marina Schwarz
  • Like 1

(edited)

LOL - Typical Saudi.

I would still be very shocked if it actually happens, they talk a lot about green programs, but at the end of the day they put their money into oil related projects.

Edited by Refman
  • Like 2

They should do it instead of repeating the mistakes of the past. Next time oil goes down it won't get back up. 

• Like 1

Wow this is surprising. Was looking forward to this project. 

Softbank did invest $100 billion into India's solar project. 

How much money do these guys have? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JunoTen said:

They should do it instead of repeating the mistakes of the past. Next time oil goes down it won't get back up. 

I totally agree, they need to start the transition away from oil now, as it will take decades to accomplish. The way things are going its looking like the Saudis are going to seriously miscalculate the situation. Hope I live long enough to see this play out.

This proposal was a fairly typical Gulf State Willy waving project where various countries leaders try to out compete each other. In similar fashion is the competition to build the Worlds highest building. 

A more tangible proposal (and doable) would have been to set some achievable goals like 1 GW per year of additional capacity which would have been easier to build into the existing infrastructure. 

On 10/2/2018 at 4:42 PM, Refman said:

LOL - Typical Saudi.

I would still be very shocked if it actually happens, they talk a lot about green programs, but at the end of the day they put their money into oil related projects. offshore / Swiss Bank Accounts and Luxury Yachts moored up in the Med😉

Corrected for you. 

• Upvote 1