Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CB

Should American Oil Join OPEC, and Will Russia Stay OPEC-Friendly?

Still a lot of people talking about whether American oil companies should join OPEC ... and new topic of interest is whether Russia is going to remained aligned with OPEC. What do y'all think?

Don't even see how American oil companies would join the cartel. What would that look like when they're public companies and not state-run? And why would they want to?

I don't see any reason, either. As for Russia, I think people generally underestimate how important this alliance is to OPEC and how much of an upper hand Russia actually has. They will continue the friendly alliance as long as it's in their interest but we really have seen no indication of how long Putin plans to do this and considering the oil production power they have, it's a very big question. 

i can't see any public company officially joining the cuts, either. However, they seem to have started caving in to shareholder pressure to stop boosting production already and make some money for a change, so it's not impossible to see a slowdown in output growth this year. Unless the lure of $60+ WTI proves irresistible, that is.

American oil cannot join OPEC, not sure why this is even being suggested. This would be considered price fixing, and that's illegal here. This is also why Aramco IPO isn't going to list in NYSE. Aramco is part of OPEC, which is currently engaged in price fixing. 

Not sure, either, so wanted to see what you all thought. Seems to me that it would make more sense for OPEC to disappear at this point.