Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KT

Careful eye on anti-government protests in Iran

Anyone watching the spreading protests in Iran? This could spiral dangerously. They started out protesting rising prices but now it's turning into a general anti-government, anti-cleric protest ... some external actors will be looking to take advantage of this. 

I can think of any number of external forces that would love to grab onto this momentum, but what would it mean?

It would mean WWIII. Can't quite get a handle on how big these protests are yet, or how big they could be. Will have to talk to friends on the ground for real perspective. 

Iran is saying that the protests are not disrupting any oil production or oil exports. How long do you think this will hold?  This is a HUGE potential market mover. Iran has increased its oil revenue over 50% so far in the Iranian year. They have reclaimed their pre-sanction production levels, and any disruption here in Iran will mean big swings in oil prices, which are already high.

Well, we have to remember that the Iranian people have a fairly long history of protesting. They're not happy with a few things, and mostly with the fact that the economy hasn't improved that much since lifting sanctions. But trite comments coming out of Washington could hurt the protests if they protesters feel they are being used in a foreign politics game. These protests aren't about foreign policies at all. 

well, oil loves it. For the first time in four years, both WTI and Brent opened the year over $60 per barrel.

On 12/29/2017 at 7:49 PM, Seleskya said:

I can think of any number of external forces that would love to grab onto this momentum, but what would it mean?

I am closely observing US foreign policy on Tweeter 

On 12/29/2017 at 7:51 PM, Kate Turlington said:

It would mean WWIII. Can't quite get a handle on how big these protests are yet, or how big they could be. Will have to talk to friends on the ground for real perspective. 

Do we even know who the protesters are? 

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I am closely observing US foreign policy on Tweeter 

President Trump has said it is “time for change” in Iran. Recent changes in Syria, Libya didn't bring us much good

Just regular people ... the last protested in 2009, the Green Movement .. when they were standing against the re-election of Ahmadinejad. They wanted a reformer, and they got one--Rouhani. Seems like they waited a fair amount of time to allow things to be decided by the ballot box, but now feel as if too much energy has been spent on fixing the nuclear deal and relations with the West and too little time spent making sure the people are being taken care of. Prices of basic food items are too high, etc. Iran got its oil back in the market, but it's not trickling down, I guess. 

weakening of the Iranian government’s grip could presage a dangerous escalation of regional tensions. Kuwait, Lebanon, Yemen... could experience more instability. Interestingly enough, it is where Iran has issues with Saudi Arabia, our main ally there 

Doubled gas prices, increased unemployment, low level of human,especially women,right ... The regime is funding terror, instead of its people. The only enemy of the people is their own government.

Debate and peaceful demonstrations are the only way for constructive change in democratic countries. But, it's hard to believe how this kind of protest can make change in Iran. Regime is brutal and strong, and it's a clear, in my opinion, how these protests has no chance.

In worst scenario by them, I believe how Hassan Rouhani and his government will resign... But, experience and fact are showing us how is main person, head of state, Ayatollah. In this case it's a Alli Khamenei. The resignation of the government wouldn't bring to much of change. Since 1979. and the revolution which established Ruholah Homeini, Iran remained captive in the hands of religious radicals .... They decide on life and death in that country

Fact is that Iran is now a leading actor in post-Saddam Iraq, Syria and Lebanon. I am sure that many dislike that

I saw one of the most pathetic and shameful statement from British PM, Theresa May: "Britain calls for meaningful debate in Iran". This is wind at back for regime which was for a few days killed and arrested dozens of protestants just because they want to live a better life and greater human rights.....

This generation of Iranian People has a chance to change their country and open it to the world in peace and understanding. But, as I said before, it will be hard and probably impossible mission. The regime and their special forces, QODS, are brutality against civilians.

Generally,  there is hope. It`s a start. There will be blood, but it`s a start.
"Gutta cavat lapidem there, sed saepe falling"

"The genie is out of the bottle" - was a motto in 2009.during mass protests in Iran.Few days after that - result was nothing. Today people repeat same motto, but question is: Will regime again put the genie back in the bottle, or not?

Media saying Iranian oil production not likely to be disrupted in near term unless oil workers go on strike .... 

As we thought, Iranian Regime has won.

This happens when brutal ruler like Rouhani is in power. Looks like a their win. 

Indeed,it's not a Rouhani's win. It's a win of radical clergy.(Ali Khamenei) Actually, all Imams are kind and sympathetic when they are out of authority but at once they gripped it, they would be a monster and vampire .

They are so long on the top. Most middle class Iranians do not like Iranian government and these radical imams, but they have no support from outside..