PP

U.S. - Saudi Arabia: President Trump Says Saudi Arabia's King Wouldn't Survive "Two Weeks" Without U.S. Backing

President Donald Trump says Saudi Arabia’s king “might not be there for two weeks” without U.S. military support, as he sought to pressure the close American ally over rising oil prices. Speaking at a campaign rally Tuesday night in Mississippi, Trump said: “I love the king, King Salman, but I said, ‘King, we’re protecting you. You might not be there for two weeks without us. You have to pay for your military, you have to pay.'” Trump didn’t elaborate on when he spoke to the king. Trump and King Salman last shared a reported telephone call on Saturday. Benchmark Brent crude oil is near $85 a barrel — a four-year high — and analysts say it could reach $100. U.S. gasoline prices are up ahead of November midterm elections.

• Like 2

Facts are facts. Truth. And, everything has a price. Mutual interest.

• Like 3

It's unusual, let's say an undiplomatic remark about close ally Saudi Arabia. But, it's a fact which we knew...

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

The longer Trump stays in office the more I am convinced he is a Russian puppet. The consequences of the US leaving Saudi would be Russian control of the Middle East not the downfall of the House of Saud

• Like 3
  • Downvote 3

Recently, Saudis have reacted against Canada. I wonder are they "brave" enough to show reaction now. Surely, no.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Let's say this way. The destabilization of Saudi Arabia will make the price of a barrel of oil up to $ 300. The US protects the global economy(and their own interests) and does not protect Saudi Arabia.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, rainman said:

Let's say this way. The destabilization of Saudi Arabia will make the price of a barrel of oil up to $ 300. The US protects the global economy(and their own interests) and does not protect Saudi Arabia.

How do they let the House of Saud fall and keep the peace? That would be an interesting feat. 

I think there maybe a backlash from Saudi on these demands they don't like being criticised by anyone. I have a feeling there will be a meeting in Moscow very soon with a lot of Saudis in attendance to emphasise to Trump the US is not the only protection racket in town. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jaycee said:

How do they let the House of Saud fall and keep the peace? That would be an interesting feat. 

I think there maybe a backlash from Saudi on these demands they don't like being criticised by anyone. I have a feeling there will be a meeting in Moscow very soon with a lot of Saudis in attendance to emphasise to Trump the US is not the only protection racket in town. 

There is already a strong (interests) link between Moscow/Riyadh...  Since this morning on OP:

New Deal Without OPEC - Saudi Arabia, Russia Agreed in Sept To Lift Oil Output

• Like 1

Actually, one more thing is important. Check out how much Saudi money is invested in the US stock market....

• Like 1

No doubt, it's to be true. But, key question: Is this the way countries should communicate?

Two weeks is long time, without Great Britain, France, and USA, Saudi King and Kingdom could not survive less than a week!  As they have oil they are safe...

54 minutes ago, rainman said:

There is already a strong (interests) link between Moscow/Riyadh...  Since this morning on OP:

New Deal Without OPEC - Saudi Arabia, Russia Agreed in Sept To Lift Oil Output

I was thinking more of an arms deal than an oil deal.

38 minutes ago, ThunderBlade said:

Two weeks is long time, without Great Britain, France, and USA, Saudi King and Kingdom could not survive less than a week!  As they have oil they are safe...

who would be able to invade in a week? Internal problems they can solve with the army and the police. Besides if America pulls out I would not bet on the other two doing similar the USA cannot supply the oil needs of anyone but themselves so no incentive for other countries to stop supporting them.

The US is not going to let the House of Saud fall anytime in the near future. The Prez speaking his mind is one thing, using his speech to "shake em around a bit" , isnt bad from time to time. Facts are facts.

KSA is a key ally in the region besides Israel, and even though the US is not dependent on KSA and the region for its energy resources due tot he shale boom, others are, the Straits of Hormuz are vital as is the Suez Canal and the entire AG. A stable KSA under the Al-Saud's is much better than the alernative(s). KSA, UAE, Q8, Bahrain, Jordan, Qatar, Oman know how vital and critical the US is to their survival. !

Russian plans and rootin tootin Putin's agenda do not align with those of the Al Saud's and it is very very unlikely the two will  be in "bed" together anytime soon,  besides the Russkies are aligned with the Iranians and Syrians and backing the Houthi set up in Yemen.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, mthebold said:

The US seems to do poorly when remarks are "diplomatic".  I'd rather live in a world where the obvious is stated. 

We'll shortly be an oil exporter, and at that price, we could turn anything into oil.  It would hurt in the short term for sure, but high oil prices eventually benefit us. 

We already are an oil and gas exporter along with refined products!🍾

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mthebold said:

The US seems to do poorly when remarks are "diplomatic".  I'd rather live in a world where the obvious is stated. 

We'll shortly be an oil exporter, and at that price, we could turn anything into oil.  It would hurt in the short term for sure, but high oil prices eventually benefit us. 

So you more than expect 13.7 Mb/d of US output?  If there is no change in US oil consumption and it remains at current levels, we would need about 3 Mb/d higher output for net exports to be zero, this might be achieved by 2025, but I expect US output will decline rapidly as tight oil output is likely to peak around then and be in rapid decline (5% per year or higher) by 2030.

US LTO scenario, best guess (mean expectation)

uslto1806.png

5 hours ago, Dennis Coyne said:

So you more than expect 13.7 Mb/d of US output?  If there is no change in US oil consumption and it remains at current levels, we would need about 3 Mb/d higher output for net exports to be zero, this might be achieved by 2025, but I expect US output will decline rapidly as tight oil output is likely to peak around then and be in rapid decline (5% per year or higher) by 2030.

USA considers Canadian oil as its own. hence USA says that it is self sufficient in oil production. Canada supplies USA with 3MBPD oil and hence offsets USA deficit.

But, the decline in USA tight oil is inevitable and expected to start from 2020-21

15 hours ago, damirUSBiH said:

Recently, Saudis have reacted against Canada. I wonder are they "brave" enough to show reaction now. Surely, no.

Oh Canadia, Oh Canadia....

My maple leaves are oozing and crying ...?

NO, the Saudis arent going to shut out the USA like they did the great and might Canadia , under the leadership of the ALL-LEFTY-EL-TRUDEAU

Just now, Bhimsen Pachawry said:

USA considers Canadian oil as its own. hence USA says that it is self sufficient in oil production. Canada supplies USA with 3MBPD oil and hence offsets USA deficit.

But, the decline in USA tight oil is inevitable and expected to start from 2020-21

Bhim, can we have an oil fight? LOL

We, Americans consider Canada as our last frontier, all I got to do is go over there and plant my flag and claim all the Canuck Oil as my own!!!!

:D🍾

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bhimsen Pachawry said:

large.jpg

Canadians might beg to differ.

• Like 4

(edited)

37 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

large.jpg

Canadians might beg to differ.

Even after taking production of oil (10.5MBPD), alcohol blending (1MBPD), refinery gains (1MBPD) and NGL (5.2MBPD) the total production obtained is 17.7MBPD which is less than consumption of 20.6MBPD by about 3MBPD. How else can one explain the gap of 3MBPD oil while looking at statements by top USA official sources that USA is self sufficient in oil?

Considering Canadian oil as belonging to same family as USA oil is the only way USA can claim to be self sufficient in oil.

None cares if Canadians beg to differ. Beggars aren't choosers😛

Edited by Bhimsen Pachawry
  • Like 1

(edited)

15 hours ago, ceo_energemsier said:

Russian plans and rootin tootin Putin's agenda do not align with those of the Al Saud's and it is very very unlikely the two will  be in "bed" together anytime soon,  besides the Russkies are aligned with the Iranians and Syrians and backing the Houthi set up in Yemen.

So if America withdraw their military backing the Saudis will refuse help from Russia? Don't think so they will cosy up straight away so Trump's threats are meaningless and are for American voters who don't have any understanding of how the world works, to be fair that is Trump's core vote. Only problem is the Saudis are being made to look bad and they really do have a serious issue about respect. I don't think what he has said will be forgotten especially now since it appears he was told previously about a secret deal between Saudi and Russia to produce more oil.

An example of a country that previously opposed to Russia that even shot down a Russian bomber and is now very friendly with Putin after being rebuffed by Europe and America is Turkey. When support disappears from the West countries look to the East Saudi would be no different. You have to be aligned one way or another to survive in this world.

Edited by jaycee
added example

(edited)

2 hours ago, jaycee said:

So if America withdraw their military backing the Saudis will refuse help from Russia? Don't think so they will cosy up straight away so Trump's threats are meaningless and are for American voters who don't have any understanding of how the world works, to be fair that is Trump's core vote. Only problem is the Saudis are being made to look bad and they really do have a serious issue about respect. I don't think what he has said will be forgotten especially now since it appears he was told previously about a secret deal between Saudi and Russia to produce more oil.

An example of a country that previously opposed to Russia that even shot down a Russian bomber and is now very friendly with Putin after being rebuffed by Europe and America is Turkey. When support disappears from the West countries look to the East Saudi would be no different. You have to be aligned one way or another to survive in this world.

The problem here is that Russia has more oil than Saudis and don't need any petro-ruble relation. Russian oil, gas and coal combined has more energy than entire Middle east. Russia has relative self sufficiency in food products too which Middle east does not have.

The real question is whether Russia will help Saudi Arabia? In return what will Russia get?

I must, however, admit that Trump did not do right by twisting the information he had about the secret deal between GCC and Russia and making GCC countries appear bad.

Edited by Bhimsen Pachawry

2 minutes ago, Bhimsen Pachawry said:

The problem here is that Russia has more oil than Saudis and don't need any petro-ruble relation. Russian oil, gas and coal combined has more energy than entire Middle east. Russia has relative self sufficiency in food products too which Middle east does not have.

The real question is whether Russia will help Saudi Arabia? In return what will Russia get?

1. Cut American influence dramatically with the Arab world
2. More ability to control world oil price
3. Military bases /port access in a stable Middle Eastern country
4. A large military power on their side rather than the American's
5. Ability to cut large amounts of oil supplies to Europe and the influence that brings, why do you think the US is so against Europe using Russian gas?
The benefits are massive and Putin would have to be stupider than Trump if he did not utilise any split between the US and Saudi. Russian does not need trade with Saudi, I agree with you there, what they want is the ability to increase their ability to project power and influence other countries which is far batter than trade.