Marina Schwarz

Get on Those Bicycles to Save the World

A little two-wheeled exercise would also be good for the health of some people, as long as you don't get hit by a bus...

Just need to get those ICE vehicles off the road then it will be far more pleasant on the roads to cycle around. Although around here I'd need an electric bike, bit hilly.

19 hours ago, John Gammage said:

A little two-wheeled exercise would also be good for the health of some people, as long as you don't get hit by a bus...

Or a car. That's why I don't cycle though I would love to. Instead, I walk.

13 hours ago, DA? said:

Just need to get those ICE vehicles off the road then it will be far more pleasant on the roads to cycle around. Although around here I'd need an electric bike, bit hilly.

@Jan van Eck is making those. You're in the right place.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:41 AM, Marina Schwarz said:

Go, go, go!

@Jan van Eck, you might want to start thinking about mass production.

BNEF-2018-India-2-and-3-wheeler.png

There was another thread with a similar topic but I couldn't find it, so here will do.

On 10/9/2018 at 4:41 PM, Marina Schwarz said:

Go, go, go!

@Jan van Eck, you might want to start thinking about mass production.

Call me a skeptic @Tom Kirkman but when I read this section, it "spoke" to me:

After a week of haggling between scientists and government officials at a meeting in South Korea, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) issued its hard-hitting report on the impact of global warming.

There are many mitigating tactics, what the report calls "pathways," we will all need to take if we want our planet to remain habitable, and among them are walking and cycling more. The stakes could not be higher. The risks, says the IPCC report, include "high levels of public unrest and political destabilization due to the increasing climatic pressures, resulting in some countries becoming dysfunctional."

Highlights and underlines by me.  Makes one wonder how the sales pitch went.  

3 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

Makes one wonder how the sales pitch went.  

5fdef59d2a3dd7dd977ec77c3f93e812db9b5f64a930cac725c16ee9c8c84809.jpeg

(edited)

20 hours ago, DA? said:

BNEF-2018-India-2-and-3-wheeler.png

There was another thread with a similar topic but I couldn't find it, so here will do.

The cost of CNG in India is about Rs45 per kg and cost of Petrol is Rs 80 per litre roughly. The mileage of 3 wheeler (auto-rickshaw) is 25km per litre of petrol and 30-35km per kg of CNG. Over 90% of commercial three auto-rickshaws run on CNG in India. The mileage of normal economy class 2 wheelers (not Hayabusa type sports bike) go from 35km for scooter to 70km in motorbike. 2 wheelers don't run on CNG but only on petrol.

The cost per km in 3 wheelers comes to Rs 3.2 per km on petrol and Rs 1.4 per km on CNG. The cost per km for 2 wheelers (only petrol) comes to about Rs 2.3 to Rs 1.2 and the average is around 1.7-1.8 Rs per km.

If we want to consider only the per km cost, the cost shown in the above chart is way off for CNG run 3 wheelers. If entire cost including fixed cost is calculated, then again the electric run 3 wheelers will be at a big loss as they have to ply for over 12 hour a day. The total mileage of e-rickshaw is 80km per charge which is nowhere enough and hence will lead to high opportunity costs. I agree with the 2 wheeler pricing but the 3 wheeler chart has massive discrepancy

Edited by Bhimsen Pachawry
  • Like 1