CB

What about Bosnia and the Russia-EU energy equation?

I've been sort of mapping out Europe's energy policy and options for less dependence on Russia and while most of the countries' situations and stances are fairly clear to me (not entirely when it comes to Eastern Europe), I can't figure out where Bosnia fits into all of this ... anyone have any experience here?

Let's say that Russia is controlling one part in Bosnia and that is Republic of Srpska. There are several reasons for that, but this is not a history lecture. Briefly, the only one oil refinery in Bosnia is owned by Russia.(Zarubezhneft oil company-Moskva) Gas supplies from Russia are also going to orher parts of state through Republic of Srpska  and that is creating kind of addiction....(short version) Economy=politics

Does this mean that Modrica refinery is something like the Petroleum Industry of Serbia (NIS) in my country? And NIS was bought by the Russians and saved...

No, Peter. The refinery is in big losses and is not even close to what the Russians are doing in NIS. Many times in last few years I heard how Zarubezhneft failed to fulfill agreement about privatization of Refinery , but ... Another sad story from the Balkans

For three years Gazprom Neft has invested 500 million euros in NIS. That kind of approach is necessary if you want to start with serious business.....

Zarubezhneft is owner of two refinery, many of oil stations in RS and for a ten years (2007 -2017) they invested 266 million euros...If you told me about 500 million euros investment for three years in NIS  then is everything more than clear...Refinery in Modrica and Bosanski Brod are toy for them - does not cost to much, but has strong political message....Indeed, same like Russian capital in Serbia, is it?

Perhaps it's correct to say: "like any kind of capital"... That''s a logic. Don't you think the French, German or US investments in some countries are their try to help economy or their control? Pretty similar....

Yes, Petar. On the Balkans, as you know, we have a proverb: only interests are eternal! But, if I can choose between Putin's oligarchs and Western democracies, I will choose it democracy and transparency.

Maybe you're so critical of Putin or Russia? Serbia is in between the interests of Russia and the pressure of Brussels. This type of choice is not good, both of these blocks offer us money. I'm afraid - the price on the end will be to  much expensive. And, of course, the position of Bosnia and Herzegovina in this context is worst than ours.

But Gazprom is big in the rest of Bosnia, too, right? The Federation entity...

I remember quite a few years back during a very cold winter when everyone in Bosnia was worried they wouldn't have gas for heating because of the Ukraine crisis and not paying bills to Russia ... I think the Serbs actually 'loaned' Bosnia some gas if I'm not mistaken. 

15 hours ago, Kate Turlington said:

But Gazprom is big in the rest of Bosnia, too, right? The Federation entity...

Kate, It's true that Gazprom works in the Federation. But ... Gazprom has a small number of petrol pumps which they bought from Austrian OMV. And the most important thing: Zarubezhneft has a contract with the RS Government, the other entity, which has become the owner of a refinery, a motor oil plant and inherited almost all petrol pumps. Their influence and strength are different and can't be compared...

That means, what is Gazprom in Serbia, Zarubezhneft is in a Bosnia?

Generally, yes. However, there are big differences. First off all investment, than business expansion, etc. Gazprom in Serbia showed how's that process must go....

Maybe this is best for comparation:

Zarubezhneft (Republic of Srpska, BiH 2007 – 2017)

Investitions: 266 million euros

Gazprom Neft (Serbia)

2009 – 2012

Investitions: 500 million euros

So, conclusion is how are Russians strong and has a big influence in all Bosnia, or just one part of country? Oil, gas station, refinery......

Let's say how they unite economic and political interest in just one part of Bosnia. That kind of their influence is not good and constructive - especially when the country wants to step its own chances for EU integration or NATO.