How Long Until We Have Working Nuclear Fusion Reactor?

Well? Eni's working on one with MIT scientists and apparently there are nuclear fusion startups (whatever will they think of next on planet Startup) but most people seem to be sceptical. What does the forum think?

Haven't kept up to date for a couple of years, but the place to look as the most likely place that someone has a smallish usefully working reactor is the US navy. If they don't have it first then some heads should roll.

I should ask one of my cousin inlaws as he works at Cadarache, although that project has been screwed up by the politicians getting involved.

The MIT one (again should ask another family member as she works there) does seem to be interesting especially if memory serves right with the way they control the neutron radiation degrading the reactor. Some good work also seems to have been done on instabilities with in the plasma. But seems to me another break through on increasing magnet strengths is required to control the plasma.

But lets hope it works out, although there is the possibility it'll not be cost effective against renewables in most markets. Would be very useful in space flight and colonising other places.  

• Like 2

I guess it depends on how you define "working nuclear fusion reactor"

• Like 1

Um, one that generates energy continuously and can be used on a commercial scale?