Seoul seizes another vessel for trading with Pyongyang

South Korea is investigating a second vessel it suspects of illegally transferring oil for shipping to North Korea in violation of UN sanctions, maritime authorities said Sunday. According to the Pyeongtaek Regional Office of Oceans and Fisheries, the KOTI, a Panama-flagged ship, was seized at the Pyeongtaek-Dangjin port, suspected of carrying 5,100 tons of oil 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sanctions against NK have been imposed for more than a decade with little success. I don's believe that the fresh ones will be more affective

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Sanctions against NK have been imposed for more than a decade with little success. I don's believe that the fresh ones will be more affective

 

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 3.44.25 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sanctions are the wrong way to go. The people of NK will suffer whatever hardships come their way and NK will not only not budge from its nuclear program one inch, but they will gain all the more strength and determination. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Meanwhile said:

Sanctions are the wrong way to go. The people of NK will suffer whatever hardships come their way and NK will not only not budge from its nuclear program one inch, but they will gain all the more strength and determination. 

The right way to go is to for the US to open negotiations with China with a view to drawing up plans for the future of NE Asia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Joanna said:

The right way to go is to for the US to open negotiations with China with a view to drawing up plans for the future of NE Asia. 

Right. You are saying that US and other major powers should decide how NE Asia should look. Much as they did with the Middle East.

What could possibly go wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JohnAtronis said:

Right. You are saying that US and other major powers should decide how NE Asia should look. Much as they did with the Middle East.

What could possibly go wrong?

I agree that the sanctions are not working. They will only hurt the ordinary citizen. About negotiations with China? I find it odd to assume that the Koreans would accept any solution imposed by the US & China.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I agree that the sanctions are not working. They will only hurt the ordinary citizen. About negotiations with China? I find it odd to assume that the Koreans would accept any solution imposed by the US & China.

Nothing odd there. North Korea is independent on China for some 90 percent of its trade. China can pull the plug on that any time it chooses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What does China want for this? Control of South China Sea? US military downgraded in SK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a very good question. It already pretty much has control of the South China Sea despite all the warnings coming from the US. A US military downgrade doesn't sound half bad as an option. I guess we'll see what happens soon enough. I wonder what would happen if all sanctions on North Korea are suddenly lifted in whole. It may topple the Kim regime simply because of the surprise factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like some possible lowering of tensions, verbally, between North and South over the weekend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0