Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BW

Porsche Says That it ‘Enters the Electric Era With The New Taycan’

Porsche is investing six billion euros and hiring 1,200 new employees for the launch of the Taycan alone. The company is focusing on making the Taycan program profitable aiming for a 15-percent gross margin. 

Porsche never confirmed the volume of production that they are planning for the Taycan, but numbers from 20,000 to 30,000 units per year have been discussed.

But the vehicle’s charging system might be the biggest feature that the Taycan is bringing to market. Porsche is talking about a 800-volt system that should allow a charge rate of up to 350 kW, which could charge the car up to 80% in only 15 minutes. The vehicle is expected to have a range of over 250 miles and to come to market late in 2019.

Well it's coming at some point. And it looks good. So some will sell. It will be more rare than a Model S or X and that will also generate sales. Whether the Taycan is better than a Model S or not will not make a difference- except in bragging rights.

I would rather have Porsche go electric but I’m not going to pretend they didn’t just lie about emissions. I also don’t think they really care about making Evs to make the world a better place. If it were not for Tesla they would not be taking EVs seriously.

Porsche exists to make cars which are the sportiest in their segments. And that is what the Taycan will be. But if you looked at a map of the EA CCS chargers, you realized "wow, this is garbage".

The map only includes the stations in their highway network. They're also building out stations in other areas that will include 320kW charging but aren't part of their long-distance highway corridors and thus not listed on the map yet. Finally, they will be finished with their Cycle 1 plans on June 30, 2019 as legally mandated and will immediately begin their Cycle 2 rollout, which they have not detailed yet except in California. 

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/submissions

7 hours ago, Vlad Kovalenko said:

I would rather have Porsche go electric but I’m not going to pretend they didn’t just lie about emissions. I also don’t think they really care about making Evs to make the world a better place. If it were not for Tesla they would not be taking EVs seriously.

Nobody would. And I don't think any business would do anything to make the world a better place, whatever they say and however loudly they say it. They're all doing it for profit, that's what being a business is all about.

PS This car looks like a Ferrari. I shall mourn the 911 in solitude.

(edited)

I have never driven a Porsche, my wife's Tesla Model 3 AWD is pretty nice and sometimes she lets me drive.  :)

Edited by Dennis Coyne
  • Like 3

Nice prediction? Look at the amount of the element silver it takes to manufacture a regular car then look at the electric car plus its associated infrastructure. In Europe, the auto manufactures must source physical silver in advance of forecasting manufacturing. In the US, they use the "paper futures market" and place faith in physical delivery. In China, they have stockpiled silver for manufacturing. Europe auto manufactures formed a coop to share the cost of treasury, storage, and acquisition. Would you invest in a water utility in the desert that doesn't have any wells? USGS in the 1980's projected the Earth will exhaust 60% of it silver sources by 2030. What is so interesting is how accurate that forecast of mining was. Of course, in 1980's they never ever dreamed about the uses of silver in electronics, solar, medical, water purification and more.  

The other problem with electric cars is the road tax issue. Bridges are falling apart, pot holes everywhere while we let rich electric car drivers not pay for the roads they use?  What happens when the Electric Tax equal to the Gas Tax is applies? 

I don't make predictions, especially in the future. These are only random observations and in no way investment advice.