rainman

Censorship has a price: Google’s CEO Defends Potential Return to China

Google's executive director defended his company's plan to explore a search engine tailored for users in China, despite concerns that would enforce the country's severe Internet censors. In his broader public comments on the subject, Sundar Pichai said China is somehow in line with the mission of the company to provide information to the world population, given that one fifth of these people live in China. While respecting China's censors, he said, Google would be able to provide search results to more than 99% of the queries and in some cases provide more useful results than those currently available from local search engines. Comments, during an interview on stage at a Wired Technology conference in San Francisco on Monday, followed by a few weeks on Google's secret research project in China that triggered a backlash from Washington's human rights advocates and legislators, warning that the effort could help a repressive regime.

Google's invention a "limited amount of information"...

Turns out omitting some information while promoting some is called propaganda.  So, Google is saying that's in line with their mission?

Translate: It's all about the money, and finally someone has confirmed it...

"We are compelled by our mission to provide information to everyone, and China is 20 percent of the world's population," said Sundar Pichai. It's not about information, if that information is to be controlled and censored! It’s about capitalizing on the China’s market — and, it's about $$$.

• Upvote 1

Google China's model for censorship is exactly what will be a new model of "freedom" around the world.

• Like 1

They’re just warming up for Google China... They need to make sure the censorship algorithm works.

Image result for google china censorship

44 minutes ago, rainman said:

Google's executive director defended his company's plan to explore a search engine tailored for users in China, despite concerns that would enforce the country's severe Internet censors. In his broader public comments on the subject, Sundar Pichai said China is somehow in line with the mission of the company to provide information to the world population, given that one fifth of these people live in China. While respecting China's censors, he said, Google would be able to provide search results to more than 99% of the queries and in some cases provide more useful results than those currently available from local search engines. Comments, during an interview on stage at a Wired Technology conference in San Francisco on Monday, followed by a few weeks on Google's secret research project in China that triggered a backlash from Washington's human rights advocates and legislators, warning that the effort could help a repressive regime.

rainman, are these your thoughts or does this come from some article you've read or a mix of both?  It helps if you link any articles and differentiate between sourced info and your opinion.  

39 minutes ago, 50 shades of black said:

Turns out omitting some information while promoting some is called propaganda.  So, Google is saying that's in line with their mission?

Well, the OP is kinda like that as well, wouldn't you agree?

38 minutes ago, franco said:

Translate: It's all about the money, and finally someone has confirmed it...

They are a corporation...

1 hour ago, Dan Warnick said:

rainman, are these your thoughts or does this come from some article you've read or a mix of both?  It helps if you link any articles and differentiate between sourced info and your opinion.  

It's the news, and I do not like to put my comment on news. By definition news is excellent framework for dialogue. And, in this Topic, if you read well, can't find personal comment or opinion. Some sites require a subscription....
https://www.wsj.com/articles/googles-ceo-defends-potential-return-to-china-1539661027

1 hour ago, Dan Warnick said:

They are a corporation...

I do not think I was talking about a corporation, but about rigid censorship. Why? In the broader sense, Google have a different roll from the dimensions of the corporation...

22 minutes ago, rainman said:

It's the news, and I do not like to put my comment on news. By definition news is excellent framework for dialogue. And, in this Topic, if you read well, can't find personal comment or opinion. Some sites require a subscription....
https://www.wsj.com/articles/googles-ceo-defends-potential-return-to-china-1539661027

Just asking for a link, rainman.

15 minutes ago, franco said:

I do not think I was talking about a corporation, but about rigid censorship. Why? In the broader sense, Google have a different roll from the dimensions of the corporation...

No.  You said it's all about the money, which is correct.  They are a corporation and it is all about money.  Last I checked corporations don't have to swear an oath to uphold our freedoms for the people of China, however noble a cause that may be.  Google's role is to provide shareholder return.  What one can do if they don't like the way a company is providing those returns is either sell out their shares or buy enough to take control and throw out the current management, right?