rainman

Merkel Aims To Ward Off Diesel Car Ban In Germany

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has warned it would be "disproportionate" to ban diesel cars in cities where limits on nitrogen emissions are only being marginally exceeded. Speaking to reporters in Berlin on Sunday evening, Merkel pledged to introduce legislation that would allow car owners to continue driving older diesel vehicles. Many drivers have been left outraged as a number of major German cities — including Frankfurt, Berlin and Stuttgart — have threatened to limit or ban older diesel engines from their roads. However, Merkel's proposed legislation would enshrine in law that diesel car bans are disproportionate in cities where there are only marginal excess nitrogen levels. In Frankfurt, for example, the nitrogen level stands at 57 micrograms thanks largely to a series of environmental measures, such as the introduction of cleaner buses.

A few month ago it was "Gute Nacht" for diesel cars..

Election, voters and political interest.. All in one.  About a third of cars in Germany run on diesel.

• Like 1

After a huge push with incentives in Europe to purchase diesel, the Think Tanks say the level of nitrous oxide is unexceptionable to humans and environments.... Ireland will slowly faze out diesel too (by 2030 and selling of by 2040).

The Paradox of Diesel? It’s a very efficient combustible fuel? On the other hand it’s a very dirty combustible fuel. Yes, all fossil fuels pollute, I get that. But Diesel? A little higher on the list regarding notoriety...

I thought that German Government is doing things to make better lives for its citizens...

35 minutes ago, rainman said:

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has warned it would be "disproportionate" to ban diesel cars in cities where limits on nitrogen emissions are only being marginally exceeded. Speaking to reporters in Berlin on Sunday evening, Merkel pledged to introduce legislation that would allow car owners to continue driving older diesel vehicles. Many drivers have been left outraged as a number of major German cities — including Frankfurt, Berlin and Stuttgart — have threatened to limit or ban older diesel engines from their roads. However, Merkel's proposed legislation would enshrine in law that diesel car bans are disproportionate in cities where there are only marginal excess nitrogen levels. In Frankfurt, for example, the nitrogen level stands at 57 micrograms thanks largely to a series of environmental measures, such as the introduction of cleaner buses.

Yesterday's Merkel statement and Court decision from February this year are contrary. The Court has ruled cities can impose driving bans on the oldest and most polluting diesel cars...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/germany-diesel-ban-court-ruling-cities-air-pollution-vehicles-block-a8230641.html

4 hours ago, Petar said:

I thought that German Government is doing things to make better lives for its citizens...

10, 15, 20 year old diesel Mercedes-Benz' are everywhere in Germany.  It is a source of pride and good economical sense to own and drive one, for the general populace.  People hand them down to their children!  I am sure A LOT of people are raising hell with their local politicians over this one.  Angela probably has one or two at home for when she leaves office and has to drive herself again.  So, yes, make things better for the citizens, except when it might inconvenience them or make them buy a new car when the one that is in the garage is perfectly acceptable.  This is especially true, I would think, with retirees who have their retirement money very carefully planned out, and a new Benz is not in the budget.  That car was/is meant to last them to the end.

Valid points there DW in my view the most environmentally friendly transport is to NOT replace your vehicle for at least 15 years +

Its all rather confusing but I would expect some measures to encourage EV and Euro 6 Diesels in cities. Meanwhile here in London we are going full self driving by 2021.. apparently. Haven't seen one yet but I'm sure it will happen possibly to coincide with those electric passenger Jets promised recently by Easyjets CEO ( Sarcasm )

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Private-Hire-Firm-Aims-To-Roll-Out-Self-Driving-Cars-In-London-By-2021.html

• Like 1