Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marina Schwarz

7 Benefits of Tech in Oil and Gas

Interesting read. Have not had time to study in detail, but seems to me that these would apply to any production method, not just offshore. 

Anybody have some insigths? 

I invested in a company not long ago that took detailed photos of rigs they then linked the pictures to data in the oil companies database so if you say clicked on a control valve you could get the datasheet, maintenance schedule, GA, material certs etc plus could look at the valve to check for leaks from the packing etc The software was originally developed for police crime screen logging so that say a knife could be clicked on and the finger prints, make and place bought etc could all come up. The process saved a load of money in site surveys but they went bust. Big data is being used by BP for their refineries I went to a talk about it. Its is most suited to oil and gas as there is a lot of data being collected by the plant unlike other types of plant which is a lot lighter in intelligent instrumentation and control systems. Predictive maintenance can then be done and plant optimization etc can be looked at. Lots of opportunities to use the vast amount of data oil companies have to trim costs and improve plant operability in my opinion.

The next big thing I think in O&G is stopping cyber hacking not a problem yet but imagine the chaos a foreign power could cause if they hacked into the ICSS of an oil refinery. Its an area I am looking at moving into as there are firms out there doing it already.

3 hours ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

Interesting read. Have not had time to study in detail, but seems to me that these would apply to any production method, not just offshore. 

Meant any production method in O&G. Sorry for being unclear... First time participating on a forum like this, so still learning. 

• Like 1