Johnny Mortel

Pros and Cons of Coal

I think iced tea might be a good idea.  Just a thought.

49 minutes ago, J S said:

The new coal shovels are making their debut on Amazon for Thanksgiving, along with Amazon PRIME providing two day delivery for up to 1/2 ton of high sulphur content coal.  For an additional 10 dollar fee you can select having them deliver it to any room in your house.  This includes delivery in china and africa.  If you buy a mattress too, you can apply the same 10 dollar fee to the in room mattress delivery.  It was announced today he White House is also going to convert to direct coal heat from burning coal in the building along with all government office buildings.  The Army has announced coal powered tanks, and Tesla is said they are now developing a coal powered car.  As a promotion if you buy one, they will send you your own personal trained monkey to shovel coal into its engine.  Same thing holds for all trains, and trolleys and light rails. Trump is doing what he said in bringing back coal.  It was also just discovered that Black Lung disease is fake.  It is amazing all the stuff I am finding on Fox News.  Who Knew?  Trump, Trump going to stump for Trump!  Hamm's, the beer refreshing.

Thank you. Good old tRump bring coal back and save the world.

38 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

I think iced tea might be a good idea.  Just a thought.

Next you will suggest putting cream on to your scone first. Unthought through remarks like this cold tea stuff started the longest running war the world has known which continues to this day. The War of the Scones, Cornwall will be victorious and Devon will fall. I may not be a violent man but even I occasionally stamp my foot up and down on this subject and may family is torn apart by this. But we will unit against anyone that suggests serving tea cold is a good idea. 

1 hour ago, mthebold said:

Can I see that too? It would be nice to know when I should just walk away from a conversation. 

Sent.

1 hour ago, mthebold said:

At one point, I realized that the only way I would learn was to: 
1) Find text books that were 30+ years old.

That kind of shows, the world moves on.

8 minutes ago, mthebold said:

Allow me to explain:  there's a lucrative arrangement between academics, who can mandate the use of books in the classroom, and publishers, who profit from sales of new books.  The end result is: 

1) Dozens of books, most of dubious quality, written to fill the same need.
2) Books on long-stagnant subjects being updated every 3-5 years solely for financial gain.
3) A slow degradation in the quality of once excellent books as young academics, who take over from original authors, try to keep their writing stipends. 

If you take the perspective of an outsider, start with no assumptions, and observe academia objectively, it's a pack of monkeys f***ing a football.  Profiteering, politics, incompetence, mismanagement - all perpetuated by an endless supply of public dollars & credulity.  The only way to make academia less nauseating is to internally narrate it in Steve Irwin's voice...

Some fundamental realties stay the same but even books these days struggle to keep up with the rapid change in most areas. There was a study a while back that showed how much of a science degree was out of date from being taught in the first year to graduation. Then when someone studied 20 years ago and think they still are on top of their subject with out constantly studying is fooling themselves. I think you maybe over reacting a little bit on this subject.

Although I do think teaching practices could be improved, just because a person is an expert in a subject doesn't mean they can teach it. I was talking to the person that runs the department at MIT that help the professors improve their teaching techniques and I got the impression she would agree with that (although I'm not at all speaking for her in anyway). 

11 hours ago, DA? said:

Although I do think teaching practices could be improved, just because a person is an expert in a subject doesn't mean they can teach it. I was talking to the person that runs the department at MIT that help the professors improve their teaching techniques and I got the impression she would agree with that (although I'm not at all speaking for her in anyway). 

You seem to have a pretty remarkable life.  Curious who was the person that runs that MIT department?

38 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

You seem to have a pretty remarkable life.  Curious who was the person that runs that MIT department?

For a simple country hick it's been quite interesting so far. I assume that's public knowledge but I'm not going to name her.