Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DD

The End of Merkel Era: The Expected Defeat In Elections

Angela Merkel is to stand down as leader of the Christian Democratic Union, a post she has held for 18 years, after a dismal performance by the party in elections in the central German state of Hesse on Sunday badly dented her authority. German media said she told senior party leaders at a meeting on Monday morning that she would not stand as CDU leader at the party conference in Hamburg in December. The move spells the beginning of the end of the Merkel era. The chancellor has ruled Germany for the past 13 years, a period when Berlin’s authority and influence in the EU has steadily grown, and she has risen to Europe’s most powerful politician. Merkel will stay on as chancellor, but her decision to give up the party leadership will set in train a battle for the succession and a potentially bitter struggle for the soul of the CDU, one of Europe’s most successful political parties. Many in the party resent the way Merkel has dragged it to the political centre, and want it to return to its conservative roots. The move to abandon the chairmanship of the CDU is a major personal defeat for Merkel, who has consistently argued that the jobs of chancellor and party leader should never be split.

She held the EU together during the crisis and dealt even handedly with Greece, Italy and Brexit. Her 18 years of stable economic growth and governance will be remembered fondly. Unfortunately, regional elections are showing that Germans didn't recognize her good will to help migrants... And the "alternative" is far-right, nationalist Alternative for Germany (AfD) party

I liked her and it's going to be hard to fill her shoes.  Whilst I thought her idea to open the borders for the Syrian refugees was not well thought though, it probably was one of the most natural/human thing she did.

Merkel made strong Germany and demonstrated leadership ... She handed her hand to immigrants. It only created a right wing AfD alternative to CDU. I’m sure "all will be fine"... dark is coming...

Germany and most Germans have done very well economically over the last 18 years, thanks to a stable and intelligent government. And addressing all the negative comments in regards to refugees: I hope you will never be in a situation where you have to leave your country due to a civil war.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, 50 shades of black said:

Merkel made strong Germany and demonstrated leadership ... She handed her hand to immigrants. It only created a right wing AfD alternative to CDU. I’m sure "all will be fine"... dark is coming...

In modern Germany? I think you have misread the runes there. AfD got 13%, the Greens 19% in Hesse. Sounds like Germany is balanced with similar percentages on either side of the tipping point therefore keeping it in equilibrium. It won't make policy making easier  for whichever coalition leads the country or states for that matter but I strongly suspect that nothing radical (of any persuasion) will happen in Germany any time soon.

Practically speaking if Merkel steps down as chancellor there will be new elections.New elections would be a disaster for CDU and SPD. Whether results in  2021 would be better or not is another question. This is a weak grand  coalition who just stick together because breaking up is worse....

• Like 2

Thank God Europe is rid of Merkel and her globalist agenda. She has helped trample over the wishes of the people of all the European Nations. Too bad it took this long for the people to take charge. The European Union has proven to be a disaster for the freedoms of its citizens. Many conservative leaders are demanding changes in the way Europe progresses in the future. 

Any government(s) that do not allow freedom of speech should be overthrown. The same is being attempted right here in the U.S.A. Thankfully we have a strong Constitution that will endure if we do not allow our leaders to ignore it.

Conservatism Around The World https://docs.google.com/document/d/1twQ_yBtl-FPwhXf2mYA7qvGj1D8yts8El0m8nObWxuU/edit#

• Like 3