Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg Called To Testify Before 'Grand Committee'

Parliamentary committees in Britain and Canada on Wednesday urged Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg to testify before a joint hearing of international lawmakers examining fake news and the internet. Damian Collins, the head of the U.K. parliament's media committee, is joining forces with his Canadian counterpart, Bob Zimmer, to pressure Zuckerberg to personally take part in hearings, as he did before the U.S. Congress and the European Parliament. According to NBC News the so-called "international grand committee" session would be held Nov. 27 and could include lawmakers from other countries. "We understand that it is not possible to make yourself available to all parliaments. However, we believe that your users in other countries need a line of accountability to your organization_directly, via yourself," the pair said in a letter to Zuckerberg. "We would have thought that this responsibility is something that you would want to take up." Social media companies have been under scrutiny in Britain following allegations that political consultancy Cambridge Analytica used data from tens of millions of Facebook accounts to profile voters and help U.S. President Donald Trump's 2016 election campaign. The committee is also investigating the impact of fake news distributed via social media sites globally.
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doors are closing....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zuckerberg doesn't want to lose the power that they have gained. Big brother is watching you...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Facebook subverting democracy can be fixed: close their site during election campaign. When they start losing advert money, they'll soon find a way to stop subversion. FB needs detoxification...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could fix that problem tomorrow. Ban Facebook from the internet, just like gap. Oh, it's not a democracy....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can they keep him there? I hear Julian Assange would like a roommate... :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, ThunderBlade said:

Can they keep him there? I hear Julian Assange would like a roommate... :)

Boy, that Julian seems to be very, very worried about being killed.  How long has he been hiding in the Embassy?  The U.S. Congress invited him to testify in front of them before or during the Supreme Fiasco, er, I mean the Supreme Court Justice hearings and he wouldn't do it.  They didn't say they were going to prosecute him and he still declined and "prefers" to stay hiding in a building in plain view.  I think Donald should pre-pardon him and put him on his staff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

Boy, that Julian seems to be very, very worried about being killed.  How long has he been hiding in the Embassy?  The U.S. Congress invited him to testify in front of them before or during the Supreme Fiasco, er, I mean the Supreme Court Justice hearings and he wouldn't do it.  They didn't say they were going to prosecute him and he still declined and "prefers" to stay hiding in a building in plain view.  I think Donald should pre-pardon him and put him on his staff!

Let Julian Assange answer all questions formally from the embassy. Let the communications be witnessed and signed by him as in a legal deposition. The real reason that politicians want him in the United States is to prevent him from telling the truth about the United States government. In exchange for cooperating he should be released to his own country. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, 50 shades of black said:

I could fix that problem tomorrow. Ban Facebook from the internet, just like gap. Oh, it's not a democracy....

Do you mean Gab was banned from the internet? Its server support was removed as was its payment processor Paypal. They should be sued just like any vendor that does not serve all customers have been.Gab is expected to be back in operation this weekend. It is a real free speech platform. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites