CM

Ford, VW Want to Join Forces to Challenge Tesla, Waymo

Volkswagen  and Ford Motor are in talks to jointly develop self-driving venture aligning two of the world's largest auto makers in the industry's race to reshape the future of transportation.  The two companies are considering various options on how they would structure the new business and a deal could be announced by mid-November. 

One option could involve Volkswagen taking a stake of up to 50% in Ford’s existing driverless-car unit. Another could be the creation of a new company that would combine the auto makers’ self-driving car units, forming a new company that would create a global technology brand, and could make it easier for the two manufacturers to share ownership of new patents and intellectual property and open the venture to further partners.

VW is already linked to Aurora Innovation which is developing a self-driving system and was founded by a former Waymo exec. and Apple which would use VW's vans for a self-driving shuttle service. VW was also in talks with Waymo over their partnership in Europe. 

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1119567_could-volkswagen-be-waymos-partner-in-europe 

VW has $40 billion for developing an electric, self-driving system which is not really much because they still haven't solve their battery industry problem. They will need a lot more money to cover all those EVs. 

Everyone think that  Waymo is away ahead in this race but it could just be selection bias because it's among the few that we have any public visibility into. There are so many companies working on their own solution who are totally private and don't show things to the public. This field is extremely competitive including this  VW - Ford venture. 

Waymo is definitely winning in this driverless car race. You can't get to full self-driving without extensive on-road testing. And as far as we know, no one has logged anywhere near as many miles as Waymo.

Self driving vehicles are just not smart enough to handle the day to day difference in our highways, and we still have yet to resolve issues that arise from emergency situations. We humans, after years of experience, make snap decisions that a computer just can't do. Simply put, what if your truck ran into the situation where it has to choose between hitting a pedestrian, hitting a group of children on the sidewalk because of the pedestrian, and keeping the occupants of the vehicle alive? What choice does the AI make? We are just not ready as a society for this because so many drivers don't pay attention now to what is going on around them while they are driving without an automated system, and proof is out there now that drivers that own cars with self driving capabilities are NOT paying attention at all when the system is engaged. Running into a wall at highway speeds, or the back of a standing firetruck, need I continue? Just watch the young kids at the stop lights, as soon as the car stops what do they do? Pick up that cell phone, of course. I pointed out that if you are at a stop light and have your nose buried in that phone how do you know what is actually going on around you? Like that truck that is about to rear end you and will probably do serious harm to you or even kill you if you have no clue it is about to happen. They don't realize that even if you can't move out of the way you can at least brace up, put your head back against the headrest and at least give yourself a chance, but no, they have their heads buried in face book or whatever other crap that they are doing on that phone now. Absolutely no situational awareness. That phone just runs their lives now, they can't even imagine life without it. I am from an older generation that grew up without all that, and I think I survived just fine without it, I think. So put on the auto pilot and bury the nose in the phone. And sue when an accident causes harm, right? My phone gets dropped on the seat and I ignore it until I can get time to look at it, and that doesn't mean at a stop light either. I mean in a parking lot or my driveway where I can be assured of the safety situation.

https://www.cellcontrol.com/fleet-blog/3-reasons-why-self-driving-cars-arent-the-answer-to-distracted-driving 

• Like 1

Fjord Beatle

Mustang Tick

VFW Explorer

VW Pinto

Left Lane Tree Hugger