50 shades of black

Big Brother Is Watching You: Chinese ‘Gait Recognition’ Tech IDs People By How They Walk

Chinese authorities have begun deploying a new surveillance tool: “gait recognition” software that uses people’s body shapes and how they walk to identify them, even when their faces are hidden from cameras. Already used by police on the streets of Beijing and Shanghai, “gait recognition” is part of a push across China to develop artificial-intelligence and data-driven surveillance that is raising concern about how far the technology will go. Huang Yongzhen, the CEO of Watrix, said that its system can identify people from up to 50 meters (165 feet) away, even with their back turned or face covered. This can fill a gap in facial recognition, which needs close-up, high-resolution images of a person’s face to work. “You don’t need people’s cooperation for us to be able to recognize their identity,” Huang said in an interview in his Beijing office. “Gait analysis can’t be fooled by simply limping, walking with splayed feet or hunching over, because we’re analyzing all the features of an entire body.” Watrix announced last month that it had raised 100 million yuan ($14.5 million) to accelerate the development and sale of its gait recognition technology, according to Chinese media reports. Chinese police are using facial recognition to identify people in crowds and nab jaywalkers, and are developing an integrated national system of surveillance camera data. Not everyone is comfortable with gait recognition’s use. The technology isn’t new. Scientists in Japan, the United Kingdom and the U.S. Defense Information Systems Agency have been researching gait recognition for over a decade, trying different ways to overcome skepticism that people could be recognized by the way they walk. Professors from Osaka University have worked with Japan’s National Police Agency to use gait recognition software on a pilot basis since 2013.But few have tried to commercialize gait recognition. Israel-based FST Biometrics shut down earlier this year amid company infighting after encountering technical difficulties with its products, according to former advisory board member Gabriel Tal.

image.png.126d3e24dc2ced859aa748f3944e7009.png

That ain't good. Insane. The State and police will abuse their power by imposing control of people.

• Like 1

Sorry, but Tom Cruise invented this for Mission Impossible 5: Rogue Nation.

• Like 1

Terribly, how "good" the Chinese are at spying on and controlling their people through technology...

• Like 1

How do they say Big Brother watching over you in Chinese?

• Like 1

Does it work if you intentionally walk like a gangsta but your not?

• Like 3

Orwellian nightmare driven by the world's most oppressive despicable regime...

• Like 1

Brilliant......this is what i have been waiting for.    To make a very long story short, humans are dumb. And as i have always said, until the entire public sphere is under survellience, only then will humans be able to live safe and peacfully.  Get over the whole concept of privacy everyone.  Your blind to the future. If you want privacy go hike a mountian, even then you will have satelities on you. what are you trying to hide, and since the internet is 100 percent monitered, and most peoples vices reside here, even your most personal and protected side of your self...the computer is monitered.    For those of you accusing china of this and that, and have never travelled to this country.  I suggest take a trip. ..........SMILE YOUR ON CAMERA

• Like 1

in actuality, its this type of technology that will allow people to flourish peacefully amongst  one another. And although this may be chinese technology, this will be used in the most violent and abhorrent places on the planet, which is along long ways from where china is. 

(edited)

6 hours ago, Danial Gable said:

Get over the whole concept of privacy everyone.

Danial, tell me do you like boys or girls?  And if that question isn't intrusive in your opinion, I can keep asking more and more personal questions.  Maybe you are more protective of someone else privacy, a daughter, or a spouse... what is her cup size?  (full disclosure,, I won't keep asking, because it's none of my business, but I hope you see my point.

I love autonomy, and I feel it is part of our natural being.  In the grand scheme, I don't disagree it's happening, and will continue to happen.  On a very detailed, close inspection of that big picture, denying privacy to people will cause uprising before it's all done.  

Edited by Mike Marcellus
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just check on facebook.  You have my full name, you can go and see alot about me. The ai of the internet of things already knows these trivial things about people. privacy is an illusion, and an unnecessary element of human existence.  Obviously, i enjoy "privacy", from my neighbors and my family and and friends. i enjoy to spend time alone, and be in peaceful beautiful places in nature.  But i am unconcerned being tracked by an ai biometric system which has no relevance to my daily life, except for the fact, in theory, it will make my society safer. These systems are not going to be used against people who have nothing to hide, and in reality will be directed towards those who are causing negative experiences for others, like violent attacks, terrorist attacks, child abuse, which AI will be able to locate record and prosecute, and other terrible things dumb people do because they feel they are anonymous.  i dont care if big brother watches me in public spheres, and i applaud the advancement. As i said previously, using technology is the best way for humanity to reach a common moral ground, cause god knows religions have failed miserably 

52 minutes ago, Danial Gable said:

Just check on facebook.  You have my full name, you can go and see alot about me. The ai of the internet of things already knows these trivial things about people. privacy is an illusion, and an unnecessary element of human existence.  Obviously, i enjoy "privacy", from my neighbors and my family and and friends. i enjoy to spend time alone, and be in peaceful beautiful places in nature.  But i am unconcerned being tracked by an ai biometric system which has no relevance to my daily life, except for the fact, in theory, it will make my society safer. These systems are not going to be used against people who have nothing to hide, and in reality will be directed towards those who are causing negative experiences for others, like violent attacks, terrorist attacks, child abuse, which AI will be able to locate record and prosecute, and other terrible things dumb people do because they feel they are anonymous.  i dont care if big brother watches me in public spheres, and i applaud the advancement. As i said previously, using technology is the best way for humanity to reach a common moral ground, cause god knows religions have failed miserably 

I made the decision to be open on all my social sites, and anyone can know whatever they want about my views. In actuality, the various governmental levels, or even anyone willing to do some searches, can find out almost anything I might want to conceal. To become a truly private person I would have to support myself with cash earnings, use no credit cards, assume a false identity, wear a disguise, move, use throw away phones, give up government benefits, etc. etc. This was all predicted in the Bible by the way. 

I have a large topic on Privacy, Big Brother, and Spying at https://docs.google.com/document/d/180xMs2bPaqtbPGo0HHRzhO1U6lsED1XEvO9R_tX3BqE/edit

7 hours ago, Danial Gable said:

cause god knows religions have failed miserably

I like that, made me laugh

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 11/6/2018 at 8:30 PM, ronwagn said:

I made the decision to be open on all my social sites, and anyone can know whatever they want about my views. In actuality, the various governmental levels, or even anyone willing to do some searches, can find out almost anything I might want to conceal. To become a truly private person I would have to support myself with cash earnings, use no credit cards, assume a false identity, wear a disguise, move, use throw away phones, give up government benefits, etc. etc. This was all predicted in the Bible by the way. 

I have a large topic on Privacy, Big Brother, and Spying at https://docs.google.com/document/d/180xMs2bPaqtbPGo0HHRzhO1U6lsED1XEvO9R_tX3BqE/edit

You can defeat the combination Administrative State and Surveillance State by some simple adjustments to your lifestyle.  Here goes:

1.   As to street surveillance cameras, wear a broad-rimmed hat, i.e. a Texas Stetson.  Do not look up.  Those street cameras are pole-mounted and above your sight line, so your hat will shield your face. 

2.   When you go out, wear an eye-patch over one eye.  all facial recognition technology is based on measurements from the nose to the eyes, so a patch wrecks the design, and you fall between the cracks.

3.   If you have no eye-patch, you can paint zebra zig-zags across your face or part of your face, using black or grey make-up material. The pattern you use is the same as was used by the Allies during WWII to confuse distance measuring equipment on enemy ships.  Works fine a half-century later. 

4.   Make your public walks in a path underneath tree branches. 

5.   Take a bus or subway for part of your journey.  Try to get on in a place where there is no camera.  The bus cameras are typically not linked to the network, they are to some CD inside the bus for later retrieval. 

6.   Refuse to use credit cards.  Set up an account that has only a small amount in it, sign into pay-pal and for on-line purchases ship to a p.o. box. Register the p.o. box to a dead end address. Move money into that account in cash in small deposits. Use an accommodation name for the account.  If you have multiple Christian names, mix them up.  When you have children, give them at least four first-names so they have maneuvering room.  Name your sons in a sequence so that the letters are a government acronym that will be useful.  I named one son with names where some of the initials form "FAA."  Now he can get a blazer and stitch FAA across the front breast pocket and breeze right through Security at airports in his life.  Remember the famous line from Star Wars:  "The Force is strong over the dull-witted." 

7.   The best place to hide is in plain sight.  Just block the line from the camera to your face.  As far as those "gait" cameras go, use an umbrella and a loose-fitting raincoat. Keep the umbrella tilted forward, should obscure the software scan. Stay on your toes! 

• Like 4

On 11/7/2018 at 3:53 AM, Mike Marcellus said:

Danial, tell me do you like boys or girls?  And if that question isn't intrusive in your opinion, I can keep asking more and more personal questions.  Maybe you are more protective of someone else privacy, a daughter, or a spouse... what is her cup size?  (full disclosure,, I won't keep asking, because it's none of my business, but I hope you see my point.

I love autonomy, and I feel it is part of our natural being.  In the grand scheme, I don't disagree it's happening, and will continue to happen.  On a very detailed, close inspection of that big picture, denying privacy to people will cause uprising before it's all done.  

Wow.  That is a way at looking at this that I have never seen before.  Seriously.  It sent chills down my spine.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 7:26 AM, Danial Gable said:

I'll do @Epic a solid and bring him into this.  He's on your side in this debate, I believe.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 2:29 PM, Mike Marcellus said:

If AI can get the Catholic Church under control, I guess I'm all for it.

(edited)

On 11/8/2018 at 8:27 PM, Geoff Guenther said:

This means that, officially, China now has a Ministry of Silly Walks.

Thank you for that.  Always good to see the Minister keeping up the gaits!

Edited by Dan Warnick
k
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

The best place to hide is in plain sight

Agreed. Nice to hear from you.

9 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:
On 11/7/2018 at 2:29 AM, Mike Marcellus said:

If AI can get the Catholic Church under control, I guess I'm all for it.

I almost didn't comment.  I'm an atheist, not proud of it, but not ashamed either.  What I have learned is people will joke about everything, except their own religion.  (Please, if you are the exception to my rule, I believe you.  ...but in general) I found being honest about my feelings is a contentious.

21 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

Wow.  That is a way at looking at this that I have never seen before.  Seriously.  It sent chills down my spine.

Well I agree with you often in our discussions, so I'm glad I could contribute. 

One of the better take aways for me, from this forum, is the diversity in the world, that I have not experienced.   And to look at my own community/country from different perspectives ...outside looking in, vs. inside looking out.  The United States may not always exist.  Western culture could be forgotten.  And the biggest contributor to the decline is the mis-conception that the way of life I enjoy, and want for others, is NOT strong, not secure in bedrock.  Rather it is fragile, precarious, it needs protecting.  It needs our attention at the very least.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Mike Marcellus said:

I almost didn't comment.  I'm an atheist, not proud of it, but not ashamed either.  What I have learned is people will joke about everything, except their own religion.  (Please, if you are the exception to my rule, I believe you.  ...but in general) I found being honest about my feelings is a contentious.

Not sure I get your point.  Is your comment about my comment?  I am not religious either, although I do advocate praying to Joe Pesci, as others will attest.  Joe Pesci gets things done!  Otherwise, I just didn't get the comment.

13 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

Not sure I get your point.  Is your comment about my comment?  I am not religious either, although I do advocate praying to Joe Pesci, as others will attest.  Joe Pesci gets things done!  Otherwise, I just didn't get the comment.

I think I was actually commenting on my own comment.  Your reply (anyone replying at all) surprised me.  My mind wants to defend the statement I made.  Internally, my heart really wants to keep looking for answers.  

Yep, I really was talking to myself, sorry Dan!! 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mike Marcellus said:

I think I was actually commenting on my own comment.  Your reply (anyone replying at all) surprised me.  My mind wants to defend the statement I made.  Internally, my heart really wants to keep looking for answers.  

Yep, I really was talking to myself, sorry Dan!! 

Not at all.  

On 11/6/2018 at 7:26 PM, Danial Gable said:

These systems are not going to be used against people who have nothing to hide

awwww.. so cute!!

• Like 3