A Future of Ultrarich vs Useless

(edited)

3 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Tech C.E.O.s Are in Love With Their Principal Doomsayer

One of the more disturbing stories I've read recently but quite plausible, I'd say. What I found particularly disturbing is the fact younger readers of "Brave New World" can't see what's wrong with the world detailed in it. 

Interesting article could have been more to the point but disturbing views coming out. Mind you here in the UK politicians are following George Orwell's 1984 as a handbook on citizen surveillance and control so not sure which is worse Brave New World or 1984 at least the former the denizens were drugged into happiness in the UK you cannot even smoke a joint.

Edited by jaycee
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both are equally appalling to me. But you do have a point in favour of Brave New World as less scary thanks to the drugs and the overall emotional detachment from everything. or this might be actually scarier. I can't decide.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are entering a time that will be very disruptive to society, economics and politics, but for the most part the world seems to have it's head stuck in the sands of the 20th century. We must start planning what happens when AI over takes us, when robots out compete us in the work place (don't think you are safe doctors and lawyers are some of the first to go), when massive industries crumble almost over night. One of the big ones, is what happens when we can extend our life spans considerably, to late for me but I expect my son barring accident will be functionally immortal. Technology is changing faster than we have ever known and speeding up but we are run by those trying to live as they did 40 years ago and been voted in by people with similar views.

I'm positive on the long term future of our world but short to medium term it could well turn a bit sour for a while. I'm glad my son is young, I shall encourage him to stay in education for as long as possible (luckily he has his mums smarts and my good looks) after that the future should be becoming a little clearer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, DA? said:

Technology is changing faster than we have ever known and speeding up but we are run by those trying to live as they did 40 years ago and been voted in by people with similar views.

In fact, a large part of the world still lives like this, just think about Africa and a lot of Asia, regardless of what China is doing with technology. What you're saying is absolutely true about Western Europe and the U.S. and Canada, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Both are equally appalling to me. But you do have a point in favour of Brave New World as less scary thanks to the drugs and the overall emotional detachment from everything. or this might be actually scarier. I can't decide.

Drugs wins everytime. If you are happy nothing else matters. So long as the drug supply continues there are no worries. In the end a happy life is the most important thing as you only get one shot at it. 1984 nobody is happy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

In fact, a large part of the world still lives like this, just think about Africa and a lot of Asia, regardless of what China is doing with technology. What you're saying is absolutely true about Western Europe and the U.S. and Canada, though.

Even Africa and Asia for just about all of it much has changed over the last 40 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, jaycee said:

Drugs wins everytime. If you are happy nothing else matters. So long as the drug supply continues there are no worries. In the end a happy life is the most important thing as you only get one shot at it. 1984 nobody is happy

As with every thing Lemmy knew best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPISXvQwm_E

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alarm over talks to implant UK employees with microchips

Jowan Österlund, the founder of Biohax and a former body piercer, told the Telegraph that his microchips, which cost £150 each, could help financial and legal firms improve security. “These companies have sensitive documents they are dealing with. [The chips] would allow them to set restrictions for whoever.”

... Biohax has plans to open an office in London, according to its website. It claims 4,000 people have been microchipped, mostly in Sweden. It is working with the state-owned Swedish rail firm Statens Järnvägar, to allow its passengers to travel via chip implants rather than train tickets. Biohax did not respond to requests for comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently heard about the chipped Swedes. Call me alarmist but I'm far from thrilled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

I recently heard about the chipped Swedes. Call me alarmist but I'm far from thrilled.

Yeah, but I had some chipped beetroots the other day and they were actually very good, so I'd try them before judging.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites