Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VK

Why EV Drivers like to Lease and not to Own Electric cars?

U.S. drivers lease almost 80 percent of battery electric vehicles and 55 percent of plug-in hybrids. They choose to lease instead of buying these cars. Why is that? 

expensive maintenance maybe? Also, I am not convinced all those shop would know how to fix those cars

Tuffy Car Center near me surely can't

2 minutes ago, JohnAtronis said:

expensive maintenance maybe? Also, I am not convinced all those shop would know how to fix those cars

It goes along with the general leasing trend in the U.S. right now

(edited)

2 minutes ago, Joanna said:

It goes along with the general leasing trend in the U.S. right now

maybe , but in Europe not so much. For instance, people in Norway are buying rather than leasing. Mostly due the help of Norway’s generous subsidies and other benefits for people who go electric, since its parliament hopes to phase out the sales of gas cars by 2025. Do we have any in US?

Edited by Meanwhile

3 minutes ago, Meanwhile said:

maybe , but in Europe not so much. For instance, people in Norway are buying rather than leasing. Mostly due the help of Norway’s generous subsidies and other benefits for people who go electric, since its parliament hopes to phase out the sales of gas cars by 2025. Do we have any in US?

we do, but I guess it is not enough for ordinary truck lover. Buyers of plug-in hybrids and electric cars benefit from a tax credit of $2,500 to $7,500, depending on the size of the battery in the car. On the low end of the spectrum, cars with 4 kWh battery packs will qualify for a $2,500 tax credit. The credit maxes out at $7,500 for cars with a 16 kWh battery pack, like the Chevy Volt. The credits were provided as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, otherwise known as the “stimulus bill.” That is Federal incentive and then every state offers different range of own benefits

I think  it's  about public policy to spur EVs adoption and still meager demand for these vehicles. 

It's like with cell phones, buyers just want to keep it up with new models and change constantly their "obsolete" models. And it's much easier with leasing. 

Definitely better to lease ... when you lease, as someone said, you just trade in for the newer model and don't have to bother with maintenance. 

I think it's better to buy than to lease if you want to save your money. And isn't better to own something you are paying for? 

With lease, this restriction is always an issue because you are paying a penalty at the end of your lease if you go over your mileage allotment. And if  you buy an EV, you can drive it without any mileage restrictions.