Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
50 shades of black

At U.N. climate talks, US Administration Plans Sideshow On Coal

According to Reuters, the Trump administration plans to set up a side-event promoting fossil fuels at the annual U.N. climate talks next month, repeating a strategy that infuriated global-warming activists during last year’s talks, according to three people with knowledge of the matter.As with the 2017 gathering in Bonn, Germany, the administration plans to highlight the benefits of technologies that more efficiently burn fuels including coal, the sources said. This year’s talks in Katowice, Poland - located in a mining region that is among the most polluted in Europe - are intended to hammer out a rule book to the 2015 Paris agreement on climate change, which set a sweeping goal of ending the fossil-fuel era this century by spurring a trillion-dollar transition to cleaner energy sources such as solar and wind power. Even as the Trump administration aims to promote energy strategies that could detract from those international goals, it also plans to let State Department officials continue negotiating the climate accord - a recognition that the next U.S. president may drop the nation’s opposition to the pact. “The White House seems to have taken the view that it’s important to let technocrats complete the work of the rule book. It’s in the U.S. national interest to be at the table and see an outcome that emphasizes transparency, holds countries accountable,” said one of the sources, who is familiar with State Department plans.The White House and the State Department did not respond to requests for comment / said Reuters in report.

Indirectly, climate change today: at least 56 killed, 130 missing in California wildfire.

• Upvote 1

Coal dumped as IEA turns to wind and solar to solve climate challenge

“ ...coal generation would have to be drastically scaled down if the world has any hope of getting anywhere near the targets needed to address climate change.”

According to WHO, 7,000,000 are dying prematurely  every year - and billions of people’s lives are being diminished - due to air pollution caused by burning fossil fuels. Clean air is a human right.

• Upvote 1

Generally speaking, governmental policies are only hope, i.e. carbon fee and refund, to boost renewables and reduce fossil fuels.If we leave climate change up to ‘the markets’ our kids don’t stand a chance...

• Upvote 1

The Paris Accord needs readdressing to encompass trade in coal re emission targets and to find accord within the state system on sustainable economic growth, how to determine it and realize it. Deeds, not words....

Climate change needs intelligent investigation, debate with scientists on both sides for any hope for real understands and solutions - not academic students, politicians, bloggers and authors who refuse to share their findings? Too many theories, too little practical solution.

Image result for climate change coal world

Only making a new policy measures in place to reduce carbon dioxide emissions, the surge in renewables and decline of coal could reduce and save us from the worst effects of climate change

Since tRump came to be dictator of the USA (from what he says I think that's his title) coal has not just continued it's declined but it's jumped off a cliff. It's economics, coal for energy is gasping it's last few breaths.

5 hours ago, pinto said:

Clean air is a human right.

says who?

24 minutes ago, Mike Marcellus said:

says who?

any decent human being. That narrows down the field.

2 minutes ago, DA? said:

any decent human being. That narrows down the field.

No, it does not.  For the record I'm for clean air for me and my children, for you and your children too.  But It's debatable whether I was born with the right to clean air.   I was born with the right to breath.  Feeding, clothing, and housing might be considered human rights, but I say those things are up to me.  Health care a human right? Debatable.   So please be more specific in your answer, to the question, "Who said you have the right to clean air?"

1 hour ago, Mike Marcellus said:

No, it does not.  For the record I'm for clean air for me and my children, for you and your children too.  But It's debatable whether I was born with the right to clean air.   I was born with the right to breath.  Feeding, clothing, and housing might be considered human rights, but I say those things are up to me.  Health care a human right? Debatable.   So please be more specific in your answer, to the question, "Who said you have the right to clean air?"

Refer to my previous reply, it's specific enough.

2 minutes ago, DA? said:

Refer to my previous reply, it's specific enough.

Ahhh,,, decent human beings, of course.  Thank goodness decent human beings are in charge of the world's resources.

• Like 1

(edited)

whoops wrong post

Edited by NatGasDude