IG

the Price of Regular Gas is RISING FAST

(edited)

On 1/4/2019 at 6:41 PM, Dan Warnick said:

Hi Illurion.  I lived Margate FL and worked in Miami for a couple of years back in the last century.  Considering that Florida had no state income tax, can we assume that consumer taxes on things like gas and diesel are generally higher than other states that do have income taxes?

Good question.

I do not really know.

So i did a search (duckduckgo) and found a 2017 article that says this:

Florida's gas tax is one of the highest in the country, totaling 36.59 cents per gallon. An additional 18.4 cents goes to the federal government

As for whether it is true or not i do not know.

A few years back,  i asked a former local Mayor,  who's family is a major gasoline distributor,   what the percentage of profit his company made over the wholesale price plus State taxes,  and he said he did not know.  ( i did not believe him )

What i did find here in this area is that retail prices are "zip code" based.

The poorer the "zip code",  the cheaper the gasoline,  and vice-versa.

I actually drive about 2 miles into a poorer area in a different zip code when i buy gas.  Save on average,  about 5 cents per gallon.

My youngest brother lives near the beach,  and never buys gas there,  as it is usually about 15 cents per gallon cheaper if he drives inland to fill up.

Edited by Illurion
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

Hi Illurion.  I lived Margate FL and worked in Miami for a couple of years back in the last century.  Considering that Florida had no state income tax, can we assume that consumer taxes on things like gas and diesel are generally higher than other states that do have income taxes?

You are probably 100% on that Dan, Texas has same tax rates on fuel as Illinois. Go figure...…..

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 10:24 AM, Dan Warnick said:

Aha!  You're a trucker?  Years ago I used to drive rigs around my area related to farming and construction, nothing long haul.  Loved it!  I mean truly loved it.

So, I've been waiting for the opportunity to ask a trucker what they think of the very real possibility that semis could be one of the first targets for auto-drive implementation.  What do you guys see out in the field?  Do you know what real world testing is going on and how effective, or not, it is?  Are the trucking companies pushing for auto-drive, as one would expect?  Anything else you can think of about that would be of interest to us go-kart drivers?

I did long haul, I literally took a load from Long Island NY to Long Beach CA to go overseas. I have read about the autopilot trucks and they seem to be useful for the long stretches between big cities, but I wouldn't trust it to try driving in rush hour traffic. I have driven through heavy congestion and you have to be able to exercise caution and be on the lookout, but also be aggressive with caution. I see an autonomous truck as not being able to get anywhere, it will be constantly stopping for the "go cart" drivers that will cut them off. This is where a human can assess the situation and realize that driver is getting over, whereas the autopilot will just want to STOP. Most new trucks are equipped with radar systems that will give the driver a warning beeper when they get close, and when they get too close the system will automatically apply the brakes. I had that happen on numerous occasions, and I have even felt the trailer starting to slide to one side or the other before I was able to override the system. When you push on the accelerator it lets the computer know that you are paying attention and relinquishes control right back to you.

Next problem I see is getting the trailer backed into a dock. There will have to be someone there to perform that function until docks can be set up to handle that task. I was delivering a load in Syracuse that I had to jackknife the trailer into the dock, there was not enough space between the dock and the 6 foot high retaining wall. I was parked on the dock with the tractor at a 45 degree angle. There are lots of docks with those kinds of idiosyncrasies, especially in the northeastern states in the older cities that were built around horse and buggy traffic. There has been real world testing in Colorado, a Coca-Cola truck I believe drove the truck down the highway, but a human driver took over any time the truck was off the highway. I do see that it would be beneficial for a driver to be able to let the autopilot take over on the long stretches helping with fatigue. 

But I ask you, in the light of the accidents we are seeing with self driving vehicles, do you think WE are ready for self driving vehicles. Many can't keep their attention on the road without self driving features, just can't put the phone down and drive. We have seen the accidents that have happened there. Now take the wheel away and NO ONE will be paying attention, until the metal starts crunching and cars going everywhere. Now imagine a vehicle that is somewhere just below 40 tons being involved in that tangled mess. The FMCSA has the data and they can tell you that 80% of all accidents between a truck and passenger vehicle are caused by the passenger vehicle. Most of those accidents the driver of the rig will walk away virtually unscathed, while the passenger vehicle rarely walks away unharmed. I believe the autonomous trucks will have to be able to do something I don't believe will ever happen, predict. I can look at a lot of other vehicles around me and just know in my gut they are about to do something really stupid, how does an auto pilot system do that. I can be proactive, whereas a auto pilot will be reactive. I could foresee the ignorance about to happen and be taking steps to avoid before anything actually happens. All the auto pilot can do is react to what is unfolding as it is happening. Sometimes that is way too late.

As a driver I would watch around me and try to assume the worst(truck drivers have to be card carrying members of the pessimist's club), but if all else fails, I would never try to just jam on the brakes in an emergency situation. You could cause a jack knife or be swerving to avoid someone, and you could seriously injure those around you. My advise is, keep the dash cam running, brake hard and even keeping the trailer and truck under control, and run over the idiot doing stupid things in front of you if you have to. You will walk away and have proof of the other drivers stupidity. I had a guy in Midland/Odessa area on I-20 pull a stupid stunt, he pulled over right in front of me and brake checked me. I kept my foot on the accelerator and caught up really quick, and that F250 Super Duty let out a plume of black smoke when he realized I wasn't playing along with him. I would have bounced that pickup right off the road rather than endanger the other innocents around me. How can an autonomous vehicle do that?

There will also be those jerks that will do that to any autonomous truck, just to keep it from being able to move anywhere. Could you imagine, all you have to do is stop, the freight will stop with you. So if you are in a group that doesn't like Wal-Mart for example, you could very easily disrupt their supply chain..... I could tell you stories that would make your hair curl and butt pucker, some of the things I've seen.

• Like 1

update:

For 3 weeks now,  the price of gasoline here in North Florida has stayed at $1.92 per gallon.

It reached the low of $1.92 per gallon when WTI was at $45.10 per barrel.

However,   during these same last 3 weeks that the price of gasoline remained unchanged at $1.92,  the price of WTI increased from $45.10 to $52.01 as of today...

Today,  in one large increase,  the price of gasoline here in North Florida increased from $1.92 per gallon yesterday,  to $2.19 per gallon today.

That is a whopping $ .27 cents per gallon increase.........  ALL IN ONE DAY......

The last time there was a large increase like this was on 12/8/2018,  when the price of gasoline increased from $2.03 per gallon to $2.19 per gallon overnight.

That was immediately after the recent OPEC cuts were announced......

BUT,  while the gasoline price went up on 12/8/2018,  the price of WTI "DID NOT.".  In fact,  WTI started dropping further down to $45.10.

It looks like today was an "adjustment" to bring the gasoline price "back into line" with the barrel price,  as the last time the price of WTI was at $52.30 ,  the price of gasoline at that time was $2.19..............

So,  looks like we are balanced out again,  as we are the same $2.19 per gallon for approx the same $52.00 per barrel.

ps:   yes,  i know that "officially",  pricing is based on BRENT,  and not WTI,  but i track local gasoline prices,  and match them with the WTI at the time as a personal project.

update:

Tuesday, 1/16/2019,   the price of gasoline here in North Florida rose from $1.92 per gallon to $2.19 per gallon in one day.

Today,  Thursday, 1/18/2019,   the price dropped from $2.19 to $2.17 per gallon.

A rather quick drop of 2 cents per gallon.

Makes me think that Tuesdays rise was more "greed" related on the Wholesale side,  rather than to balance the recent small rise in WTI from $45.00 per barrel to $52.00 per barrel.

We will see.

Hello All:

It seems like forever that i was last typing on this keyboard.

I had another heart issue,  and died again on January 21st.

My defibrillator had to shock me several times to bring me back,  and doing so killed the defibrillator battery.

So they had to cut me open and give me another one with a charged battery.

I spent two agonizing weeks in the Hospital again,  and have been home a week.

Had some complications that kept me bedridden.

I see that lots has happened over the last few weeks.

Lots of new posted subjects.

It will take me a while to catch up and read it.

Anyway,  as for an update on local gasoline in North Florida,   when i last updated almost a month ago,  the price had just jumped from $1.92 to $2.19,  and had then started to drop again.

I was in the hospital after that,  but my Sons say that the price continued to drop from $2.19 down to $2.07,  and then jumped back up to $2.29.

It apparently then started dropping again,  and is currently $2.09 here in North Florida.

My Sons did not update my log,  so i do no know what the corresponding WTI was for the various price changes during the last few weeks.

Have a nice day.

update:

Good Morning:    As of Sunday,  2/17/2019,  the price of gasoline here in North Florida had dropped to $2.06 per gallon.

Then yesterday, Monday, 2/18/2019,  the price jumped from $2.06 to $2.29 per gallon.

Diesel remained unchanged at $2.79 per gallon.

The WTI price per barrel as of yesterday was $56.0......

(edited)

On 2/19/2019 at 8:51 AM, Illurion said:

update:

Good Morning:    As of Sunday,  2/17/2019,  the price of gasoline here in North Florida had dropped to $2.06 per gallon.

Then yesterday, Monday, 2/18/2019,  the price jumped from $2.06 to $2.29 per gallon.

Diesel remained unchanged at $2.79 per gallon.

The WTI price per barrel as of yesterday was $56.0......

update:

Good Evening:

On Wednesday,  2/20/2019   of last week,  the price of gasoline rose from $2.29 to $2.35 per gallon...

Today,  Tuesday, 2/26/2019,  it rose again from $2.35 to $2.49 per gallon here in North Florida.........

WTI is $56.15

THIS IS NOT GOOD NEWS FOR USA CONSUMERS..........  a rise of 44 cents per gallon in 8 days... (Feb 18th to the 26th..)

Edited by Illurion

On 2/26/2019 at 6:26 PM, Illurion said:

update:

Good Evening:

On Wednesday of last week,  the price of gasoline rose from $2.29 to $2.35 per gallon...

Today,  Tuesday, 2/26/2019,  it rose again from $2.29 to $2.49 per gallon here in North Florida.........

THIS IS NOT GOOD NEWS FOR USA CONSUMERS..........

That is why Trump is whining and moaning and tweeting at OPEC.  There is no reason for oil prices to be sub 50ish so someone is taking the initiative to help prices.  Lord knows there is little production discipline out here in the patch.  Prices jump, activity goes up, prices drop, tap the brakes.  Do people have a fit when say dairy products, pork and bacon see a price hike?  I ask that not being a smarta$$ but seems gas is more spotlighted...

(edited)

Price of gas in Florida: $2.499 (Brevard County).

Gasoline/KWH Conversion: 1 Gal = 32Kwh.

Kwh needed to convert CO2 and water to isooctane: roughly 80Kwh.

$2.50 x 7 years * 365.25 days = $6391.87. Rounds nicely to $6400.

80 Kwh per day divided by 5 hours = 16 kilowatts of panels

$6400 / 16,000 watts = 40 cents.

Therefore, in theory, it is possible to make gasoline from a solar powered installation costing $6400 at the same price one buys gas from the gas station.

Solar panels in the US can be had for as little as 33 cents per watt, but 40 cents is a common price. The price of the remaining system would obviously be extra.

Every time the price of solar or other RE technologies declines, the viability of conventional mineral extraction diminishes correspondingly.

Ad for Chinese solar panels FOB Shenzhen. Not useful for anyone calculating costs in the US, however these costs would be applicable in large parts of Asia. Vendor name has been blanked out.

Domestic US vendor with warehouse in Miami. Note that the 33 cents per watt panels are used.

ChineseSolarPanelPrice20190302.png

SunelecPriceList20190302.png

Edited by Meredith Poor
Added domestic US price list
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

On 2/26/2019 at 7:26 PM, Illurion said:

update:

Good Evening:

On Wednesday 2/20/2019  of last week,  the price of gasoline rose from $2.29 to $2.35 per gallon...

Today,  Tuesday, 2/26/2019,  it rose again from $2.35 to $2.49 per gallon here in North Florida.........

WTI is $56.15

THIS IS NOT GOOD NEWS FOR USA CONSUMERS...........  a rise of 44 cents per gallon in 8 days... (Feb 18th to the 26th..)

update:

Good evening:

Back on 2/26/2019,  Gasoline rose from $2.35 to $2.49 per gallon here in North Florida.   WTI was $56.15...

Today,  3/5/2019,   the price of gasoline has dropped down to $2.32 per gallon.....  WTI is $56.05....

Obviously these recent price increases were GREED....  not economics.........

Edited by Illurion

update:

Today,  3/12/2019,  the price of gasoline jumped from $2.32 per gallon to $2.59 per gallon here in North Florida......

Todays WTI price of $57.05 is up only 79 cents from yesterday,  and the Brent today of $66.75 is only 35 cents more than yesterday...

• Like 1

(edited)

update:

3 days ago,  on 3/27/2019,   the price of gasoline,  which had dropped from $2.59 on 3/12/2019 to $2.47 by 3/26/2019,   suddenly rose overnight to $2.71 per gallon here in North Florida....    That was a  .24 cents per gallon jump in less than an hour.

The WTI price was $60.05 per barrel,  while Brent was $67.50.....

For some reason,  the spread between Brent and WTI,  which is usually around $10.00 per barrel,   has narrowed to only around $7.50 per barrel....

In the last 3 weeks.....  The price of WTI has gone up by over $3.50 per barrel,  while Brent has only gone up by $1.00 per barrel.......

This makes no sense given that WTI production has been increasing.....

Unless "price manipulation" is occurring.......

Edited by Illurion

48 minutes ago, Illurion said:

Unless "price manipulation" is occurring.......

Or unless the European economy is going to pot.

(edited)

I think what you forget, is that the current day spot and rbob for crude and gasoline do not necessarily reflect or represent price at the pump. A lot of pricing depends on the load to load basis of the locations, or if those locations hedge their fuel loads/buy contracts. The very large peaks and valleys you see I'd be willing to bet are because of the latter. And that their pricing stays put while others move up/down incrementally in smaller doses. You are seeing the hedge/contract change month to month. 

Like I've said before. I'm in that business and there is not any mystique or mystery to it as many think. 

I will also tell you that my brother owned a sunoco in Florida. And those guys baffle me with their fuel margins. Never more than .02 cpg, and never uncommon to sell at a loss of 0-.05cpg. Again, I'm in this business and that baffles me. Here in CA the typical fuel margin is .15-.25cpg. Because you simply cannot do business like those in Florida. And I cannot wrap my head around their inside store sales volume to be high enough to float overhead cost, and cover losses at large volume on the pumps. 

Also for a little more insight. Refining margins have been running in the .30cpg range for the refineries. And the way to follow that is to follow the crack spreads

Edited by J.mo