Consumer gadgets will drop down the ranks of lithium-ion battery users in coming years. Not because they won’t need the power, but because they’ll be overtaken by an onslaught of electric vehicles and, toward 2030, by stationary storage for wind and solar power, according to Bloomberg NEF. By 2030 nearly eight out of every 10 batteries sold will be in an electric vehicle

25 minutes ago, Vlad Kovalenko said:

By 2030 nearly eight out of every 10 batteries sold will be in an electric vehicle

(Vlad, my comment below is not directed at you.)

Hmmmm, environmental armageddon caused by manufacturing a mass onslaught of batteries for EVs, on its way soon.

Can anyone remind me again, how exactly is oil and gas bad for the environment but mining for the elements required for manufacturing toxic batteries is good for the environment?

And what will be the primary means of generating a massive increase in electricity to charge all these EV batteries?

Will EV batteries be magically manufactured from organic unicorn poop, and electricity generated from rainbow stardust?

Bear in mind, this is called the Oil Price forum.

While anyone is free to denigrate the oil & gas industry, I do tend to get annoyed by people trying to hijack the entire Oil Price forum and push their anti - oil & gas views down the throats of members and lurkers who generally come to this forum to discuss the oil & gas industry.

I am staunchly pro - oil & gas, and I refuse to apologize for being pro - oil & gas.  If anyone wishes to mock me for being pro - oil & gas, then better be prepared to get memed or mocked in response. 

This is not the Green Party forum or the Oil & Gas Industry is Dying forum, this is the Oil Price forum.

The Oil & Gas industry is not going away any time soon, despite what a very vocal and shrill minority would have you believe.

/ end rant

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You are right Tom, people seem to forget all of the things that oil is used for which are part of everyone's daily life's

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Hmmmm, environmental armageddon caused by manufacturing a mass onslaught of batteries for EVs, on its way soon.

Can anyone remind me again, how exactly is oil and gas bad for the environment but mining for the elements required for manufacturing toxic batteries is good for the environment?

And what will be the primary means of generating a massive increase in electricity to charge all these EV batteries?

Will EV batteries be magically manufactured from organic unicorn poop, and electricity generated from rainbow stardust?

While anyone is free to denigrate the oil & gas industry, I do tend to get annoyed by people trying to hijack the entire Oil Price forum and push their anti - oil & gas views down the throats of members and lurkers who generally come to this forum to discuss the oil & gas industry.

I am staunchly pro - oil & gas, and I refuse to apologize for being pro - oil & gas.  If anyone wishes to mock me for being pro - oil & gas, then better be prepared to get memed or mocked in response. 

This is not the Green Party forum or the Oil & Gas Industry is Dying forum, this is the Oil Price forum.

The Oil & Gas industry is not going away any time soon, despite what a very vocal and shrill minority would have you believe.

/ end rant

Sorry Tom, but wrong topic to be annoyed about. Now I feel called out even you said that your comment wasn't directed at me.  Just confused why you have chosen my topic to explain your frustration. 

So let me explain my attitude about oil and gas industry. Not against it at all. On the contrary. Does my passion for electric vehicles at the same time excludes my need for oil and gas? No. 

I'm not one of those who think that this world will be flooded by electric vehicles, leaving in the past all the cars powered by gas. But we can't ignore the fact that EVs are already a part of this world. And it happens that I like that part without ignoring the fact that we will need oil and gas for a long, long time. 

As far as I know, and I might be wrong,  that this forum is not just about oil and gas, although is mainly focused on it, but about energy and everything regarding it. 

As a moderator here, feel free to convince me I'm wrong after all. No hard feeling. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Vlad Kovalenko said:

Sorry Tom, but wrong topic to be annoyed about. Now I feel called out even you said that your comment wasn't directed at me.  Just confused why you have chosen my topic to explain your frustration. 

My apologies, Vlad.  You are *not* my target.  I generally don't pre-plan out my comments, but generally shoot from the hip and just start typing.

I was a moderator for a couple years on the now-defunct forum Oilpro.  On that forum, and now here, there were a small number of individuals who were very vocal in hoping for and calling for an end to the oil & gas industry.

I don't mind dissent, heck I encourage it.  

But after a while, these calls are no longer a friendly discussion or rational dissent but rather a never-ending outright attack, using disinformation. 

My comment above was a reminder that this is an oil & gas forum.  And I cringe at the environmental toxicity of a massive increase in huge batteries for EVs.  The eventual toxic dump for spent batteries is apparently never considered by those who want to kill off oil & gas.

Batteries are promoted in the media these days as a magical "clean and green" alrernative to oil & gas.  I say that is deliberate disinformation.  See my comments above.  Batteries are generally toxic, the mining of the ores required for making batteries is by no means environmentally friendly, and hydrocarbons are still used to generate electricity.

So far, I still have not seen a viable alternative to the bang for the buck of oil and gas.

So my rant above was just spur of the moment commenting.  I generally view a massive increase in industrial batteries as long term worse waste for the environment than plain old oil & gas.

Industries want to make EVs? Ok fine, but don't call EVs more "environmentally friendly" than oil & gas.

Solar and wind power are unpredictable, electricity is fleeting and difficult to store long term.  Oil & gas can be stored for very long periods, and used when and as needed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

/ end rant

Every action has an environmental reaction, but EV's will be far less damaging than fossil fuels.

Renewables, even if you don't like it they are coming.

Er no unicorn will be harmed or abused in this process.

So as it's a site for fossil fuels facts should be ignored and only FUD poured on anything else?

Mock me, meme me, people can pretend to be green to attempt to make some sort of argument, whatever.

This is a fossil fuel site and should look at the realities of the industry and it's future, it has a massive effect on the world in many ways. No oil, gas and even coal aren't going to disappear magically over night, but change is coming. And the industry should be prepared for this not sticking it's head in the sand hoping it'll be fine. It really does amaze me some of the believes of people here and how they totally ignore whats going on in the rest of the world. The world is interconnected in so many ways that looking at one subject as if it were in some sort of bubble is not the way to see what the future holds for this industry. Share holders are going to be screwed if the management of these industries continue as if nothing was going to happen, then we see another coal, what are those shares now? About a quarter of their previous for many companies and the worse for coal is still to come.

/end rant (for now) 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, George A Barber said:

You are right Tom, people seem to forget all of the things that oil is used for which are part of everyone's daily life's

No I don't think those that care do. That's why so much work is being done to change this. Look at the research that's going on, it's often forgotten about.

7 hours ago, Vlad Kovalenko said:

Consumer gadgets will drop down the ranks of lithium-ion battery users in coming years. Not because they won’t need the power, but because they’ll be overtaken by an onslaught of electric vehicles and, toward 2030, by stationary storage for wind and solar power, according to Bloomberg NEF. By 2030 nearly eight out of every 10 batteries sold will be in an electric vehicle

We are already seeing a massive push into stationary storage, demand out strips supply, even BP's buying it.

8 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Can anyone remind me again, how exactly is oil and gas bad for the environment but mining for the elements required for manufacturing toxic batteries is good for the environment

This should help to make it a bit cleaner

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/11/20/swedish-mining-equipment-manufacturer-will-be-100-electric-in-5-years/

• Like 1

Oil was the dominant energy source for more than a century. But this is changing and the challenge of the oil industry is to cope with the fact that oil will be in the future one among several energy sources.The XIXth century was the kingdom of King coal. The XXth century was dominated by King Oil. Who will be the next king ?  I think it will be the renewables and mainly solar energy but you are free not to share my opinion.

When oil took the lead over coal, coal did not disappear even if all the steam locomotives have been replaced by diesel and electric locomotives. In the same way even if EVs replace ICEs oil will not disappear. Given the wonderful things we can do with oil it is rather sad to burn it just for generating movement or electricity. The real challenge is not to stop using oil but to better use it and preserve it for where it is the most valuable.

Last week  I talked with the CEO of a mining company involved in battery metals. He told me that each time he does a presentation for a conference in the US he has to spent some time explaining to the audience why the EV revolution is coming but in Europe and China this is considered obvious.

Many Americans seem to be living in a bubble of alternate reality where internal combustion engines will reign forever in a world that is not warming.

The fact that we are here on an Oil Price forum does not mean that we only have to talk about "good news for the oil industry". The bad news affect as much or perhaps even more the oil price as the good news. It's an oil price forum, not the Church of Oil.

• Like 1