Tom Kirkman

France Revolts Against Anti - Carbon Tax

France's new "Let them eat cake" anti - Oil & Gas tax by the government appears to have hit more snags.  Pitchforks and torches on the way it appears.  Apparently, due to Macron's tone deaf ranting against the eeeeevil oil & gas industry and Macron's subsequent demands to add more taxes to extract even more money from ordinary French people.

France Suffers Anti-Carbon Revolt: Massive Road Blocks Against Macron's Diesel Tax

• Upvote 1

LOL!  Love that map.  Sometimes a photo.....

4 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

LOL!  Love that map.  Sometimes a photo.....

https_%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws_3.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Yup everywhere you look the human race resorts to acting like, was going to say monkeys but that's not fair on them.

The human race is not a bunch of monkeys because they don't share your ideals.

I neither side with or argue against the fuel tax hikes. French citizens should have a say in how the country they live in is run, however. France has time and time again made grandiose gestures that are proclimate on the surface, but have little substance, and require little sacrfice. Everything is easy from the cheap seats of not relying on oil production for any revenue.

Macron isn't very proclimate anyway, but thanks to the protests, he can say, "oh well, I tried!" and the world will continue to spin round and round. 

• Like 4

Sometimes decisons are easy, sometimes they are not... Diffcilt decisions always bring protest, especially in France, but we will manage it and in the end things will be accepted even if we have to pay more...

And you guys ? Still burning everything you can to make no money at all ?

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Permian-Drillers-Are-Literally-Burning-Profit.html

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Why-Is-The-Shale-Industry-Still-Not-Profitable.html

Have a good day ! I am gone try to make my way to work now !

• Like 2

Stupid and useless tax. People will get injured, and die, for nothing. Doesn't this president understand that electric vehicles are gaining traction regardless of any intervention in the market ? The climatomaniacs have some sort of savior complex, the sort that justifies even sacrificing a few lives in the process.

• Like 1

Asking me this question is equivalent to me asking you if shooting people is the national pastime of US.

Is it to simplistic ? Yes. Does it bring some kind of reality about you as a person ? no. As country ? I do not know...

A famous french man (talleyrand) once said :" All that is execcive is insignificant".

I leave it up to you to decide... But it seems that your choice has been already made.

2 minutes ago, AlexF said:

Asking me this question is equivalent to me asking you if shooting people is the national pastime of US.

Is it to simplistic ? Yes. Does it bring some kind of reality about you as a person ? no. As country ? I do not know...

Valid point.

42 minutes ago, mthebold said:

Isn't protesting practically the national pastime of France? 

Add to this being touchy. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

😮

10 foot poles ... on sale ... cheap ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

😮

10 foot poles ... on sale ... cheap ...

That burning of old tires in the street as a makeshift barricade is another French peculiarity. Get any kind of a protest going in a French-speaking country and out come the old tires:  Haiti, Algérie, Cote D'Ivoire,all those guys go and do that.  Seriously smokes up the place. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mthebold said:

Isn't protesting practically the national pastime of France? 

17 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

17 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

That burning of old tires in the street as a makeshift barricade is another French peculiarity. Get any kind of a protest going in a French-speaking country and out come the old tires:  Haiti, Algérie, Cote D'Ivoire,all those guys go and do that.  Seriously smokes up the place. 

Was this week declared "Let's Dump On France Week" and I just didn't see it in the news?

Totally unrelated ZOMG irony:f8b2a7f52caa799ea4e60fa34b7c2aefd2332fb13b35740b7a3dea8384eab582.thumb.png.df67f986efb826322131ebfbfc453975.png

28 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

how un-paris-climate-accordy of them! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, mthebold said:

I kinda wish that were our national pastime.  The authorities could put out bounties on dangerous criminals, and anyone with a vigilante license could participate in the hunt.  If they live-streamed from body cameras, you could build an entire sports industry around it, just as we have with fishing & hunting.  Corporate sponsors, training for beginners, specialized equipment vendors, a TV channel devoted to bounty hunting coverage & analysis - the works.  It would be a great time. 

As an added bonus, it would reduce the law enforcement tax burden - and it might horrify the snowflakes enough that they'll finally move to Canada!  I might have to submit this to change.org...

71qAZrqmIpL.jpg

On 11/20/2018 at 7:32 AM, Tom Kirkman said:

France's new "Let them eat cake" anti - Oil & Gas tax by the government appears to have hit more snags.  Pitchforks and torches on the way it appears.  Apparently, due to Macron's tone deaf ranting against the eeeeevil oil & gas industry and Macron's subsequent demands to add more taxes to extract even more money from ordinary French people.

France Suffers Anti-Carbon Revolt: Massive Road Blocks Against Macron's Diesel Tax

Tom,

You are on point.

The very thing that makes the French economy work is cheap, reliable, and safe electricity from Nuclear power.

Wind, solar, and tidal power are all very nice on paper, BUT the first two cannot cover base load for the foreseeable future.
Solar is a joke for 6 months of the year, precisely when you need it for space heating, hot water, and cooking.

The German "solution" of burning dirt cheap and filthy lignite (braun kohl) is the worst possible alternative.  The EU must outlaw that.

No, no.

Back to the central point. Western developed countries are reducing their per capita carbon footprint everyday, while the rest of the work blows out those gains by orders of magnitude.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mthebold said:

I kinda wish that were our national pastime.  The authorities could put out bounties on dangerous criminals, and anyone with a vigilante license could participate in the hunt.  If they live-streamed from body cameras, you could build an entire sports industry around it, just as we have with fishing & hunting.  Corporate sponsors, training for beginners, specialized equipment vendors, a TV channel devoted to bounty hunting coverage & analysis - the works.  It would be a great time. 

As an added bonus, it would reduce the law enforcement tax burden - and it might horrify the snowflakes enough that they'll finally move to Canada!  I might have to submit this to change.org...

Have you not watched The Purge? I like your idea a lot better.

Love Kerry's shirt!

7 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Was this week declared "Let's Dump On France Week" and I just didn't see it in the news?

I have no idea whatsoever what you're talking about. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, mthebold said:

I hadn't bought a gun up to now, but this might get me to make the trip to Wal-Mart!  How many guns can I buy at one time?  Is there a limit on shells/bullets?  Can I get a vigilante license there, too? 

Let's see, I'll need: some beer, actually lots of beer, snacks, dip, tobacco chew, a couple of lawn chairs (with beer cup holders), a BIIIG cooler, some spotlights and battery packs (to be environmentally conscious), garbage bags, a couple of hatchets and hacksaws (get extra blades), duct tape and WD-40 (for whatever), some binoculars, some night vision binoculars, and an inflatable swimming pool, just because.  What have I left out?  Anyone?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

What have I left out?  Anyone?

While bale twine and super glue are the obvious answers, I would say instead to you: pigs.

I shall say no more. 

• Upvote 2

Hey Some facts  !! :

8 hours ago, Sophomore said:

The very thing that makes the French economy work is cheap, reliable, and safe electricity from Nuclear power.

Cheap compare to what ? If you want to properly compare electricity prices you have to compare them with neighboring countries. France is not a cheap country in when It comes to Electricity (https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/news/themes-in-the-spotlight/energy-prices-2017).

What makes French economie work ? Just Look at the cac 40 and you will see that Total, Accor, Sanofi, Kering are the biggest company by value. EDF is not even in the CAC 40 anymore...

9 hours ago, Sophomore said:

Wind, solar, and tidal power are all very nice on paper, BUT the first two cannot cover base load for the foreseeable future.
Solar is a joke for 6 months of the year, precisely when you need it for space heating, hot water, and cooking.

You are losing me here...

Wind, Solar or nuclear power, French CO2 emissions are not coming from power generation. They come from transportation and industrial production... So I do not see your point.

Regarding germany, They decided to shut down more than half of their nuclean power plans in 2012 after Fukushima disaster. It was a mistake. More than 5 years later they still bear the cost fo this decision.

But Germans look like real beginners compare to you when it comes to CO2 emissions : https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.ATM.CO2E.KT?locations=DE-US

That is why I would refrain myself from using the word "outlaw" when it comes to emissions if I was you... ;-)

I wish you a very nice day in Wonderland... I ave to go now, I have to burn a couple of big truck tires in front of my house !! Hey ha !

And this just in: FRENCH CGT TRADE UNION SAYS STRIKE HITS SIX OUT OF FRANCE'S SEVEN REFINERIES, TWO OIL DEPOTS

@AlexF admit it, you guys like to strike! :) 

16 hours ago, AlexF said:

Regarding germany, They decided to shut down more than half of their nuclean power plans in 2012 after Fukushima disaster. It was a mistake. More than 5 years later they still bear the cost fo this decision.

Yep. And they'll continue to bear it well into the future unless by some miracle the green lobby weakens its hold over its energy policies.

1 hour ago, Marina Schwarz said:

French Government Gives Green Light for Fresh Paris Protest

French protesters are set to hold a second demonstration in Paris on Saturday to urge President Emmanuel Macron to abandon higher gasoline taxes.

Sporadic blockades have continued since close to 300,000 people were estimated to have taken to the streets across the country last Saturday.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Yes ! We almost invented it ! I never pretended the opposit. The only thing that I want to underline it is that this time, I do not think protesters represent french point of view on the subject. 

• Like 1

Ah, well, they do represent the point of view of almost 300,000 people, which may not be a majority but it is a valid point of view. And the approval ratings of Macron are down, so that must be more than 300,000 people not too happy to pay more for gas. Bit like @Rodent noted, few people anywhere are willing to actually change to effect a larger change, so...

We've been having a lot of high gas price protests down here and guess what? Prices are down! Go protesters, go strikers!

• Like 1