Tom Kirkman

France Revolts Against Anti - Carbon Tax

(edited)

2 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

French protesters are set to hold a second demonstration in Paris on Saturday to urge President Emmanuel Macron to abandon higher gasoline taxes.

Sporadic blockades have continued since close to 300,000 people were estimated to have taken to the streets across the country last Saturday.

Yes you are right between 250 000 and 300 000 protesters were on the street last saturday. There will be a demonstration again next saturday. But Nicolas Hulot former french minister of the environnement who resigned 4 month ago and the author of the plan to increase petroleum taxes (he resigned because he thinks that we are not doing enough to decrease oil consumption) get a 65% approval rating in yesterday's poll. Which is almost the highest score ever for a french politician.

Edited by AlexF

Just now, AlexF said:

Yes you are right between 250 000 and 300 000 protesters were on the street last saturday. There will be a demonstration again next saturday. But Nicolas Hulot former french minister of the environnement who resigned 4 month ago and the author of the plan to increase petroleum taxes (he resigned because he thinks that we are not doing enough to decrease oil consumption) get a 65% approval rating in yesterday's poll. Which is almost the higher score ever for a french politician.

Clearly I don't understand the intricacies of French politics very well.  But the populace sounds pretty divided.

(edited)

2 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Clearly I don't understand the intricacies of French politics very well.  But the populace sounds pretty divided.

Do not worry Tom nobody really does. the thing is that Macron is turning up-side down our taxation system. He droped Wealth taxation, and reduced capital gain taxation, real estate tax has also been reduced, On the other side he increased a taxe called CSG (cotisation sociale généralisée) that applies to every single person who has a salary or a pension. France had to go this way to modernise our taxation system. People know that, but in the end, it feels like if he was favouring rich people. So in the end i think it is more a scheduling issue. Timing was bad and this new petroleum tax arrives after a long process of changes, just before christmas and some people just can not stand the situation any longer... They feel left behind.

But once again french people are in favour of this tax and I still think it will go through.

Edited by AlexF
  • Like 1

"According to a survey by pollsters Odoxa, 77 percent of French people now support the yellow vests movement and their planned protests in Paris on Saturday, representing a growth in the number of French people who believe the movement is justified ."

Macron, having clearly misread the situation, readies to cave on the issue. Please excuse him while he retreats yo figure out just how the ugly situation can be salvaged. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thelocal.fr/20181123/macron-to-announce-new-measures-as-support-for-yellow-vests-grows/amp

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rodent said:

"According to a survey by pollsters Odoxa, 77 percent of French people now support the yellow vests movement and their planned protests in Paris on Saturday, representing a growth in the number of French people who believe the movement is justified ."

Macron, having clearly misread the situation, readies to cave on the issue. Please excuse him while he retreats yo figure out just how the ugly situation can be salvaged. 

Tax will stay but he will give away on something else... that is classic politic..

(edited)

48 minutes ago, Rodent said:

I just read this Odoxa Poll. although i am a little bit skeptical about internet polls, they say that 82% of voters are now against new petroleum taxe which would prove that French are now against this tax and that I am wrong. We will see....

Edited by AlexF
  • Like 1

Skepticism is a good thing.  But we have to go with the data we can get until more reliable information comes along, and then we have to wonder if the new data is right or if the first set was right, etc.  In any case, it is good and healthy for us to acknowledge we might be wrong.  Or more accurately, I think, is that the data we are aware of might be wrong.  Unless there are bots involved, and then who the hexx knows.

Anyhooo, good on you for bringing this data to our attention.  Thanks.