Oil - A Newbie's journey into Technical Analysis

(edited)

I've moved my posting to a separate thread here as I am a rookie at this and don't want to clog up other people's threads with my amateurism! :)

Yesterday I concluded that:

"Personally, I suspect we might see some erratic movements which are typical at a turning point but may well include some higher prices from here. On the downside, if we break last week's low just under $55 then I will still be targetting that weekly 200 MA in the oblong in the chart."

Well, I waited all morning for the price to breach that upper resistance area between the twin red dashed lines - but it never happened and we spent several hours drifting between that area and last friday's close…..

But then we finally breached the Friday close line, which was a clear signal that the downtrend was still valid and providing a strong sell signal - and what a  follow-through! As I mentioned, I am watching that weekly 200-period SMA. It had looked a long way down at 52.27 but we quickly dropped through the nearby support line under the market as well as last week's close line and ended up within a whisper of that MA at 52.75 (on my platform).

That was certainly one of the fastest trades I have had so far! 

As a Newbie, I am still not sure how well oil markets follow technicals but it was encouraging to see that after breaking last week's low there was not only a fast follow-through but there was also a rapid rebound to retest it before continuing on down (a good technical re-entry level). It is also interesting from a TA perspective to see that we have rebounded this morning in the Asian markets to yesterday's Daily Pivot level.

Edited by Streamer

So far this morning we have stayed around yesterday's Daily Pivot level and last week's low. If the news reports are  accurate then yesterday's continuation of the down move was due to growing fears of  general economic slowdown, as reflected in stock market sell-offs, Brexit fears, and trade wars, as well as a consequent return to a global oil glut. If this is so, then today's action will be waiting for, and focused on, the US stock markets…..whether the US Thanksgiving break will have any impact remains to be seen.

For the record, my approach here on this thread is to concentrate on price movement itself  and not any kind of personal view of fundamentals. 

I believe there are two ways of forming a trading opinion:

First: To assess as much fundamental data as possible and  deduce a personal view of where prices should be, based on these conclusions, and then trade in the appropriate direction.

Second: To assume that all relevant fundamental factors result in a net pressure on current price, which consequently moves it in the overriding direction. This continues until it reaches a new balance point between these opposing forces. In this approach one watches price movement itself and tries to identify the underlying pressures and follow them. 

Since, as a sole trader, I could never hope to have direct access to all the information available, in time, and be able to assess and prioritise it in terms of the "flavour of the day" then the latter of these two choices is my approach here. Realistically, it is the only option I have!

This is not to say that I do not follow the market news. I do very much! This is one of the strongest reasons for my interest in oil markets. Regardless of the trading side, I find that following the oil news opens one's mind to a whole wealth of information about an enormous number of topics and issues on an entirely global basis. One minute it might be Venezeula, then it is African OPEC countries, then it is Canadian pipelines, then it is Russia and China, then its EV, alternative energy, currencies, geology, chemistry, .....well you all know this far better than I do! :) it is all just so fascinating and educational.

My overall aim here is to "earn while learning" rather that "learn by burning" but even if it fails and my budget for this evaporates, then it will still have been a fascinating and rewarding journey that is well worth the cost! :)

• Upvote 1

(edited)

Interesting quote regarding general price outlook in the near term:

IEA executive director Fatih Birol: “And with the increasing pressure of geopolitics on oil markets that we are seeing, we believe that we are entering an unprecedented period of uncertainty.”

Edited by Streamer

(edited)

So I went short after failing to break last week's low to the upside all day. But the lack of immediate price action after the EIA release makes me wary that we could see a surprise bounce today ahead of the Holiday break. on profit-taking?

So I, probably mistakenly, after yesterday's gain, decided to take the small profit and run………..I might be done now for today and for the week, but there again…………………………….

Edited by Streamer
  • Like 1

(edited)

We did indeed see a spike to the upside yesterday but it was short-lived, less than one hour, before running out of steam and drifting off back down to the same levels around,just under, last week's low. 

Although the day was an upday from open to close, it did nothing to alter the longer term downward shift visible on the daily and weekly charts.

As I understand it, US shale producers have, on the whole, a lower breakeven than OPEC+ producers and I guess the oil industry will be watching for indications of what comes out of the OPEC meeting on Dec 6.

I suspect that the greatest concern - and the hardest to determine - is the direction of global economy. Data is this area is always so lagging and subject to broad revisions, that it is like driving your car with only your rear mirror to guide you.

Since oil is still a major commodity in relation to economic health it seemed to me a very relevant comment that OPEC would not want to see a return to the oil glut, that has only just been drained, as a result of a global economic downturn. But how far will they go in reducing production? 

In addition, many oil producer countries are heavily dependent on oil revenues to cover their national budget expenditures and any serious and prolonged drop below 50 dollars would surely create structural problems in their economies.

But even if US oil has a lower overall breakeven, prolonged lower revenues must also, at some point, start to impact on the availability of investment funds for the industry? 

Seems to me that we are looking for a balance point here where oil prices are sufficiently low to permit healthy economic growth but high enough to generate revenues for the governments and the oil industry and for the investors that support them.

Edited by Streamer
  • Like 1

(edited)

Yesterday did not produce any dramatic moves, as anticipated, although it was a down day overall.

Even though I was rather expecting an upmove, I reacted to the breakout/close through that forming potential support up-line (arrowed blue). This candle occurred early in the Asian morning yesterday and I only saw it at the start of the London day and sold into the next leg down -  and much too early as it turned out!.

This was a poor entry as the market, instead of following through on the downside, started a slow climb upwards (as expected!) and again reached the lows of last week. This level has been reached, but not breached, several times this week  (red/blue circles), and selling into the subsequent drop away from this level instead would have given me a 40 cents higher entry level.

But the market then continued to drift off all day and finished very weak. I left an overnight target limit stop near the previous lows and just above the pyschological 53.00 level and was filled in the Asian market for 70 points profit on the day.

The most significant feature of this week's price action has been the total failure of any upmoves to achieve anything significant and have soon been met with renewed selling.

That weekly 200MA is still untouched, but very close by…………….   

Edited by Streamer
  • Like 2

(edited)

On 11/23/2018 at 9:28 AM, Streamer said:

The most significant feature of this week's price action has been the total failure of any upmoves to achieve anything significant and have soon been met with renewed selling.

That weekly 200MA is still untouched, but very close by…………….   

...and there it is, we finally got there (and through it!!) :D I guess we are mirroring the US stock markets?

And what is so special about the weekly 200-period MA? Well, actually, nothing really....and yet quite a lot! Moving averages are nothing more than a means to compare the general level of prices now compared with those in the recent past (depending on the periods selected). One can consider where current prices are relative to the MA (above/below), or the slope of the MA line itself, or a crossover of 2 or more MAs with different periods.

But in this case, the 200 period weekly MA is identifying the average price of WTI over a period of 200 weeks - that is about 4 years! Needless to say we do not approach or cross this line very often - and so when we do it is significant! Nor does it move very rapidly - in fact watching prices moving relative to this MA is like following a jet ski circling round a supertanker! :D

But, again, the only real reason why this particular MA is significant is because it is widely watched in financial/commodity markets in general.

Now that we are here, we have to watch what happens next. Markets often bounce off this level or, alternatively, break through and continue for a significant distance......................but this process may take several weeks to pan out and become clear and, in the meantime, may oscillate around it by several dollars until it is finally clear. So this is not a useful parameter for near term trading. 

Edited by Streamer
  • Like 1

(edited)

Perhaps the greatest and most infallible tool in a trader's toolbox is one that is always right and never fails: it is called "hindsight".

It is always so easy to look back and say how the market was so clearly ranging or obviously trending, etc, etc. And last week was certainly one of those types of markets - in fact, with "hindsight", one could argue that the market has never been more simple to trade than it has been since early October, when the price of WTI was above $75!

But I can't help wondering how many traders have actually been short throughout this period? How many have tried (and failed) to pick, and buy into, the low spots, only to get  stopped out again and again? The concept of "cheap" for a commodity is a very relative value!

Naturally, now that we have dropped so far and so fast, it seems that those commentators that were talking about reaching $100 are now talking about reaching $40. So much for our commentators......

But if we look at the daily chart we can see how steep and deep the fall has been. So much so that it is obviously not just the result of any tangible/real change in the actual current present demand/supply situation, in real time - it is purely a subjective reaction to current sentiment of where we think the market is going.....and sentiment can change as rapidly as the weather.

When and if the market eyes start to focus on issues like OPEC+ group production cuts and the breakeven costs underneath the market and the need to attract investment funds, and possible settlement of trade wars, etc....... then sentiment can turn instantly and the rush to buy insanely cheap oil will begin in earnest! :D  .....and we will all be able to say with "hindsight" how we knew it had hit bottom all along! 

Edited by Streamer
  • Like 2

(edited)

So we start another new week. It is always a good idea at the start of a week to step back and take a look at the bigger picture and what events are likely to influence prices.

Here is a weekly chart going back to 2015. The first thing that struck me is how steep this last down move has been. It is not common to move so far and so fast, but, on the other hand, it is not the first time, either! One feature that also stands out is that often a prolonged directional move is suddenly met with a sharp corrective move - and that is what I am keeping in my back pocket for now.

This weekly chart appears to show a broad channel between where we are now, around $50, and $43 and with a minor level in between around $47. We may well drop back into this zone, which lasted from spring 2016 through to autumn 2017, and hang around there until there is a clearer view of trade wars and there impact on global economic progress. Certainly, in the near term, the focus is on OPEC's reaction to possible over-supply by cutting production, but is not the underlying issue more to do with foreseeable global demand?

Trade war news, sanctions and tariffs may change at any moment. I feel like the current oil price is like a tightly coiled spring that could burst open (and upwards) with a single touch on the trigger. But, there again, I am the novice and just thinking out loud here! :)

Regarding near term trading, sometimes it is wiser to be out of the market. There is no need to always find a reason to trade, nor is there always a trade to be reasoned. At the moment I am sidelined.............

Edited by Streamer
  • Like 1

Having now had time to familiarise more with the conversations on this forum, I have to conclude that I think I have stepped into the wrong forum here for my kind of interest.

This website is a great resource for info on the oil markets and there are some really interesting conversations here which I will certainly continue to follow. But, clearly, specific personal trading views, issues and interests do not seem to congregate here...............................  

• Like 1

Streamer, I watch your charts, as a lack of my knowledge. I base my trades on fundamentals. I think having both will bring you the most.

What I would like to see is that all this knowledge is transferred into money making trades. Therefore I will set up a website with my trades. Free access for 3 months, thereafter switching to subscription. Why?

I only read about trades that made money... Many were surprised by the big drop, therefore traders had to cover which accellerated the drop. Lost of money lost. I make money by the valuable, good market info. This is fundamental analysis.  As everybody uses TA, the value of this analysis is getting less, however the movements accellerate. Understanding the market (time consuming), not only production versus demand, is a value. 

Summarized I think that many people on this forum, we are talking about the trade posts, share their knowledge, but it is never backed by real trades. So how to find out who really is the expert and consistently makes money? 

I am half way creating a website for Europe, you will be able to see all my trades, TA and fundamental analysis. Give me your views it can only make me better. All traders think they know best, me included. Therefore you do not get comments on your post. And most of them know about TA. 

Keep on posting I will react on it. I am long for future Brent oil, I will triple my current long position after 2-4% downward correction I expect this week. I do not believe global demand will be much weaker and justifies the current strong drop. The market has overreacted as shorts had te be covered. It is difficult to go short again when you lost huge on your last short.....that is why you see the jig saw now.

As posted by many experts here, KSA will cut production (bigger than 1.4) and this will bring prices up. Build long position at high 40-ties and keep them. ride the ride. KSA needs more than 50 USD for all their ambitious plans. See this website for good analysis on this subject.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

On 11/27/2018 at 2:15 PM, oilexpert.nl said:

Streamer, I watch your charts, as a lack of my knowledge. I base my trades on fundamentals. I think having both will bring you the most.

What I would like to see is that all this knowledge is transferred into money making trades. Therefore I will set up a website with my trades. Free access for 3 months, thereafter switching to subscription. Why?

I only read about trades that made money... Many were surprised by the big drop, therefore traders had to cover which accellerated the drop. Lost of money lost. I make money by the valuable, good market info. This is fundamental analysis.  As everybody uses TA, the value of this analysis is getting less, however the movements accellerate. Understanding the market (time consuming), not only production versus demand, is a value.  

Summarized I think that many people on this forum, we are talking about the trade posts, share their knowledge, but it is never backed by real trades. So how to find out who really is the expert and consistently makes money? 

I am half way creating a website for Europe, you will be able to see all my trades, TA and fundamental analysis. Give me your views it can only make me better. All traders think they know best, me included. Therefore you do not get comments on your post. And most of them know about TA.  

Keep on posting I will react on it. I am long for future Brent oil, I will triple my current long position after 2-4% downward correction I expect this week. I do not believe global demand will be much weaker and justifies the current strong drop. The market has overreacted as shorts had te be covered. It is difficult to go short again when you lost huge on your last short.....that is why you see the jig saw now.

As posted by many experts here, KSA will cut production (bigger than 1.4) and this will bring prices up. Build long position at high 40-ties and keep them. ride the ride. KSA needs more than 50 USD for all their ambitious plans. See this website for good analysis on this subject.

Hi @oilexpert.nl

Thanks for your post! :)

I would certainly not undervalue the relevance of studying fundamentals in assessing trading decisions. And, of course, reading about the market is what puts the pleasure into one's work. But I do not consider TA and fundamentals as separate issues. As I see it, they are like the opposite ends of the same stick:

Fundamentals trading = looking at the news and deciding how one thinks it should affect price.

Technical Analysis trading = looking at price and deciding how it is lining up with the news.

But which of these is more relevant depends partly on the time scale that one is trading. For example, for a day-trader fundamentals are of little use because they do not, alone, define with sufficient precision the timing and price level for optimised trade entries and exits. But even a long term trader can benefit from some kind of chart analysis to warn when price is trending, correcting, consolidating or reversing direction. I have often heard long term forex traders admitting to losing thousands of points/pips whilst refusing to admit that their view was wrong and were just waiting for price to eventually turn and do what "it was supposed to do"!

I am a fairly short term trader and my trades are normally intended to last maybe 2-4 days, but the charts determine how long I stay in them. On some days, like today, I am swinging back and forth a bit trying to ensure I am facing the right way if and when a move happens. I somehow feel this kind of trading is not what this forum is about and that is why I don't think I belong here at all!

Edited by Streamer
  • Like 1

(edited)

On 11/27/2018 at 4:15 PM, oilexpert.nl said:

Streamer, I watch

Edited by A/Plague
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, A/Plague said:

Everything in this world is predetermined

Maybe! But even if it is, the fact that we are unaware of what those pre-determined outcomes are means that we are still, as traders, just like the proverbial blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that (maybe) is not there. So it is irrelevant in a trading environment.

if you mix fundamental analysis with technical analysis for profitable trading, it is a waste of time.

I don't agree with this entirely. I do believe that one can trade successfully purely on technical analysis but some knowledge of the current fundamentals that are being focused on can certainly help in assessing the underlying potential duration of a move. Equally, such as now, with the G-20 and OPEC meetings ahead, knowledge of these events and the issues involved can help assist assessing whether markets will continue or pause or retrace from profit-taking, etc. 

Not so long back the only high-profile fundamental was the global oil glut and the attempts by the OPEC+ group to reduce this back to the 5-year average in spite of US shale production. Every week was simply a focus on the API, then the EIA, then the rig count releases. Not being aware of these could have played havoc with purely technical trading especially since the EIA figures often contradicted the previously released API data.

Besides, oil fundamentals are so fascinating! :) Just following the oil news gives such a broad picture of the world as a whole. It takes you to places that one previously had little or no knowledge of at all.    

fundamental analysis is needed to drive the herd in the already begun movement.

Personally, I think it is fundamentals that create the movements whether we are aware of them or not. What actually drives the herd is sentiment rather than true fundamental analysis. I am sure most traders, and probably most posters on this and other forums form their so-called "fundamental" opinion on market direction from reading commentaries and releases that are, at best, already second-hand, often lagging, often revised later, and designed to create emotive response.

A good example is the current argument whether we were initially going for the $100 barrels or now whether t will be $40 instead.  

We have knocked 30% off the price of oil in a few weeks. Is this really justified by current fundamentals - or is it just the herd instinct joining in the move hoping for a profit before it stops?

I am also very interested to hear if people think that such deep and steep moves are also accelerated (and by how much) by automated trading models based on algorithmic analyses that can become self-fulfilling after the trigger is hit.

I do not look at fundamental analysis at all ...

Interesting! Do you trade your own account or for a fund/company?

I do not doubt that this is possible. But I do think it forces one to trade in a very non-human fashion and takes incredible discipline to prevent human normal emotions and logic from overriding technical decisions- particularly in shorter time frames such as day trading. How do you deal with this?

technical analysis is primary and determines entry points and movement targets.

I am not sure what you mean by "primary" but I do agree that TA is very useful for determining good entries and targets - but it is also good for determining when to throw in the towel and take a loss. Every trade should have a rationale behind it  defining why it was entered and where is it targetted. But it should also have a definition of what price, if reached, would negate the original rationale and thereby defining where to cut the position.

I fully believe that risk/money management is a far more important factor in achieving consistency in trading than accurate entries. 

(edited)

On 11/28/2018 at 12:08 PM, Streamer said:

Edited by A/Plague
  • Like 1

(edited)

On 11/28/2018 at 10:29 AM, A/Plague said:

I repeat once again ... the fundamental is needed for people like you

Yes, I have noticed you keep saying "people like me". But you don't know me or the way I trade. I have said equally many times that I do not trade fundamentals, I trade price, whether it is trending or ranging. Often I do not trade at all, which in itself is a trading decision. The oil industry is a fascinating place to be involved in. It covers a whole range of interesting topics, but that does not automatically define one as being a sheep just because one reads about it.

Edited by Streamer

(edited)

It seems we have hit a quiet spell ahead of the G-20 weekend in Argentina. Perhaps because of the anticipated trade talks between the US and China during that event.

Edited by Streamer
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

On 11/28/2018 at 12:06 PM, Streamer said:

As far as I see, a small draw is anticipated, but if that turns out to be a build

I noticed on my calendar that the EIA inventories expectation has now been updated to +0.769 barrels

Edited by Streamer

(edited)

Not much to add this morning. We closed in NY on the lows and looked set to break through last week's close but we bounced up a bit overnight.

And now in London we are still trying to break this area which is supported by 1) last week's close, 2) last week's low just below the close, and 3) the big psychological number $50 just below those!

This is a tough area to break ahead of a very important G-20 meeting with trade talks between US and China whilst the markets are closed over the weekend.

Which means if it does break then we can maybe expect a big drop as follow-through. But if it holds then I would not be surprised to see some upside as positions are closed out before the weekend.

Edited by Streamer
  • Upvote 1

Huh! and less than 10 secs after I posted this - it broke through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

(edited)

Do any of you also get that feeling that sometimes the market is actually mocking you!!!?? 🤣😅

One of the best things about having a "Newbie" thread is that one does not have to hide anything or be ashamed! So, now that I have a few minutes, let me tell you about this morning............

Last night, towards the close of the day, the market was finishing very weak and so I decided to sell and hope that the down move would continue overnight in the Asia session. I really didn't want to miss the market breaking through those support lines while I was asleep! I set my stop a safe 100+ cents above the market and a target of 49.50

So when I awoke this morning, I was rather disappointed to see that the market had actually rallied a little and had again bounced off those supports in spite of those builds in inventories. But the position was still open and London was taking it down yet again to test those lows.....

We got to the point where price was teasingly a few points north of my entry level and stubbornly refusing to go lower. So what does one do if something won't go down through supports? We assume it is going to suddenly take off to the upside instead.....

Ahaa, I think to myself, still trying to wake up with a morning coffee, "I have had this position open for about 9 hours and it has repeatedly failed to perform on the downside - now is the time to get out"

So, with a smug grin on my face I waited until the price was par and whacked the button. The price blipped and I actually closed with a loss of -9 cents. But that was ok, no big deal of course. I was too busy clapping myself on my back for a smart exit to worry about a few points loss!

...and then - just 2 MINUTES LATER - the market just sails through those support and continues STRAIGHT to my target level!!!!!! 😜🙃

After a wait of NINE HOURS I missed that trade by TWO MINUTES!!!!! Is that mocking or what! huh!!!! :D

Here's the minute chart:

But this is what makes trading so alive and challenging - it also illlustrates the difference between long term and short term trading - even the 4 hour chart reflected none of this "drama" - and the market has rallied back afterwards anyway so the "concept" had been right! :) 

(and there is always another trade around the corner...................)

Edited by Streamer
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

One thing is for sure, there is volatility in these markets right now! :)

We broke those supports in the morning, saw a rapid but brief drop through the stops etc just under them...and then climbed straight back up again! (I guess on some nice rumours about Russia and production cuts?)

We broke above those supports from last week and through that minor down-sloping trend line (red circle) and then an hourly close above the Daily Pivot line (other red circle). That was enough to justify a quick long.

So, I retrieved the morning's loss and gained a few more dollars for another plus on the day. 🤓

Edited by Streamer

3 hours ago, Streamer said:

This market feels like we might still see some more on the upside today

And so far we have risen at least to 52.00...sometimes these steady drifts can go on for hours.........................

(edited)

So its the end of one month and the start of a new month - and what a start! - with an ultra-important weekend at the G20 meeting in Argentina. Although it is a meeting of all the top industrialised countries, all eyes and ears will surely be focused on four of these: the US, Russia, Saudi Arabia and China.

This must be one of the most important events from the oil industry's viewpoint for a long time, especially just ahead of the next OPEC meeting. There are such major issues open, the most relevant of which surely must be:

-  the future of the US/China trade wars (which are already producing theoretical and tangible downturns in economic activity globally)

- the US/Saudi Arabia relationship with their polarised aims for future oil prices and how much their actions will be influenced by the Khashoggi affair and operations in Yemen

- OPEC+ plans concerning cutbacks in production to support prices

- Russia's alliance with OPEC plans amidst the negative fallout from the Ukraine naval incident

- the impact of sanctions against Iran oil exports and against any institutions/authorities/persons wrongly involved in any of the above.

- The UK parliamentary handling of the EU/UK agreed deal and the impact of rejection/acceptance on the future growth of UK and EU

That is quite a starters for one little weekend.........

But surprisingly, the oil markets have been relatively subdued during this entire week and has failed to break out of last week's range with any conviction. A quick dip through last week's low yesterday was met with solid support after a  mini runaway of only 60 cents. And on the upside, we did not manage to retrace to even 50% of last week's move and was bounded on the upside by that weekly 200SMA.

I find this very curious. When we consider how far the market has fallen in recent weeks and how important and potentially influential this wekkend's G20 meeting could be, and the real risk of a gap opening on Monday, we have not seen any real retracement or correction at all.

Edited by Streamer

(edited)

Friday was, as anticipated, directionless and a bit jittery and ended almost unchanged on the week. But the fact that the whole week was neutral and not showing any signs of retracing or closing of shorts ahead of the G20 is surely significant.

It is hard to imagine that such a steep decline can continue with the same speed, but the longer term charts are still very negative and, unless we start to hear some credible comments concerning the prospects of an OPEC+ comprehensive and sufficient reduction in output, then the downside is still the greater probability in the coming week. 

Edited by Streamer