AC

The World's Largest, Completely Automated, Driverless Metro Line

Futuristic as it looks, Dubai's 49-station, 46-mile metro is completely automated and driverless, making it the third-largest such system in the world, after systems in Singapore and Vancouver. The city's Red Line, which runs through the heart of Dubai, is still the longest single driverless metro line in the world. And it's getting larger because city constructing a third line, Route 2020, that will connect the southwestern Dubai with the site of the World Expo, which Dubai is hosting in 2020. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/dubai-automated-driverless-metro-2018-11

This looks incredible - i'll have to go check this out sometime. 

However, nothing beats San Francisco Cable Cars. You'd think San Francisco would do a total infrastructure revamp. We're quite behind now - and with the population increasing - doing so would be quite a feat. Millions are traveling through the bay area daily. Any bottleneck will cause havoc. 

On another note - look at that view. 

Image result for cable car san francisco 

• Like 2

Most of the driverless metro lines are in Europe and Asia.

I have a first hand experience as a frequent user of the Lausanne automated metro, the only driverless metro in Switzerland and also the steepest line in the world with some slopes at 12%. Lausanne is the smallest city to have an automated metro.

image.thumb.png.ebc94c4c488e09e14be5f4cc85c747f9.png

https://www.wavestone.com/app/uploads/2017/04/world-best-driverless-metro-lines-2017.pdf

• Like 2

I almost clapped my hands like a child in ecstasy when I rode on the Copenhagen metro, on the frontmost seats, so I could watch the tunnel unfold. SO, so cool! (I'm obviously infantile)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can't remember where it was now but earlier this year we were on a metro and my son was looking around for something. I asked him what it was he'd lost, he was confused as he couldn't see a driver.

• Like 1

More of a disclaimer. It might be a bad thing in other people's eyes but I don't care.

• Upvote 1

On 12/5/2018 at 4:58 AM, Marina Schwarz said:

I almost clapped my hands like a child in ecstasy when I rode on the Copenhagen metro, on the frontmost seats, so I could watch the tunnel unfold. SO, so cool! (I'm obviously infantile)

I had that same kind of feeling,   for a different reason,   back in the early 1970's,  i was a Monorail Pilot for Walt Disney World.

Sometimes,  i still dream i am sitting in that pilot seat in the cab,   and can still feel the control handle in my hand.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 6:25 PM, mthebold said:

I suspect we'd get along well.  😁

It should also be noted that many geniuses were quite infantile, Mozart being a prime example

We already do, don't we? :) Yeah, I've heard Mozart was a little piece of... work. I've found keeping the childish part of you alive helps with raising children, by the way, completely off topic.

What about the most exciting/beautiful/otherwise attractive metros? I've only had experience with four and the St. Petersburg one gets my crown. It's like a descent to the center of the Earth in some parts because of the river.