Rodent

Another Conspiracy Theory-- Is China Tracking EV Owners?

not so theoretical I guess. https://www.fastcompany.com/90274057/report-the-chinese-government-is-spying-on-tesla-and-other-ev-drivers-without-consent

"...the Chinese government requires all electric vehicle manufacturers in the country–not just Tesla, but BMW, Ford, Volkswagen, GM, a total of 200–to report a shocking amount of data on vehicles to the government. Specifically, they must report 61 data points, including the exact location of the vehicle, to local government monitoring centers, where a click of a button reveals location and vehicle data, including make and model, mileage, and battery charge." according to a new report.

• Like 2

It's not a conspiracy theory, it's true. 

The words China and Privacy should probably not be in the same sentence, unless you are using Chinese Privacy as a deliberate oxymoron.

Here's the Associated Press:

In China, your car could be talking to the government

Gobal automakers are feeding real-time location information and dozens of other data points from electric vehicles to Chinese government monitoring centers, potentially adding to China's rich kit of surveillance tools as President Xi Jinping steps up the use of technology to track Chinese citizens. Generally, it happens without car owners' knowledge, The Associated Press found.

More than 200 automakers selling electric vehicles in China — including Tesla, Volkswagen, BMW, Daimler, Ford, General Motors, Nissan, Mitsubishi and U.S.-listed start-up NIO — send at least 61 data points to government-backed monitoring platforms, under rules published in 2016. 

... Ding Xiaohua, the deputy director of the Shanghai center, said monitoring is not designed to facilitate state surveillance, though data can be shared with police, prosecutors or courts, if a formal request is made. The center is registered as a non-profit but is tightly aligned with and funded by the government.

There is a privacy firewall built into the system. The data center has each car's unique vehicle identification number, but to link that with the owner's personal details, it must go through the automaker — a step it has taken in the past. Chinese law enforcement can also link the vehicle identification number with the owner's personal information.

"To speak bluntly, the government doesn't need to surveil through a platform like ours," Ding said.

• Like 2

And with autonomous vehicles this will be a step further. If you can give vocal orders to your car that means your car is permanently listening and could potentially leak what you are saying inside the car.

3 minutes ago, Guillaume Albasini said:

And with autonomous vehicles this will be a step further. If you can give vocal orders to your car that means your car is permanently listening and could potentially leak what you are saying inside the car.

creepy. like Alexa. no thanks

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

You know that silly fear about Alexa recording everything and leaking it online? It just happened

Alexa would like to remind you that it's not polite to curse at her.  Have a nice day.

"the Echo woke up due to a word in background conversation sounding like “Alexa.” Then, the subsequent conversation was heard as a “send message” request. At which point, Alexa said out loud “To whom?” At which point, the background conversation was interpreted as a name in the customers contact list. Alexa then asked out loud, “[contact name], right?” Alexa then interpreted background conversation as “right.” As unlikely as this string of events is, we are evaluating options to make this case even less likely."

If that's true, Alexa is not just creepy, she's an idiot. 

Conspiracy threads could always be helped along with PANIC memes.

2ns79i.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

(edited)

redo

Screenshot_20181129-185652_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Rodent
because I don't know how to embed a tweet
  • Like 1
  • Great Response! 1

3 minutes ago, Rodent said:

If that's true, Alexa is not just creepy, she's an idiot. 

AI is not exactly "smart".  It follows protocols and learns.  Incorrect logic (say, perhaps like silly MP Holy Grail banter) could cause AI to interpet its internal protocols incorrectly.  GIGO.

Oh, good, I'm not the only one who thinks Alexa is Black Mirror-class creepy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Oh, good, I'm not the only one who thinks Alexa is Black Mirror-class creepy.

download (3).jpeg

• Like 2

(edited)

Ugh, she's ugly, too. Now this meme got me thinking they'll be asking for human rights soon. 

Edited by Marina Schwarz

3 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Ugh, she's ugly, too. Now this meme got me thinking they'll be asking for human rights soon. 

Ahem, that's a sexist comment.  Tsk, tsk.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......

(just kidding, Marina :) )

• Like 1

It. I meant it. It is ugly. I'm too late, aren't I? Oh, well, woe is me and I shall go and self-flagellate.  (Still ugly, though. The "cookies" in Black Mirror were cute, if horrible.)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

It. I meant it. It is ugly. I'm too late, aren't I?

Digging a hole deeper tends to attract attention.  Relax.

bdc497959ad826265e811430477e03137f1b35cb8b6e75323eb1ad8a2aa2ecef.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

If one of us on this forum is actually an AI then it is certainly entitled to human rights, since you can't make the difference...

27 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

It. I meant it. It is ugly. I'm too late, aren't I? Oh, well, woe is me and I shall go and self-flagellate.  (Still ugly, though. The "cookies" in Black Mirror were cute, if horrible.)

That's what the Senator said, too.  LOL!  The world we live in....

8 minutes ago, JunoTen said:

If one of us on this forum is actually an AI then it is certainly entitled to human rights, since you can't make the difference...

Darn good point there, JunoTen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

Which Senator?

12 minutes ago, JunoTen said:

Argh, this is getting creepier by the hour! It is a valid point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JunoTen said:

I resemble that.  All Assimilated Ingrates already have rights, "only in America".  (I know, so sue me.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:
7 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

Which Senator?

Pick one.  It's like Whack-A-Mole.

• Haha 1

if you live in a capital city in China, to get a car license places you'll need to enter into lottery with slim to none chances to win.

With electric cars you entering into waiting list - not a short one but you'll get there. With tariffs introduction Tesla 3 got ~26% cheaper...

I'd be surprised if NSA etc do not have access to US-based EVs data streams, accelerate or break it remotely or steer into a barrier.

But when I ask about much touted "social credit score" in China - my colleagues haven't heard of it. Says there is blacklist for transport violations. I guess have to verify from multiple independent sources in age of opinion manipulation.

13 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

AI is not exactly "smart".  It follows protocols and learns.  Incorrect logic (say, perhaps like silly MP Holy Grail banter) could cause AI to interpet its internal protocols incorrectly.  GIGO.

Monty Python is far to obvious and just confuses the hell out of the younger generations.