2 minutes ago, Red said:

Get over yourself.  I have the legal authority to issue critical defect notices over certain types of valves which are not compliant and require the defects to be immediately rectified.  I also fully understand the legal consequences on all the parties.  I can only assume your are dealing with authorities which place no value on human life.

Clearly Jaycee hasn't read the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 which places certain duties on suppliers / designers / manufacturers etc. 

10 minutes ago, jaycee said:

You said 'And you are completed deluded if you think manufacturers specs for vehicle fuel economy represent real life fuel economy for the consumer. ' show me where I said that. Dont infer it as usual. 

You inferred it by quoting the manufacturers fuel consumption figure. 

Otherwise where did 69mpg come from? 

15 minutes ago, jaycee said:

You said 'And you are completed deluded if you think manufacturers specs for vehicle fuel economy represent real life fuel economy for the consumer. ' show me where I said that. Dont infer it as usual. 

As I said you inferred it by your reference to 69mpg. I simply responded. 

69mpg  is the stated combined cycle fuel economy for a 108 (68.9) 

Take a little look at page 13😊

https://media.peugeot.co.uk/file/53/4/108-prices-and-specs.108534.pdf?lcdv16=1PB1A5FRC5T0AXXX

1 minute ago, NickW said:

Clearly Jaycee hasn't read the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 which places certain duties on suppliers / designers / manufacturers etc. 

Nick, the issue is that engineers are required to build to certain standards.  And to know those standards requires they use materials/equipment which has been tested by competent authorities to meet prescribed standards.  Equipment/product specifications exist for that reason and that's their real world.

Consumers of vehicles rely on fuel economy data to guide them in their decisions, but have no expectation that what is stated can be achieved: only that it provides a basis for consistent comparison.

1 minute ago, Red said:

Nick, the issue is that engineers are required to build to certain standards.  And to know those standards requires they use materials/equipment which has been tested by competent authorities to meet prescribed standards.  Equipment/product specifications exist for that reason and that's their real world.

Consumers of vehicles rely on fuel economy data to guide them in their decisions, but have no expectation that what is stated can be achieved: only that it provides a basis for consistent comparison.

Quite hence my forlorn comment to Jaycee about fuel consumption tests:

What they do is measure fuel economy against a common lab test to which all cars have to perform for regulatory purposes. This is quite different from actual economy out on the road under real conditions.