Rodent

GOODBYE FOREIGN OIL DEPENDENCE!!

(edited)

On 12/6/2018 at 2:37 PM, Illurion said:

Wrong.

We need all the pipelines and refineries we can get.

Don't get overconfident.

We have gone from low-level exporter to top exporter in one year.

A DRASTIC CHANGE IN THE GLOBAL MARKET HAS OCCURRED.

Our competitors were caught off guard,  and are even now planning their response to the changed circumstances.

We must continue expanding our system under the belief we will need it to counter our competitors response,  when it comes.

So why is it so important to accept foreign oil and refine it. Texas eats a lot of pollution to keep exports growing. Whoopie.  Why not refine what's needed for the US and call it good.

I read 30% of US refining capacity is foreign owned. So Venezuela, the Saudi and others bring in their own oil oil and use cheap US nat gas to refine it and resale petroleum products. Other than some tax on profits the US certainly dosen't need those exports for consumption or national security.

If you own stock in these companies I understand profit motive. But really, build those refineries elsewhere and pollute your own backyard.

Edited by Boat

5 hours ago, Boat said:

So why is it so important to accept foreign oil and refine it.

But really, build those refineries elsewhere and pollute your own backyard.

There are far better experts than me on this forum,  however,  my response to why we accept foreign oil is that there are different grades,  that are useful for different purposes.   The USA needs to be able to have access to whatever we need of all the grades.   So it is in our interest to be able to refine whatever we need,  RATHER THAN BE DEPENDENT ON FOREIGN REFINERS.

The pollution is just something we have to deal with in order to be able to refine whatever we need.

I have read 30% of US refinery capacity is foreign owned. Besides that the US exports over 3 mbpd in finished petroleum   products. That's a little overkill in supply and security ya think? So we eat refinery pollution so Mexico, Venezuela, and places like China can buy products.

Who really pays for this pollution? US healthcare. That's the real story.

23 hours ago, Boat said:

I have read 30% of US refinery capacity is foreign owned. Besides that the US exports over 3 mbpd in finished petroleum   products. That's a little overkill in supply and security ya think? So we eat refinery pollution so Mexico, Venezuela, and places like China can buy products.

Who really pays for this pollution? US healthcare. That's the real story.

I do not really care who owns the refineries in the USA,  as long as they ARE IN THE USA,   CREATING AMERICAN JOBS,  AND PROVIDING BENEFITS FOR AMERICAN WORKERS.

It is all about JOBS.

As far as "EATING POLLUTION" is concerned,   i do not believe you are thinking your point all the way through.

If the USA wanted to "reduce pollution" that is created during a "PRODUCT MANUFACTURING" task,   then,  to follow your logic,  YOU ARE SAYING THAT THE USA SHOULD NO LONGER MANUFACTURE ANYTHING THAT COULD BE EXPORTED.!

Pollution is created through the production of practically every product manufactured in the USA,  and everywhere else around the world too.

Are you saying the USA should no long manufacture anything in order to reduce pollution ?

(edited)

The US oil product is still connected to global events so while in terms of "we can produce so many barrels which equal our consumption" maybe but in terms of "no oil price action affects us and our production capacity" the US definitely isn't independent. In fact, oil will likely always be exposed and in turn will expose the country that uses it, especially since the swings are quite short term. Renewables are more useful as a focus of energy security and independence since construction of a wind or solar facility means long term energy security of at least a decade for the times and amount of operation, usually two decades. Once energy storage is effectively solved, which will likely be the case in 10-15 years time, the whole "oil for energy security" argument will be irrelevant. I have to wonder how secure the US producers are feeling with rising interest rates and oil in the $40s. Probably not very and by extension neither is the country.

Edited by David Jones