Tom Kirkman

Paris Is Burning Over Climate Change Taxes -- Is America Next?

2 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

If only I could somehow shoehorn in the idea that guns cause climate change, this thread would prolly be complete.

The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is not going away.  Full stop.

In Texas, which is dang near a separate territory from the rest of the U.S. culture (sort of like how California is vastly different from "flyover county" in the U.S.) lots of Texans carry guns.  It's a longstanding culture (reminder, my degree is in Sociology).  Just watch a few old Western movies about the old Wild West to get the idea that guns are a part of the culture in Texas.

^Thjs.  I would only add, Texas is the only state in the Union that fought for and won a revolution for independence from another nation to be an independent nation before joining the union.   The nationalism of having once done and been so, never really leaves for generations it would seem.  Sorry, just the way it is.  I am a dual citizen.  American first, Texan second.  Many Texans would transpose that sentiment.  Over-federalization of our great nation has me second guessing.  But that’s another topic.

Those who have stated that property in Texas CAN be defended that is, prevent the consequences of theft in the nighttime, with force, up to and including deadly force, are CORRECT.

But, a nod to Jan, there is NO property I own worth taking another life for.  I am about as hard core as they come but....Sorry fellow Texans and other good Americans who believe otherwise.  Something can be legal and still wrong.  Perhaps in a nod to Tom or a pot stir of my own, I could provide a few examples, well, how bout:........... Nah, not going there.

Boiled to brass tacks our Penal Code Chapter on use of force is much like most other states in that it relies on the old legal foundation  many will recognize as the “Prudent Man Theory” that is, were one’s actions prudent in that another similarly situated “Prudent Man” likely would have chose the same course of action faced with similar circumstances.  Prudence relying heavily on not just what the actor knew but also what they perceived.  

However, kill another over your property rights and you will be referred to grand jury and you may well be indicted.  Especially in our um, populous counties that are, oh, how shall I say this tipping the hat to another discussion or perhaps it’s this one further back; controlled by leftists, the not so classically liberal??  If you are No-billed, you’ll be sued civilly for wrongful death and quite likely will have a judgement awarded against you.

Own and arm yourself with many weapons.  Protect yourself, your loved ones, your neighbors and those you don’t even know with deadly force when it’s necessary, reasonable and prudent.  But don’t kill over property.

But then, what do I know.

• Like 3
  • Great Response! 1

53 minutes ago, mthebold said:

With each passing generation, fewer people understand why the 2nd amendment exists.  We're also becoming a weaker, more fearful culture.  On top of that, we've brought in masses of immigrants who don't understand the 2nd amendment at all.  The authoritarians won't attempt to repeal the 2nd against the population's will; they'll just breed fearful idiots until those idiots are the majority.  At that point, the population will ask for their rights to be taken away.

We're about half way there already. 

Words Of Warning From Venezuela: Don’t Give Up Your Guns!

20181220_112600.jpg

• Great Response! 2
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, TXPower said:

But then, what do I know.

Actually, Tex, you know quite a bit.  You have cogently summed up a difficult piece of Texas law.  There is one additional factor, and that is that some killings are treated as Federal Civil Rights violations.  When the Feds get involved, then even after an acquittal at the hands of a Texas Jury, or after the refusal of a State Grand Jury to sign an Indictment Bill,  the U.S. Marshals or FBI can arrest you and haul you off to some Federal Jail, there to be processed and brought before a Federal Court to face civil-rights violations charges.  Usually, that more elaborate process is brought against policemen who shoot blacks dead, especially where the black is unarmed and is shot in the back, but it is also brought against civilian murderers.  One of the more notorious cases was the murders of James Chaney, a black from Mississippi, and two whites, Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner, known as "freedom riders," Jewish young men from New York City, in the Summer of 1964, in Philadelphia, Mississippi.  The murders were engineered by Edgar Ray Killen, a local loser, gun nut, general nobody, and Kleagle of the Ku Klux Klan, assisted by a deputy sheriff of Neshoba County, Mississippi, another loser, gun nut, and nobody named Cecil Price. 

An indictment was issued in Federal Court when the State Courts ignored the murders and the murderers.  That case went to the US Supreme Court where then-prosecutor Thurgood Marshall  (later appointed to the US Supreme Court) argued that the US Government had authority under civil-rights violations laws to prefer an Indictment. See:  United States v. Cecil Price, et al., 383 U.S. 787;  86 S. Ct. 1152; 16 L. Ed. 2d 267.  A Federal-court jury then found 7 of 18 defendants guilty, the deputy (Price) received 10 years, served 6, and  Killen was a hung jury case with no verdict.   42 years later Killen was re-tried in a State Court, found guilty (finally) and at age 82 was sentenced to 60 years in jail for the three murders, prosecuted as manslaughters.  He died in jail.  No loss there, he was a classic loser. useless, worthless, a gun nut, the low-life flotsam of society, someone who should never have been born.  

Editorial comment:  although the above case was both explosive and an outlier, it demonstrates that, even though it took 42 years for a guilty verdict to come down, eventually the gun nuts face Justice and go to jail.  Also, it is precisely this sort of insolent, mentally-disturbed behavior that propels society to craft ever more restrictive legislation on private ownership of guns. In the USA, gun rights were originally designed for the specific purpose of retaining the ability of the citizens to overthrow their government  (and you get these spirited arguments that that is and was not the case, but if you read Jefferson's papers in which he writes that the US will need an [armed] revolution every thirty years in order to cleanse itself of repression for government, you can see where the thinking lay).  As each successive President continued to expand Federal powers, in some cases with breathless scope  [for example, Lincoln had zero authority to go to war against the Secessionist States, but he did it anyway], the ability and the likelihood of an internal govt overthrow becomes more distant, to the point where, today, it is implausible.  With the erosion to the point of vanishing of the original purpose, the underlying rights will also disappear.  It may well take another century, but it will go, just as it has in neighboring Canada. 

You can forget what the gun crowd tells you, in the long run the 2nd Amendment is toast, and will be a quaint footnote in the pages of history. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 5:15 AM, jaycee said:

Looks like the Belgians getting in on the demo craze started by the French. This lot have a leadership though and are most definitely right wing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46585237

Thousands of demonstrators in Brussels have marched against a UN migration pact, signed in Marrakech last week.

Flemish right-wing parties called the march, which took place near major EU institutions, amid fears the pact could lead to an increase in immigration.

DuWaMPWVsAEHW8h.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 2

25 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

DuWaMPWVsAEHW8h.jpeg

He wasn’t alone in this type pronouncement.  I’m no FoxNews Fan so excuse the source but the quote is %100 truthfully the words of O’l Chucky Schumer.  Guess he and Obozo “evolved” together on the issue.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/08/15/chuck-schumer-sounded-president-trump-illegal-immigration-2009

• Upvote 2

Earlier this week I had a discussion about the uncontrolled migrant masses into the EU, with a well travelled oil & gas gentleman from the Netherlands.

My point was if a country cannot control its borders, it will soon cease to be an independent country.

One example I gave was tiny little Singapore, which has exceedingly strict border controls.  If Singapore removed its border barriers and allowed anyone who wanted to enter and exit the country as they pleased, Singapore would rapidly disintigrate as a country.

Another example I gave was to consider your home as "your personal country".  You have a front door, and a lock on the front door.  You can choose who you allow into your home, or choose who you do not wish to enter your home.

Would you, in your right mind, deliberately remove your front door and allow anyone who feels like it to enter your home at any time, and raid your refrigerator for food?  If so, you might be the winner of a Darwin Award.

ff2b112aebc2551e630795125b3e4a20cf07155c6cf472b8a0d960c34121da9c.png.b6eb6ecf69f2f2d9515e79e095f30f7d.png

9d1644090d3eb031992caf76349a5f8d6af141ac9cc8e2643e39ce3475246e8a.jpg.a9047fa09aa57b9e83197f2c25c50daa.jpg

2045e9f0db4ed53285ab712c32dffbca8453acc8b4c85549236544f1fdb10954.png

aeb366da3ae1ba62fd3ad8614659fe619616bb2718294b888c2e2579be6220c6.jpg.db83ef3878014d7c011d2cb63aa48141.jpg

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

P.S.  every wonder why I use so many silly memes to illustrate my point?  This military thesis from 2005 lays out the intellectual purposes of memes pretty clearly:

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a507172.pdf

You are right - you use many silly memes.

Hong Kong does not have an open door to fellow Chinese citizens, so why would a small country like Singapore?  In any case, Singapore is exceptionally culturally diverse (and a fantastic place to holiday).

The best way to limit the massive numbers of displaced peoples is to assist them improve their standard of living in their own countries.  Equally obvious is to reduce conflicts, or the potential for conflicts.  

Developed nations have an excellent track record in the opposite, over many centuries, and not much appears to have changed.

• Great Response! 2

1 hour ago, Tom Kirkman said:

aeb366da3ae1ba62fd3ad8614659fe619616bb2718294b888c2e2579be6220c6.jpg.db83ef3878014d7c011d2cb63aa48141.jpg

And you probably thought I was just joking... 

Possible next EU boss says nationalism is “the way of destruction”

Left-wing politician Frans Timmermans from the Netherlands was nominated last week as the next President of the European Commission.

If elected, he promises to crush all conservative governments in the EU and make Europe and Africa a joint continent.

Timmermans is today the first Vice-President of the European Commission, and has a good chance of taking over as President after Jean-Claude Juncker.

In earlier statements, Timmermans has said that Europe cannot continue to be a place of peace and freedom unless diversity through mass migration is implemented in the continent, even in its most distant parts.

... He argues that “it is fated” that Africa is incorporated into Europe and that the two become one large continent in terms of free movement.

The responsibility for the African population, which is expected to more than double to 2.2 billion people by 2050, rests as much on us in Europe as the Africans themselves, he stated.

In conclusion, he sharply attacked nationalists whom he means hate other countries and can only exist if they are allowed to appoint others as enemies.

According to Timmermans, “nationalism is the way of destruction”. ...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Red said:

You are right - you use many silly memes.

Did you actually read the pdf I linked?

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a507172.pdf

Excerpt (from 2005)

TITLE: Memetics—A Growth Industry in US Military Operations 

AUTHOR: Major Michael B. Prosser, United States Marine Corps

THESIS: Tomorrow’s US military must approach warfighting with an alternate mindset that is prepared to leverage all elements of national power to influence the ideological spheres of future enemies by engaging them with alternate means—memes—to gain advantage. 

• DISCUSSION: 

• Defining memes. Memes are "units of cultural transmission, or a unit of imitation," and as ideas become means to attack ideologies. Meme-warfare enters into the hotly contested battlefields inside the minds of our enemies and particularly inside the minds of the undecided.

• Formations charged with Information Operations (IO) Psychological Operations (PsyOps), and Strategic Communications (SC) provide an existing construct for memes and the study of memes, memetics, to grow and mature into an accepted doctrinal discipline.

• Epidemiology of insurgency ideology. Using the analogy that ideologies possess the same theoretical characteristics as a disease (particularly as complex adaptive systems), then a similar method and routine can/should be applied to combating them. Memes can and should be used like medicine to inoculate the enemy and generate popular support. 

• Private sector meme application. 3M Corporation employed an innovation meme designed to cultivate an employee culture, which accepts and embraces innovation in product development. As a practical matter, 3M executives endorsed and employed the lead user process in new product development, which translated into a thirty percent profit increase. The innovation meme was key to 3M’s profit increase.

• The proposed Meme Warfare Center (MWC). The MWC as a staff organization has the primary mission to advise the Commander on meme generation, transmission, coupled with a detailed analysis on enemy, friendly and noncombatant populations. The MWC aims for a full spectrum capability of meme generation, analysis, quality control/assurance and organic transmission apparatus. The proposed MWC structure lays in stark contrast to the ad hoc nature of current IO and JPOTF formations. 

CONCLUSION: Cognitive scientists, cultural anthropologists, behavior scientists, and game theory experts must be included as professional meme-wielding-gunfighters on future battlefields. The US must recognize the growing need for emerging disciplines in ideological warfare by ‘weaponeering’ memes. The Meme Warfare Center offers sophisticated and intellectually rich capability absent in current IO, PsyOps and SC formations and is specifically designed to conduct combat inside the mind of the enemy. Memes are key emerging tools to win the ideological metaphysical fight.

=========================

And here is Conan the Barbarian, updated for present day...

bb49067e95ee6c21d183a3cf3a741f48792314c271307e1ce5310c86b74f1665.jpg.5bb09a952d382866ec184109d4244707.jpg

48 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Did you actually read the pdf I linked?

Yes, but do you know the difference between a cartoon, a silly poster, and a meme?

13 minutes ago, Red said:

Yes, but do you know the difference between a cartoon, a silly poster, and a meme?

Most of the memes I have I cannot post here.  They are meant as information warfare.  You can have a taste of mild information warfare in the graphics I posted above.  They have information, shared in graphic form, and meant to gently insert an idea, to nudge thinking.

A good meme has a specific message, a graphic with humor, and an idea that can be remembered easily.  Kinda like a good advertisement.  It is meant to change or promote thinking, along with generating a chuckle.  In other words, information warfare.

Here's some random low key ones I find amusing.

98947632650ccff633d97308022469fe5fd3effbbe4a2c8f4b278c6bc07426d5.jpg.11a0f51da3f302b410183f6567c016bf.jpg

222e75321ebd4a2357dc47140ee3a766ce8cc4e763a5039a2964e8c72cf5de9b.png.94126b95afb3b1e5d8550293148af9a7.png

6428988822a674269742801c37937445ee1b71cff57657def832dd98e8ae37df.thumb.png.0ef116e8adc2eb128f7229d704832018.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Most of the memes I have I cannot post here.  They are meant as information warfare.  You can have a taste of mild information warfare in the graphics I posted above.  They have information, shared in graphic form, and meant to gently insert an idea, to nudge thinking.

A good meme has a specific message, a graphic with humor, and an idea that can be remembered easily.  Kinda like a good advertisement.  It is meant to change or promote thinking, along with generating a chuckle.  In other words, information warfare.

There are memes, and there are memes.  You opt for the stupid stuff, and I opt for the cultural stuff, ie the stuff which has specific meaning.  From what I see in your posts it's likely you are confusing the two entirely different senses.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Here's some random low key ones I find amusing.

98947632650ccff633d97308022469fe5fd3effbbe4a2c8f4b278c6bc07426d5.jpg.11a0f51da3f302b410183f6567c016bf.jpg

I would have to agree with Red.  Tom, your intent is to poke fun and jog the reader, but the problem is that it falls flat in this medium.  It comes across as belittling and denigrating.  In your first example, you are denigrating Christian Evangelicals, specifically Hispanic Evangelicals.  I suspect the intention was to nudge readers into recognizing that reliance on the State for social programs results is a loss of self-reliance and personal respect, but it comes across as slapping Hispanic immigrants who hold deep-felt beliefs in their personal relationship to Christ.  Thus it is belittling a set of religious beliefs, and in respectful society we don't do that.  Does not matter what we think; what matters is to be respectful of what others think. 

Your second meme, intended as a jab at Chuck Schumer, is belittling.  Mr. Schumer is a sitting United States Senator, and if you don't want to respect him, because you think his thoughts are no good, then that's fine, you can go disagree.  But we don't disrespect the Office, which is what your meme is doing.   Your meme is a cartoon straight out of 1800's street-rag tabloids, and we have grown up as a nation since those days.  You don't see it that way and consider Senator Schumer a fair-game target, and that posture is, in part, why the political discourse is so fraught with peril, and does not more forward.  First, there is zero evidence to support the notion that Senator Schumer is attempting to advance immigration of a national group in order to further the voting numbers of the Democratic Party.  Second, the implied target, Latin Americans, are not likely candidates for the Democrats.  I suggest that the majority of second-generation Hispanic (but non-Puerto Rican) immigrants vote either Republican or Libertarian.  They tend to be socially quite conservative and the Dems lose out with their Party platform of  Leftist social ideas, including on abortion and homosexuality. So the meme is not even on point.  It is pure denigration of the Senate.

Your third meme takes a swipe at the news media.  While I would agree that cable news is typically not news and has disintegrated into sound bites of political opinion, and thus is both useless and worthless, that is not the case with either the New York Times or the Washington Post.  While in the case of the Post the new owner sometimes leans on the editorial staff to advance his own revenge agenda against people he does not like, still in the main the newsroom is free of interference.  The Times certainly tries to do an exemplary job and, with one glaring failure, carefully vets its news.  You can argue that the news media is fair game,  it probably is, but still the blanket swiping only coarsens the political discourse.  I think your meme is a silly cartoon, it fails. 

And that's the problem with memes in the context in which you attempt to use them:  They cannot convey nuance, as they are too pointed.  So the become rather silly, childish displays of petulance.  Which was likely not what you intended, but that is the way it ends up. 

• Like 1

(edited)

2 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

And you probably thought I was just joking... 

Possible next EU boss says nationalism is “the way of destruction”

Left-wing politician Frans Timmermans from the Netherlands was nominated last week as the next President of the European Commission.

If elected, he promises to crush all conservative governments in the EU and make Europe and Africa a joint continent.

Timmermans is today the first Vice-President of the European Commission, and has a good chance of taking over as President after Jean-Claude Juncker.

In earlier statements, Timmermans has said that Europe cannot continue to be a place of peace and freedom unless diversity through mass migration is implemented in the continent, even in its most distant parts.

... He argues that “it is fated” that Africa is incorporated into Europe and that the two become one large continent in terms of free movement.

The responsibility for the African population, which is expected to more than double to 2.2 billion people by 2050, rests as much on us in Europe as the Africans themselves, he stated.

In conclusion, he sharply attacked nationalists whom he means hate other countries and can only exist if they are allowed to appoint others as enemies.

According to Timmermans, “nationalism is the way of destruction”. ...

Oh, total rubbish.  Timmermans never said any of that.  I invite you to read his speech.  Here is the paragraph on Africa:

" And the only way we can get the migration  issue under control and manageable, without losing track of our       values, is if we are part of the sustainable development of Africa, in  all senses of the word. "

Edited by Jan van Eck
Add quotation marks
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

Oh, total rubbish.  Timmermans never said any of that.  I invite you to read his speech.  Here is the paragraph on Africa:

" And the only way we can get the migration  issue under control and manageable, without losing track of our       values, is if we are part of the sustainable development of Africa, in  all senses of the word. "

Incorrect.

Full speech here:

https://m.facebook.com/notes/frans-timmermans/a-fight-for-the-soul-of-europe-speech-at-pes-congress-lisbon-8-december-2018/2050129038343278/

Here is just the part on Africa:

... Finally, I want to mention something that has not been mentioned that often today. I want to mention it in the presence of national leaders, at least three of you here today, who have carried the torch on this, and that is our relationship with Africa.

People, let’s be under no illusion. If we do not understand that the development of our sister continent is of essential importance for our collective future, then we will make a huge mistake. If we do not understand that the challenge we face with Africa is comparable to the challenge France and Germany faced in 1945 when they had to find reconciliation, and is comparable to the challenge Europe faced in 1989 when we had to heal the wounds of dictatorship. It is a matter of destiny.

The Africans are waking up to the fact that their partnership with China is not delivering what they had hoped for. They are also discovering that the United States is completely uninterested in their fate. So, whose fate is going to be dealt with by whom: Europe’s fate by Africans, Africa’s fate by Europeans. We are in this together. Our destinies are linked.

And the only way we can get the migration issue under control and manageable, without losing track of our values, is if we are part of the sustainable development of Africa, in all senses of the word.

If I lead the next Commission, I will make sure this is as high on the agenda of the Prime Minister of Sweden - who I will never have to convince - but of all the Nordic countries and Western European countries as well. Africa is a common responsibility of the whole of Europe – West, East, North and South.
Because the alternatives is very simple. If we do not take that responsibility on our shoulders the process of de-humanising refugees and migrants is going to continue. And the lack of interest in people drowning in the Mediterranean is going to increase. And then we will lose track of our values.
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tom Kirkman said:

I carefully read the speech.  Where does it say anything about unrestricted migration and making the two continents one in terms of population movement?  He advocates nothing of the sort.  What Timmermans is implying is that the legacy of colonial powers of Europe so disrupting Africa leaves an obligation on the colonial powers, and now the entire European continent, to work towards the sustainable development of Africa.     

Her advocates internal African development.  The implication is that with African work opportunities there is no impetus to go to Europe.  I, for one, do agree with that proposition.  

Another part of sustainable development is water control and irrigation.  The Dutch are good at that.  Africa desperately needs help in stopping desertification.  That is "sustainable development."  I, for one, agree with that. 

There is nothing in there about unchecked mass migration of Africans into Europe.  There is not a hint of it anywhere. He does not advocate that.  The website you originally quoted from is a propaganda sheet of the far right. Let's be fair.

• Great Response! 3

10 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

If only I could somehow shoehorn in the idea that guns cause climate change, this thread would prolly be complete.

The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is not going away.  Full stop.

In Texas, which is dang near a separate territory from the rest of the U.S. culture (sort of like how California is vastly different from "flyover county" in the U.S.) lots of Texans carry guns.  It's a longstanding culture (reminder, my degree is in Sociology).  Just watch a few old Western movies about the old Wild West to get the idea that guns are a part of the culture in Texas.

Oho, Tom!  Ask and ye shall receive, my friend, but let's add immigration to really get the juices flowing, shall we:

Immigration, guns and climate change are inter-related

(Excerpt)

Our actions from guns to climate change have intensified the problems, driving so many families north.  Our president’s mean-spirited border policy is compounding the misery being heaped on these immigrants by this country. We need to have the courage to acknowledge our complicity in the creation of this crisis.  We need to develop and enforce immigration policies that are both fair and humane, and we need to make amends for our actions, which have inflicted so much misery on our neighbors. 

Pam McVety is a Tallahassee biologist and climate change educator.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Otis11 said:

There are actually many different cultures in and across the US. The exact number depends how you define them, but they can be starkly different. As different as French, from Germans from English!

If you don't believe me, go to San Francisco, Small town Texas, Small town Alabama, small town Iowa, Houston, New York, Florida beach cities, Florida pan handle, Vermont, and good ol' cutoff Louisiana! (If you can even understand the accents of all these different areas, color me impressed!)

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-11-nations-of-the-united-states-2015-7

And Tom here is definitely right that a whole lot of Texas conceal carry, but I would push back on the 'old wild west' narrative as I don't think that accurately conveys the attitude or ideas. Actually, the highest concentration of Gun owners in the US is Plano, Texas - a suburb of Dallas. Go visit and you'll see this is actually a highly affluent, business/engineering centric area that doesn't have any apparent signs of the 'wild west' and almost everyone is well mannered and very polite. Yet you would be shocked at how many of them exercise their second amendment rights (also has shockingly low violent crime rates). 

(For reference, I've lived across the political landscape in the US from California to Texas, and multiple cities in each. I get to move an awful lot.)

In case any of you were not aware there was such a thing, this is one example of 100's of ladies handbags designed with a pistol holster included (pistol can be purchased separately at Wal-Mart or other convenient location).

image.thumb.png.3a3bdce3b865e5dffac94d9f3d2e49de.png

2 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

While in the case of the Post the new owner sometimes leans on the editorial staff to advance his own revenge agenda against people he does not like, still in the main the newsroom is free of interference. 

There are no degrees to unbiased news reporting. When bias walks on stage, it's no longer news reporting but PR. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

There are no degrees to unbiased news reporting. When bias walks on stage, it's no longer news reporting but PR. 

All true.  However, in the isolated case of the Post, that bias, or PR rubbish, is limited to the editorial page.  The actual news articles, the Reporting, is free of that.  SO I give the Post a pass, as long as you stay away from the Editorials section.  Then again, most Editorials are pontifications from blowhards. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

All true.  However, in the isolated case of the Post, that bias, or PR rubbish, is limited to the editorial page.  The actual news articles, the Reporting, is free of that.  SO I give the Post a pass, as long as you stay away from the Editorials section.  Then again, most Editorials are pontifications from blowhards. 

Good to know.

13 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

Clearly we do not see eye to eye about mainstream media.  Washington Post is less than worthless, in my opinion - it is actually harmful and deliberate disinformation.  Ditto for New York Times.  Both are basically print versions of CNN infotainment cum disinformation.  Again, just my opinion.  But I assure you that you will be unable to change my mind that WaPo, NYT, CNN, etc. are actual and factual news.

• Like 2
  • Great Response! 2

7 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Clearly we do not see eye to eye about mainstream media.  Washington Post is less than worthless, in my opinion - it is actually harmful and deliberate disinformation.  Ditto for New York Times.  Both are basically print versions of CNN infotainment cum disinformation.  Again, just my opinion.  But I assure you that you will be unable to change my mind that WaPo, NYT, CNN, etc. are actual and factual news.

CNN is not news.  Not even close. Cheers.

As for the Washington Post, it has a long and cherished tradition of deep reporting, and was the newspaper that undid the Nixon Administration by developing the "Deep Throat"  FBI informant, where they would meet in darkened garages at night and whisper information, in classic leak fashion.  Great stuff. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

just out of interest what is your take on breitbart? 

• Upvote 1