Marina Schwarz

Qatar's OPEC Exit Might Backfire

Qatar’s OPEC exit could backfire on LNG superpower, says an energy journalism vet but can it, really? 

"If its new status outside the cartel adds to the growing risks and challenges of investing in Qatar then probably not. Leaving OPEC may serve as a snub to its rivals but it leaves Doha looking isolated and exposed when it needs friends the most."

I'm not really sure this is true. The big boys in OPEC have already isolated Qatar, after all.

20 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

I'm not really sure this is true. The big boys in OPEC have already isolated Qatar, after all.

^

The tag line was misleading as the analysis went on to why Qatar might have left, and others might follow. 

I vividly remember the day KSA set up the blockade, astounded such an act would be initiated during Ramadan. You just don't do such a thing during Ramadan. And the stupidity of it, driving business from KSA to Iran. Unless the KSA was willing to roll the tanks, it made no sense Qataris have the financial muscle to tell KSA to fly a kite so to speak. It only made sense if they truly believed the Qataris would cave. Instead it's the one finger salute.