7 hours ago, ronwagn said:

I would love a reference on the air conditioner. 

can't look them up now but there's a talk on the meta material on TED Talks.

4 hours ago, DA? said:

Come on take the tin foil hat off. You talked about the way the floor pan is made then in the same paragraph said it's the weakest part of the car. So I replied not if you look at the crash tests, best car out there. My input is only negative if you can't get over your out dated opinions.

Readers note:  Al Bots cannot grasp the nuances of the admittedly complex English language.  In this specific instance, note that I made a reference to the use of nineteen body parts for the floor pan, which have to be meticulously welded together, as the "weak part."  That use is in reference to the costing end of the auto construction, not to any strength issues.  An Al Bot cannot see that, and takes the word "weak" to mean, literally, weak - as in a measurement of say the bending moment and failure point of a metal beam. 

Another Bot characteristic is to lay a continuing attack on posters, in order to disrupt the forum.  So the Bot is programmed to use caustic remarks such as "your out dated opinions" [sic] which is even spelled wrong.  Bots are programmed to deliberately do miss-spellings so as to look human, as humans are in theory prone to errors.   You may find it entertaining to see a programmed Bot in action, but since I prefer intellectual discussions, I ignore them. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jan van Eck said:

Readers note:  Al Bots cannot grasp the nuances of the admittedly complex English language.  In this specific instance, note that I made a reference to the use of nineteen body parts for the floor pan, which have to be meticulously welded together, as the "weak part."  That use is in reference to the costing end of the auto construction, not to any strength issues.  An Al Bot cannot see that, and takes the word "weak" to mean, literally, weak - as in a measurement of say the bending moment and failure point of a metal beam. 

Another Bot characteristic is to lay a continuing attack on posters, in order to disrupt the forum.  So the Bot is programmed to use caustic remarks such as "your out dated opinions" [sic] which is even spelled wrong.  Bots are programmed to deliberately do miss-spellings so as to look human, as humans are in theory prone to errors.   You may find it entertaining to see a programmed Bot in action, but since I prefer intellectual discussions, I ignore them. 

investigating

1 hour ago, Jan van Eck said:

Don't mean to be rude but I think you may be suffering from a bit of paranoia. I continue to disagree with you as you do post things I don't think are factual, your opinions seem to be based on outdated information and my spelling is often wrong as I do have dyslexia. Oh good I do like an intellectual discussions, when's one going to start?

Go back and read your paragraph, it didn't make it clear that you were referencing cost, so I took it as structural weakness. It was ambiguous so I took the meaning I knew would get on your goat. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, DA? said:

Don't mean to be rude but I think you 

so I took the meaning I knew would get on your goat. 

Note to readers: here you can see the fact pattern of what a high-level Al Bot does: it will attempt to foment discord, to "get on your goat."  Watch out for this when you see it on the Forum. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Rodent said:

investigating

You can investigate all you like I am a human. In fact one of the users here tracked me down to where I even live. I guess they found me on face book, they also made it sound threatening, these posts were removed and I hope that person was told that that sort of behaviour was wrong.

1 minute ago, Jan van Eck said:

Note to readers: here you can see the fact pattern of what a high-level Al Bot does: it will attempt to foment discord, to "get on your goat."  Watch out for this when you see it on the Forum. 

I'm not artificial but are you crediting me with "a high-level Intelligence"? So thankyou.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DA? said:

You can investigate all you like I am a human. In fact one of the users here tracked me down to where I even live. I guess they found me on face book, they also made it sound threatening, these posts were removed and I hope that person was told that that sort of behaviour was wrong.

we like humans!

Just now, Rodent said:

we like humans!

Roasted or Toasted?

5 minutes ago, DA? said:

Roasted or Toasted?

roasted, for humans who don't behave  

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rodent said:

roasted, for humans who don't behave  

Love that smell of pork.

On 12/11/2018 at 9:09 PM, Auson said:

Thats true Uncle Elon could show them a thing or two, GM didn't even know you could set up a production line in tents. They also haven't even fired even one car into space !

However the LS7 is a truly brilliant engine only 160 kgs for a 6 litre V8 !

That tent thing is a bunch a bullshit propaganda if I ever heard of one.  Companies all over the world in all kinds of industries do it all the time while they are waiting for all sorts of issues to be worked out.  Tesla did what needed to be done to get the job done.  NOT ONE SINGLE THING WRONG WITH THAT.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/12/2018 at 12:20 AM, Jan van Eck said:

Note to readers:  the above descriptive is without reality.  In a bankruptcy, the court-appointed Trustee or Receiver for the company will make the Decisions as to how to sell assets, the Receiver then makes a proposal to the Judge, and the Judge then issues the liquidation Order as an Order of the Court.  Typically for large corporations that are not broken up, in the USA the procedure is via a Section 363 bulk sale of assets, and prospective parties become "bidders" to the Trustee in Bankruptcy.  The Trustee selects the bid he likes, and puts it to the Judge at a Confirmation Hearing.   What the shareholders "love" is not part of that calculation.  Typically, the shareholders are wiped out, as the Sec. 363 bid is lower than the outstanding debt obligations. 

Further, the suggestion that "GM is in trouble" is ludicrous.  GM has a very big customer base and those customers are quite prepared to pay top dollar for GM products.  There is no "baggage that goes with the company," all that was disposed of in the GM bankruptcy process a decade ago.  What emerged out of that is "new GM," which by definition has ZERO of the old baggage, which was left for the Courts to dispose of.  None of that - health care claims, old warranty claims, dealership lawsuits over franchises, whatever - carried over to "new GM."  

Except for that little GMAC thingy.  Credit.

35 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

Except for that little GMAC thingy.  Credit.

Yes, that is true.  When GM allowed the managers of the former GMAC Credit to go off the rails and start selling home mortgages into the alt-A sub-prime markets, then it ran out of cash to finance the customers who wanted to buy their cars and trucks.  The result: unsatisfied demand. And disaster for GM. 

My understanding is that the old GMAC has been sold off, the losses eaten, and a new auto financing arm has been structured.  It is free of all the bad decisions of the bright managers that thought they would be stars at GM with their finance ideas and MBA degrees.  The new arm is intended to be (or become) solely a captive finance subsidiary.  The new captive, called "GM Financial" or GMF, still has some burdens, including a higher number of auto leases (40+ % of portfolio, compared to Ford Credit's 20%), and GMF is accepting more buyer borrowers with sub-prime credit scores  (FICO below 620).  Those somewhat riskier loans will likely have a higher repo and loan-loss rate than at Ford Credit. 

GM's other problem is that the residual values in the lease turn-ins are lower than anticipated, so that creates a drag on earnings.  However, GMF is funding its auto loans with unsecured loans of its own, thus its borrowings are not  a claim on its assets, and that makes GMF better positioned; no outside lender can force the company into bankruptcy or seize its assets, the loans, thus disrupting the customer base.  GM is not out of the woods yet - it will be taking loan hits with the closing of European operations and resultant decrease in residual values in Europe - but it is a long, long way from where it was as GMAC.  I think you will find that GM customers, even those with shaky credit histories, will be able to continue to purchase GM products.  Good news for the pick-up sector. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mthebold said:

Can you do this lesson in the diction of Steve Irwin?

Crikey!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mike Marcellus said:

Crikey!

In a word: done!

• Like 1