Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TB

Instead Of A Withdrawal, An Initiative: Iran Hopes To Agree With Russia And Turkey on Syrian Constitution Forum

Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif said he hoped to reach an agreement on Tuesday with Russia and Turkey on the composition of a new Constitutional Committee in Syria. According to Reuters agency, Zarif, arriving at the United Nations in Geneva for talks with his Russian and Turkish counterparts, Sergei Lavrov and Mehmet Cavusoglu, hosted by U.N. Special Envoy Staffan de Mistura, was asked whether he expected a deal to be reached. “I hope so,” Zarif told reporters. 

Three bastions of democracy...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The three nations, who support opposing sides in Syria's eight years of war and regime of Assad, are still there ... And now Iran wants to spread democracy

• Like 1

Key words - "reportedly". Russia, Iran, and Turkey are reportedly close to agreement on composition of a Syrian constitutional committee. I mean good news for Syria, but democracy under Iran,  Russia or Turkey has a different name: autocracy

• Like 1

Is Erdogan planning to make Syria as part of greater Turkey?

Displaced Syrians by location, 2017.

Syria: 6,300,000
Turkey: 3,570,000
Lebanon: 1,000,000
Jordan: 661,000
Germany: 530,000
Iraq: 248,000
Egypt: 128,000
Sweden: 110,000
Canada: 54,000
Austria: 50,000
US: 33,000

(Pew Research and United Nations)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rainman said:

Displaced Syrians by location, 2017.

Syria: 6,300,000
Turkey: 3,570,000
Lebanon: 1,000,000
Jordan: 661,000
Germany: 530,000
Iraq: 248,000
Egypt: 128,000
Sweden: 110,000
Canada: 54,000
Austria: 50,000
US: 33,000

(Pew Research and United Nations)

I don't see Russia and Iran in the list, but they decide the syrian war. It's very "comic" situation...

• Like 1

Russia, Iran and Syria want the U.S. out of a unilaterally declared base AL -Tanf. Putin wants to get back the power they had during the Cold War. How far are they willing to go?

• Like 1

(edited)

It is said that the U.S. has an underlying goal of preventing Syria building a natural gas pipeline to Turkey. If that is true it seems that we have paid too high a price for that goal. It also seems that with the abundance of Natural Gas there is some question whether it would be cost effective. I think it would be very vulnerable to demolition by groups who would want to extract payments for leaving it alone. 

https://www.news.com.au/world/middle-east/is-the-fight-over-a-gas-pipeline-fuelling-the-worlds-bloodiest-conflict/news-story/74efcba9554c10bd35e280b63a9afb74

Pipeline from Iran via Iraq and Syria to Europe.

77cd54d63d4af694cfab697c41a575e6

Edited by ronwagn
added reference
  • Like 1

(edited)

Its very good that regional powers finally come to agreement and now will  take control in Syria and West no longer can continue to support rebels against Assad.

Russia is traditionally very close ally of Syria  and that was and still be russian sphere of infuence.  Nice.

Its also good that tragic results of western backed Arab Spring are overthrown in Syria. Because I strongly support secular syrian goverment if alternative is  only moderate rebels from ISIS or Al-Qaida. So moderate there was a genocidal threat for christian minority that now prepare to celebrate Christmas in Damascus.

Edited by Tomasz
  • Like 1

(edited)

2 hours ago, Tomasz said:

Its very good that regional powers finally come to agreement and now will  take control in Syria and West no longer can continue to support rebels against Assad.

Russia is traditionally very close ally of Syria  and that was and still be russian sphere of infuence.  Nice.

Its also good that tragic results of western backed Arab Spring are overthrown in Syria. Because I strongly support secular syrian goverment if alternative is  only moderate rebels from ISIS or Al-Qaida. So moderate there was a genocidal threat for christian minority that now prepare to celebrate Christmas in Damascus.

I have always had strong reservations about America wanting to depose Assad when he protects Christians while we do not bother.

Edited by ronwagn
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2