All To Go into AI, Cybersecurity

Not necessarily....

Tires Slashed, Guns Pulled On Self-Driving Cars As Arizona Residents Revolt

More than 20 driverless vehicles in Arizona have reportedly been vandalized over the last two years, according to the New York Timesas enraged locals in the Waymo test market of Chandler have begun to revolt.

Tensions began to flare last year after an Arizona pedestrian was killed by a self-drivng Uber car, with residents slashing tires, throwing rocks at, pulling guns on, and trying to wreck the autonomous cars. 

... According to New York City University media theorist Douglas Rushkoff, "People are lashing out justifiably," as he compared driverless cars to "robotic incarnations of scabs," workers who cross picket lines to take the jobs of striking workers. 

"There’s a growing sense that the giant corporations honing driverless technologies do not have our best interests at heart," said Rushkoff. "Just think about the humans inside these vehicles, who are essentially training the artificial intelligence that will replace them."

• Like 2

Um, it just occurred to me that, just like drones (remember our discussion about Gatwick?) these self driving cars can be weaponized.  Now that's a can of worms!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

5 future-proof jobs you should consider retraining for in 2019

I'm one of those who will die of starvation, then, given my tech anti-savvy. So sad.

As jobs become scarcer - and more brutal - I wonder if women will become more excited about getting married, staying home, and having kids.  I know I've seen many drop out of the professional world after they realized it's not fun. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

Um, it just occurred to me that, just like drones (remember our discussion about Gatwick?) these self driving cars can be weaponized.  Now that's a can of worms!

Oh, they certainly can be weaponized. I think that's one reason their makers are biding their time.

@mthebold, I don't think I know any women who work simply for the fun of it and are only too happy to drop it to stay home and take care of babies. Besides, there isn't a guarantee there will be enough men with the right skills to be the sole bread-earners in their households. Plumbing takes skill, too. I can be a plumber, I guess, when writers become obsolete. Or a nurse. Anything but software. Or can we just have the zombie apocalypse before AI takes over? I'll be excellent at surviving.

21 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Or can we just have the zombie apocalypse before AI takes over? I'll be excellent at surviving.

But isn't AI going to be the actual Zombie Apocalypse?  Humans with zombie-ish bodies dependent on AI to do their actual thinking for them?

• Like 2

Oh, no, that's not half as fun as the actual flesh-eating disease carriers. This is a scary apocalypse scenario that we may actually be very close to, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

(edited)

8 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

@mthebold I don't think I know any women who work simply for the fun of it and are only too happy to drop it to stay home and take care of babies. Besides, there isn't a guarantee there will be enough men with the right skills to be the sole bread-earners in their households. Plumbing takes skill, too. I can be a plumber, I guess, when writers become obsolete. Or a nurse. Anything but software. Or can we just have the zombie apocalypse before AI takes over? I'll be excellent at surviving. 

This is a bit of a rant.  It's not directed at you personally, but it needs to be said. 

There's irony in your comment.  Adding women to the workforce nearly doubled the size of said workforce, which severely depressed wages.  Companies also must deal with parents who are juggling two jobs and childcare, leaving them exhausted, distracted, and far less effective at work.  That's aside from the enormous resources sunk into training promising women, many of whom drop out of the workforce after a few years.  It's become riskier and more expensive to employ people even as their effectiveness has declined.

Modern society has roughly followed this sequence of events: 
1)  In the beginning, most women stayed at home, per social norms.  Wages were high enough for men to support families.
2)  Women were given the option of working outside the home, but there was no obligation.
3)  Wages fell to the point where both men and women were required to work.
4)  The quality of the workforce suffered as no one was home to properly raise the next generation.  Companies outsourced and wages fell further.
5)  Single, childless, overworked, underpaid, unappreciated, disillusioned with their careers, and without reason to care, men began dropping out of the workforce, getting addicted to opioids, committing suicide, and declaring women not worth the effort.  Marriage and fertility declined. 

The final result of the "freedom" women demanded is that many find themselves single, childless, overworked, and underpaid.  Our armed forces suffer because young men are too weak - and apathetic - to fight.  Our economy suffers because young people are seeking pleasure instead of building their future.  The children suffer because no one is home to raise them.  Our government is overrun by sociopaths because no one has time for civic duties.  In short, it's been an unmitigated disaster. 

Young women may not understand the situation in such detail, but their anxiety betrays that they know something is wrong.  They know someone must protect and provide lest society collapse, and they know men are decreasingly interested in doing so.  When I go on dates, women vet my loyalty to the Greater Good(TM).  They want to know that I have a lucrative job, do noble work (as they define it), and volunteer my free time to strangers.  They want to know I would give everything - even my life - for the benefit of others.  They do this even as they call me a "privileged white male", choose low-paying careers that signal virtue, and insist that their future spouse should accommodate their every whim.  They've gotten so bad that if I suggest I'm not interested in raising other people's children because I want my own, I'm seen as selfish.  They immediately set about shaming me for daring to want a single thing in return for the total sacrifice they demand. 

I, of course, will have none of this - and other men seem to be reaching that same conclusion.  If I'm to sacrifice for society, I want reasonable work at fair wages, a fiscally responsible government (I.e. less welfare spending), a tolerable wife capable of bearing healthy children (surprisingly difficult to find with so many living on junk food and drugs), and some respect in the community.  Short of that, society can take a hike.  If I have no children, the future isn't my problem. 

In fact, I'll help burn society to the ground.  I'm running out of ways to entertain myself, a raging civil war would be a hell of a time, and society's moral rot needs to be purged anyway.  If you find that too extreme, I'd recommend looking at how Western societies treat veterans, blue-collar workers, and fathers.  At this point, they have every right to violent rebellion.

Edited by mthebold
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@mthebold, I wish you would quit beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel.    

I would also mention that you are a very literal, direct person, as far as I can tell.  It's very rare to find that in the world.  You may never find someone who thinks like you, and should consider finding someone who will "put up" with you.  I believe that is what I have found. 

Cheers. 

• Upvote 1

(edited)

1 hour ago, Mike Marcellus said:

@mthebold, I wish you would quit beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel.    

I would also mention that you are a very literal, direct person, as far as I can tell.  It's very rare to find that in the world.  You may never find someone who thinks like you, and should consider finding someone who will "put up" with you.  I believe that is what I have found. 

Cheers.  

One tries.  Unfortunately, no matter how direct I am, I find people endlessly inventive in pursuit of missing the point.  I think Edgar Mitchell had it right when he pointed out that some things must be experienced to be taken seriously:

image.thumb.png.665088d148ae9f11f19db70c32687150.png

He and I's experiences were different, but both were compelling.

Of course, part of my directness is personality.  Another part is that I didn't grow up with the luxury of beating around the bush.  Mincing words is something rich people do because the consequences don't affect them.  If poor people don't solve problems quickly, they suffer - assuming they survive that long. 

To put a person's words into perspective, it's helpful to know where they sit on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.  I've had the good fortune of deeply experiencing most levels of the hierarchy, which makes it easier to recognize where others are coming from.  On occasion, I see that a person or group could be unceremoniously launched from one level to another - either up or down - and they're woefully unprepared for the transition.  When I see that, I tailor my words to their needs.  They don't understand what I'm saying - much less why I'm saying it - and I'm not always right.  However, in the off chance they end up where I think they'll end up, they'll need those words.  I'd rather risk embarrassment than let them suffer needlessly. 

Or, as a simpler, wiser man once put it, "If you're walking down the street with a booger hanging out of your nose, I'm going to tell you.  That way, you can remove it before anyone else sees." 

As always, everyone is free to add to, detract from, or outright disagree with anything I say.  I'm in favor of learning. 

Edited by mthebold
Minor phrasing edits.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, mthebold said:

I find people endlessly inventive in pursuit of missing the point

....don't you  just "love" it when someone tries so hard to read into your words,  and all they had to do was just read, or listen to them

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Marcellus said:

....don't you  just "love" it when someone tries so hard to read into your words,  and all they had to do was just read, or listen to them 

It's always a pleasure *rolls eyes*

Seriously though, some people legitimately try.  I enjoy those conversations.  It's the ones who think real problems will disappear if only we all talk about our feelings... they give me headaches.  I just want to say, "Yes, I'm aware that nearly everything I say is laden with emotion.  That's called, 'Being human'.  Now can we please focus on the very real problem at hand?"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, mthebold said:

Seriously though, some people legitimately try.  I enjoy those conversations.

Interesting, good for you. It's something for me to shoot for, I'm still struggling with those conversations.   False objections and why people use them is pretty interesting in its self.

• Like 1