Marina Schwarz

All To Go into AI, Cybersecurity

Not necessarily....

Tires Slashed, Guns Pulled On Self-Driving Cars As Arizona Residents Revolt

More than 20 driverless vehicles in Arizona have reportedly been vandalized over the last two years, according to the New York Times, as enraged locals in the Waymo test market of Chandler have begun to revolt.

Tensions began to flare last year after an Arizona pedestrian was killed by a self-drivng Uber car, with residents slashing tires, throwing rocks at, pulling guns on, and trying to wreck the autonomous cars. 

... According to New York City University media theorist Douglas Rushkoff, "People are lashing out justifiably," as he compared driverless cars to "robotic incarnations of scabs," workers who cross picket lines to take the jobs of striking workers. 

"There’s a growing sense that the giant corporations honing driverless technologies do not have our best interests at heart," said Rushkoff. "Just think about the humans inside these vehicles, who are essentially training the artificial intelligence that will replace them."

• Like 2

Um, it just occurred to me that, just like drones (remember our discussion about Gatwick?) these self driving cars can be weaponized.  Now that's a can of worms!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

Um, it just occurred to me that, just like drones (remember our discussion about Gatwick?) these self driving cars can be weaponized.  Now that's a can of worms!

Oh, they certainly can be weaponized. I think that's one reason their makers are biding their time.

@mthebold, I don't think I know any women who work simply for the fun of it and are only too happy to drop it to stay home and take care of babies. Besides, there isn't a guarantee there will be enough men with the right skills to be the sole bread-earners in their households. Plumbing takes skill, too. I can be a plumber, I guess, when writers become obsolete. Or a nurse. Anything but software. Or can we just have the zombie apocalypse before AI takes over? I'll be excellent at surviving.

21 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Or can we just have the zombie apocalypse before AI takes over? I'll be excellent at surviving.

But isn't AI going to be the actual Zombie Apocalypse?  Humans with zombie-ish bodies dependent on AI to do their actual thinking for them?

• Like 2

Oh, no, that's not half as fun as the actual flesh-eating disease carriers. This is a scary apocalypse scenario that we may actually be very close to, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

@mthebold, I wish you would quit beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel.    

I would also mention that you are a very literal, direct person, as far as I can tell.  It's very rare to find that in the world.  You may never find someone who thinks like you, and should consider finding someone who will "put up" with you.  I believe that is what I have found. 

Cheers. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, mthebold said:

I find people endlessly inventive in pursuit of missing the point

....don't you  just "love" it when someone tries so hard to read into your words,  and all they had to do was just read, or listen to them

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, mthebold said:

Seriously though, some people legitimately try.  I enjoy those conversations.

Interesting, good for you. It's something for me to shoot for, I'm still struggling with those conversations.   False objections and why people use them is pretty interesting in its self.

• Like 1