AC

Electric Cars Making Gas Cars As Obsolete As ‘Flip Phones’

7 hours ago, Illurion said:

Excellent,   i have just the mercenary job for you:

You need to dress up as a Viking,  and go to all of the rallies of the terrorist group that calls itself ANTIFA...

Use your sword and axe to kill all of the antifa's....

That would be very useful to the world. 9_9

The antifa's are so pantywaist,  that you will win every battle and never die....

This is said in jest but inciting violence is a dangerous path to take.

35 minutes ago, mthebold said:

While we're on the topic, the viking tradition was for old warriors to seek battle unto death.  This served a triple purpose:
1)  It gave them purpose & entertainment to the very end.
2)  It eliminated the cost of elderly care - which was prohibitive in the harsh Scandinavian climate.
3)  It brought wealth back to the community via pillaging. 

I'm a bit surprised America's old farts haven't revived this practice.  It would sort the country out in a hurry. 

The USA has been carrying out number 3) for quite sometime and it hasn't helped much.

9 hours ago, DA? said:

The USA has been carrying out number 3) for quite sometime and it hasn't helped much.

Also, the old farts have figured out that it is better to send the young off to die so they don't have to die themselves.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, John N Denver said:

Also, the old farts have figured out that it is better to send the young off to die so they don't have to die themselves.

Always seemed the wrong way round, us old farts are far less useful.

13 hours ago, DA? said:

This is said in jest but inciting violence is a dangerous path to take.

Excellent words.

But you should be addressing them to the Antifa thugs who are beating up people.

3 hours ago, John N Denver said:

Not exactly.

Many of the old farts served when they were young.

1 hour ago, DA? said:

Always seemed the wrong way round, us old farts are far less useful.

True.

8 minutes ago, Illurion said:

Excellent words.

But you should be addressing them to the Antifa thugs who are beating up people.

I address it to anyone that uses violence.

25 minutes ago, DA? said:

I address it to anyone that uses violence.

Ok.

I have used violence in the past to defend myself from a criminal thug who was trying to kill me.

So you are saying i am wrong to have used violence to defend myself ?

If so,  then you and i disagree.

What will you do when someone puts a gun to your head ?

• Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, Illurion said:

Ok.

I have used violence in the past to defend myself from a criminal thug who was trying to kill me.

So you are saying i am wrong to have used violence to defend myself ?

If so,  then you and i disagree.

What will you do when someone puts a gun to your head ?

Hari Seldon, “Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.”  

I guess I've been incompetent as well, but have always tried to use the minimal amount of violence required.

1 hour ago, DA? said:

I guess I've been incompetent as well, but have always tried to use the minimal amount of violence required.

"Hari Seldon"

That takes me back a while.

The Foundation Trilogy

Excellent books

I ought to go reread them.

Haven't read them since the 70's...

8 hours ago, DA? said:

Antifa are not nice people.   They kill for fun..

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/01/breaking-antifa-group-claims-responsibility-for-attempted-assassination-of-german-afd-politician/

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:28 PM, Illurion said:

"Hari Seldon"

That takes me back a while.

The Foundation Trilogy

Excellent books

I ought to go reread them.

Haven't read them since the 70's...

I've just been rereading a load of books that I read ages ago, Mars trilogy, some Arthur C Clarke and War & Peace, although I listened to the Foundation books on youtube. It's funny how your understanding of the message behind the story changes over the years.

• Upvote 1

On 1/8/2019 at 7:43 AM, mthebold said:

This is a good point.  When people discuss charge times and charging infrastructure, they ignore the benefits of home charging.

When charging at home you can also do so overnight when electricity rates are lowest saving even more money. Generally red states (South, Midwest) will save more money switching from gas mobiles to evs than blue states (West, Northeast) because of lower electricity costs there.

31 minutes ago, shadowkin said:

When charging at home you can also do so overnight when electricity rates are lowest saving even more money. Generally red states (South, Midwest) will save more money switching from gas mobiles to evs than blue states (West, Northeast) because of lower electricity costs there.

Which states are you saying has lower electricity prices? I'm not following the red/blue distinction with regards to prices.

10 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Which states are you saying has lower electricity prices? I'm not following the red/blue distinction with regards to prices.

Red/blue distinction. A state like California has expensive gas. They also have higher electricity rates than say Wyoming. So the savings won't be as great as in Wyoming where gas/electricity is cheaper if you are comparing the difference in fuel costs of an ev vs gas car.

I'll correct myself a bit. I was recalling from past info but now it seems even the West (mostly) saves comparable or better to Midwest, South. Northeast saves the least but still saves money.  Here is a calculator by the DOE where you can compare what it costs to fill up versus charge. They use an average of state gas prices and the latest electricity rates.