Electric Cars Making Gas Cars As Obsolete As ‘Flip Phones’

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:28 PM, Illurion said:

"Hari Seldon"

That takes me back a while.

The Foundation Trilogy

Excellent books

I ought to go reread them.

Haven't read them since the 70's...

I've just been rereading a load of books that I read ages ago, Mars trilogy, some Arthur C Clarke and War & Peace, although I listened to the Foundation books on youtube. It's funny how your understanding of the message behind the story changes over the years.

• Upvote 1

On 1/8/2019 at 7:43 AM, mthebold said:

This is a good point.  When people discuss charge times and charging infrastructure, they ignore the benefits of home charging.

When charging at home you can also do so overnight when electricity rates are lowest saving even more money. Generally red states (South, Midwest) will save more money switching from gas mobiles to evs than blue states (West, Northeast) because of lower electricity costs there.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, shadowkin said:

When charging at home you can also do so overnight when electricity rates are lowest saving even more money. Generally red states (South, Midwest) will save more money switching from gas mobiles to evs than blue states (West, Northeast) because of lower electricity costs there.

Yup.  Not only that, but some parts of the Midwest have extremely low electricity prices fueled by nuclear.  I have a friend in The People's State of Illinois who sometimes sees negative electricity rates and often sees <$0.02/kWh.  He's actually writing an app to control home electricity loads according to spot prices. 

Speaking of which, is anyone interested in being a beta- tester? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, shadowkin said:

Which states are you saying has lower electricity prices? I'm not following the red/blue distinction with regards to prices.

10 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Which states are you saying has lower electricity prices? I'm not following the red/blue distinction with regards to prices.

Red/blue distinction. A state like California has expensive gas. They also have higher electricity rates than say Wyoming. So the savings won't be as great as in Wyoming where gas/electricity is cheaper if you are comparing the difference in fuel costs of an ev vs gas car.

I'll correct myself a bit. I was recalling from past info but now it seems even the West (mostly) saves comparable or better to Midwest, South. Northeast saves the least but still saves money.  Here is a calculator by the DOE where you can compare what it costs to fill up versus charge. They use an average of state gas prices and the latest electricity rates.