Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

(edited)

It is a terrible waste of American resources to continue to allow flaring. The same applies worldwide. Environmentalists should focus on this, but it is seldom mentioned, possibly because they fear it would point out the value of natural gas. I could go into great detail on all of the ways and means to use the flared natural gas but it all comes down to the oil drillers flare because they are allowed to. Many oilmen do not want to be bothered with natural gas and consider it not worth saving so it is not processed onsite and is flared. The only answer is to impose strict laws requiring the use of oil associated natural gas. 

I could go into great detail about all the available technology to use natural gas onsite or ship it to market. It is not rocket science. If a company cannot afford to process natural gas they need to find another business. We need laws and enforcement and to encourage the world to do the same. 

https://www.uop.com/equipment/callidus/products-and-services/flare-systems/flare-gas-recovery-systems/

https://www.aggreko.com/en-us/news/2017/nam-articles/oil-and-gas/how-to-power-ep-when-there-is-no-utility-available

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Gas-Prices/Natural-Gas-Prices-Fall-Below-Zero-In-Texas.html

Flared natural gas-based onsite atmospheric water harvesting (AWH) for oilfield operations

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/11/3/034024/meta

Edited by ronwagn
reference
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

The Operators who are producing oil and flaring the gas don't produce enough gas to warrant building a pipeline.  When you see large flares it looks like a waste, but it is just uneconomic and reduces production of crude.

• Downvote 1

14 hours ago, JoMack said:

The Operators who are producing oil and flaring the gas don't produce enough gas to warrant building a pipeline.  When you see large flares it looks like a waste, but it is just uneconomic and reduces production of crude.

Then they need to find another line of work. You obviously didn't read any of my references. 

Sorry ronwagn, all oil and gas companies do this with no pipelines accessible and no enough gas being produced.  Sources are irrelevant to facts on the ground.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 6:12 AM, JoMack said:

Sorry ronwagn, all oil and gas companies do this with no pipelines accessible and no enough gas being produced.  Sources are irrelevant to facts on the ground.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/The-Permian-Has-A-Flaring-Problem.html A blatant waste of natural resources and much of it is illegal, the laws in Texas are not being enforced. 

It happens to us. When oil industry was at its nascent stage, only  heavier components used for heating were tapped and most of the lighter components were cold or hot flared. Those days environmental concerns were not there. As the industry grew , matured and with the advent of IC engines , practically nothing is wasted. So far as tapping of NG depending on the economic Btu in it can prove to be great savings in the long run. With environmental concerns rising , flaring of NG has become an Achilles hills for the producers in the field  . NG's viable use with the technology available in the field can be great source of  revenue  in the long run  besides minimizing environmental issues . 

• Downvote 1

On 2/4/2019 at 5:31 PM, ronwagn said:

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/The-Permian-Has-A-Flaring-Problem.html A blatant waste of natural resources and much of it is illegal, the laws in Texas are not being enforced. 

Well, the author of the article you're using as some kind of authority please note he touts the information on flaring from the EDF, that's a laugh.  They are environmental advocates for climate change and "not" friends of the oil and gas industry.  In fact they are more likely in step with Ocrazio-Cortez and the Green New Deal.  

• Like 1

Surprised to find him on Oilprice.com then. I know that this natural gas can be used or sold and how it can be done. There is no denying it. I am for fracking, horizontal drilling and maximizing oil and natural gas development. Against wasting natural gas. 

• Like 1

(edited)

22 hours ago, JoMack said:

Well, the author of the article you're using as some kind of authority please note he touts the information on flaring from the EDF, that's a laugh.  They are environmental advocates for climate change and "not" friends of the oil and gas industry.  In fact they are more likely in step with Ocrazio-Cortez and the Green New Deal.  

Please see comment above.

Edited by ronwagn

I appreciate your common sense approach to nat gas. I believe nat gas energy will grow faster than any other form of energy for 2-3 decades. Even with the added costs of no flaring nat gas will dominate new production and new consumption. All the fear mongering about renewables being to  competitive  may be true to a point but the shrinking market share of coal and nuclear leaves plenty of market share for nat gas even with legislating no flaring.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2019 at 3:04 AM, ronwagn said:

Surprised to find him on Oilprice.com then. I know that this natural gas can be used or sold and how it can be done. There is no denying it. I am for fracking, horizontal drilling and maximizing oil and natural gas development. Against wasting natural gas. 

I believe there are modular portable CNG / LNG plants that could address this issue. Don't know about the economics but I suspect teh wafer thin margins in these operations excludes the capital investment needed to purchase plant of this nature. 

• Like 1

This looks interesting. Modular GTL units used in the Marcellus to convert flared natural gas into Methanol which makes it easy to transport to Methanol users. Not sure what the position is in the USA but in Europe you can blend 2-3% Methanol into Gasoline. 

https://www.primusge.com/project/marcellus-project/

• Like 1