Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SM

Keystone XL pipeline opponents appeal Nebraska route approval

Opponents of TransCanada Corp’s proposed Keystone XL pipeline appealed a decision by Nebraska regulators to approve a path for the project through the state. The legal challenge throws up another obstacle to the long-delayed project, which environmentalists have made a symbol of their fight against climate change but which President Donald Trump supports as a job creator.

Days after a huge oil spill, Keystone XL gets final approval to build through Nebraska. Clearly there is something going on with the transport of this heavy oil from sand 

The pipeline failure rate and failure mechanisms are each outside the expected norms

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

The pipeline failure rate and failure mechanisms are each outside the expected norms

It’s not hard to understand that old pipelines need to be replaced by newer pipelines. But stopping them being built will only lead to more spills. 

11 minutes ago, Meanwhile said:

It’s not hard to understand that old pipelines need to be replaced by newer pipelines. But stopping them being built will only lead to more spills. 

There are 2.4+ million miles of pipeline in the US and we've had little to no major accidents.

26 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Opponents of TransCanada Corp’s proposed Keystone XL pipeline appealed a decision by Nebraska regulators to approve a path for the project through the state. The legal challenge throws up another obstacle to the long-delayed project, which environmentalists have made a symbol of their fight against climate change but which President Donald Trump supports as a job creator.

I don't think Keystone is perfect, but it looks like it is our best option

35 minutes ago, Kate Turlington said:

I know Canada needs it, but does the US really need Keystone? 

Oil is owned by Canada and it's for overseas markets, mostly China. I am not sure I see benefit for the US

1 minute ago, Joanna said:

Oil is owned by Canada and it's for overseas markets, mostly China. I am not sure I see benefit for the US

that oil goes to our refineries. it then becomes part of traded oil products

2 minutes ago, JohnAtronis said:

that oil goes to our refineries. it then becomes part of traded oil products

i think it is not worth of risk. One oil spill, like the one in North Dakota, diminishes as the benefits of it

Just now, Joanna said:

i think it is not worth of risk. One oil spill, like the one in North Dakota, diminishes as the benefits of it

The only benefit we get is a boom in hazardous waste cleanup sector to service all the oil spills.

Alas, pipelines are the least risky way of moving crude oil and fuels. Compare a pipeline spill to a derailed oil train. Somebody did the statistics and proved it. And yet pipeline opponents seem to be much more lax towards oil trains for some unfathomable reason.

So Nebraska has now proposed an alternative route, and TransCanada is saying it's not a big deal, which suggests they might be close to making a final investment decision. 

I'm all for conspiracy theories. How about this as to why the big anti-pipeline push?

"Billionaires such as Warren Buffett are using secretive foundations to finance anti-pipeline protests (with help from Vladimir Putin?) – and ... quietly bought the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad and Union Tank Car manufacturing company – with no notice, dissent or interference, Morningstar observed."

http://naturalgasnow.org/warren-buffett-war-on-us-pipelines-with-help-from-putin/