Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rainman

French Producers Attack U.S. Decision On Foie Gras Ban

French foie gras makers have accused the U.S. Supreme Court of bowing to false claims by vegetarian lobbyists with its refusal to hear an appeal against a California ban on the delicacy produced from force-fed ducks and geese. The U.S. court on Monday declined to hear an appeal by producers that also included a Canadian non-profit organization that represents duck and goose farmers, clearing the ban on a product that French lawmakers recognized in 2006 as part the European country’s “cultural and gastronomic heritage”. France is by far the world’s largest foie gras producer with a market share of about 70 percent. “It is unacceptable that such a decision, taken under the influence of the lobbying of some activists orchestrating regular misinformation on our products to advocate dogmatic vegetarianism, could endanger the image of an emblematic dish of the French art of living,” Michel Fruchet, head of French foie gras producers group Cifog, said in a statement on Tuesday.

Emmanuel Macron cant say "we harm animals But it's OK it's for heritage". No big deal about this.

If presented with the food source, geese will self-feed at the levels required to turn the liver fatty enough to be considered Foie Gras..

• Upvote 1

Force-feeding animals to produce giant livers for snob consumption is a disgraceful practice!!!

It does not taste that good, and It's pretty expensive.

Get loads of this at this time of the year given to you in France. I eat it, to be not rude and it's not bad, but I would never buy it and don't agree with the practices used to produce it.

So, they force-feed them, they give them antibiotics, good only knows what hormones, and food probably soaked in pesticides, and then someone eat it's liver. Gross. And cruel.

As far as I'm concerned, they may keep the "foie gras" (especially when fried, yuk), but the parts of the leftovers called "confits de canard" always is well received on my plate. Fairly cheap too. As far as force feeding is concerned: anyone ever check out the annual Wallmart photographs?

Just google: "walmart fat people" and wonder who's complaining about force feeding.

Have fun.

I'm no activist, much less vegetarian but as regards foi gras, they can keep it. I wouldn't flaunt a piece of cultural heritage like that but that's just me.

4 hours ago, RuudinFrance said:

Just google: "walmart fat people" and wonder who's complaining about force feeding.

Have fun.

Really? Comparing a sapient species capable of making decisions such as humans to a non-sapient species incapable of any sort of rational or for that matter irrational thought? It is funny.

• Upvote 1