Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SM

Iraq Bans Kurdish Firm Kar Group From Operating Kirkuk Oil Fields

Iraq’s parliament voted to ban Kurdish engineering firm Kar Group from operating Kirkuk’s oil fields, following Iraq’s recapture of the Kurdish-held oil region in October. The Kurds have withdrawn from most Kirkuk oil fields since October, but the vote came after lawmakers said the Kar Group refused to cooperate with Iraq’s state-run North Oil Co. (NOC) and hand back the Khurmala oil field. The Kurds claim Khurmala is located inside the official boundaries of the KRG

surely not a positive move if they want peaceful region. Not even sure Iraq government really wants it

Independence referendum was premature. Amateurish play by Kurdistan officials

right. You can't do that unless you have strong international backing

who knows. Maybe they were hoping to get US support, considering that they beat ISIS with our weapons and logistical assistance 

Just now, Joanna said:

who knows. Maybe they were hoping to get US support, considering that they beat ISIS with our weapons and logistical assistance 

I wouldn't place my fate on this administration

Major powers like US, Russia, EU... have a collective interest to maintain the status quo, but most people would agree that a large population of people should have the right to determine their own future where a significant majority express a preference for this over a substantial period.

just history repeating. The Americans and the Brits have always used ethnic groups to fight for our interests, and later  walk away to leave these poor people to their fate

I dont care about oil or statehood, but I just love the Kurds. They've created the most progressive, the bravest feminist army in history and got the support of the hard right from across Europe to the U.S.

1 minute ago, Joanna said:

I dont care about oil or statehood, but I just love the Kurds. They've created the most progressive, the bravest feminist army in history and got the support of the hard right from across Europe to the U.S.

The Barzani declaration of independence from Iraq was so stupid, yet built on a lives of Kurdish fighters. Why are Kurds fighting in Iraq and Syria when they will never be welcome there?

The Kurds have no supporters or backers at this time. Not even Russia or Syria. Betrayed by the US, adept at betraying allies, they now face the military action against them by Iraq, Turkey, Syria...

2 hours ago, JohnAtronis said:

Independence referendum was premature. Amateurish play by Kurdistan officials

well, there are 55 articles in the Iraqi Constitution that have not been implemented or have been violated by Baghdad. I don't see any sanctions there. Or nobody expect Iraqi to implement it 

Things are about to get a lot worse in Kirkuk, and especially for Kurdistan. How the tide turns swiftly. Unfortunately, not only are we going to see a brutal Arabization of Kirkuk now, but the Kurds can't even help their own people because their two main political parties are too busy fighting amongst themselves.