PP

Good Marriage And Bad Divorce: Germany's Merkel Wants Britain and EU To Divorce On Good Terms

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Tuesday she wanted Britain and the European Union to divorce on good terms. “I care now that we and Britain divorce in a good process so that afterwards we can still work closely together in the areas where we must cooperate - on defense, on domestic security, on policing, on combating terrorism, and in trade too, and so that Britain can take part in our research projects if they want,” Merkel said during a question and answer session with citizens.

• Like 1

Generally divorces don't happen that way so do what's in the best interest of the country...

• Like 2

Instead of May, Britain needs Merkel... 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

(edited)

Too little, too late... Maybe, they should stay together for the kids :)

Edited by rainman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Britain has no strategy...  It’s without vision, plan..  It will make damage for both sides. So, Britain is in a sticky position, including UK PM.

Finish this divorce and cooperate afterward. Great Britain has its own trade partners including the USA. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unfortunately, the British are not going to have a "nice divorce."  If that happens, then there is nothing to hold back the other unhappy partners in the EU, and I would include even the Dutch in that.  The thinking of the bureaucrats and main political leaders, specifically from Germany and France,  is that there is a specific price to pay for leaving.  That price is going to be painful. 

The Eurocrats will see to it that Britain's exports to the Eurozone will be taxed and tariffed, and will be forced to conform to Europe's  various Regulations - exactly what the British Brexiters insist will never happen, the Britain will not surrender its "sovereignty."  Those types of conflicts will make for hard feelings.  Meanwhile the British will continue to buy Japanese cars, possibly even shunning the Jaguar, now owned by Germans. With the collapse of British Leyland Britain does not have much of a car industry in any event, so even the most loyal British consumer runs out of choices.  Those big German cars, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, will take a hit.  However, some 50% of their sales are to the USA, so it is not as it they are going to get their Lederhosen into a big knot over it. 

Where Britain will take a hit is in shipbuilding and yacht-building.  I predict that business will move to France and Poland.  And I don't see British yards getting some exemption from tariffs for their heavy iron, the ferryboats and cargoliners.  Those big yards are going to get into trouble.  Oh, well. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/22/2019 at 3:30 PM, ronwagn said:

Finish this divorce and cooperate afterward. Great Britain has its own trade partners including the USA. 

I am skeptical about good outcomes from Brexit.

Bloomberg published the following article yesterday:

Airbus Threat to Quit U.K. Over Brexit Adds to Risk of Exodus

By 
 and 
January 23, 2019, 10:00 PM PST Updated on January 24, 2019, 4:56 AM PST
  •  
    Planemaker has 14,000 workers, supports 110,000 British jobs

“If there is a no-deal Brexit, we at Airbus will have to make potentially very harmful decisions for the U.K.,” said Chief Executive Officer Tom Enders, who has been among the most outspoken business leaders on the topic. “Please don’t listen to the Brexiteers’ madness which asserts that, because we have huge plants here, we will not move and we will always be here. They are wrong.”
The comments, in an unusual video message shared by the company Thursday, are the strongest yet since the 2016 referendum from the executive who has repeatedly warned of fallout from a worst-case Brexit. They add to pressure on Theresa May, the U.K. prime minister caught in the crossfire between pro-EU members of her Conservative Party who want to postpone the March 29 Brexit deadline and euroskeptics who threaten to bring down her government if she does.

Airbus, based in Toulouse, France, directly employs 14,000 people in the U.K. and supports another 110,000, Enders said in the video. The company has production sites in Filton, in the southwest of England, and in Wales, where it manufactures wings for its range of commercial aircraft. Airbus was overtaken in 2018 by its arch-rival, Boeing Co., as the world’s biggest maker of jetliners by orders.

Enders adds to a litany of warnings about a no-deal Brexit from automakers, drug companies and retailers. Financial-services firms have already started relocating staff to the continent.

BMW AG Chief Executive Officer Harald Krueger has said the carmaker would be forced to build in the Netherlands; Toyota Motor Corp. warned of a temporary halt in production at its plant in Burnaston, England; and PSA Group, the maker of Peugeot, Citroen and DS vehicles, is considering closing one of its U.K. factories.

Britain would face a severe hollowing-out of its industrial base if such decisions were taken, yet time is running out for a decision on Brexit. If the U.K. can’t agree on a deal in the next nine weeks, the country will leave the EU in a disorderly split that British authorities warn will risk a recession. The pound might weaken as much as 25 percent.

Parliament is scheduled to vote next week on a series of options for Brexit’s next steps, including a proposal to force the government to ask the EU to extend the deadline. Senior figures in the French and German governments have said they’d be open to agreement on that request, signaling a receding risk of a no-deal Brexit.

“It is a disgrace that more than two years after the result of the 2016 referendum, businesses are still unable to plan properly for the future,” Enders said. “If you are really sure that Brexit is best for Britain, come together and deliver a pragmatic withdrawal agreement.”

While squabbling lawmakers can’t agree on a model for Brexit, many financial firms are moving money out of the City of London, a shift that may be irreversible. Five of the largest banks looking to serve continental European customers intend to send 750 billion euros ($854 billion) of assets to Frankfurt.

Airbus has been stockpiling parts at its plants in the U.K. and Germany to try to blunt any immediate impact of the hard borders that a no-deal Brexit would impose. The company has said that it expects to have enough stock to cover production for one month, but it can’t be fully prepared.

While the scale of Airbus’s plants won’t allow it to immediately vacate the U.K., the manufacturer “could be forced to redirect future investments” if Parliament doesn’t avoid a no-deal exit that risks blocking borders, restricting the movement of workers and delaying its just-in-time production line.

“Make no mistake, there are plenty of countries out there who would love to build the wings for Airbus aircraft,” Enders said.

The people voted for Brexit and deserve to have it on schedule no matter what. That is how a democracy works. Theresa May has had enough time to dawdle and achieve nothing. What the crony capitalists say shouldn't matter. Britain will be just fine without them. The European Union has very little time to make an acceptable offer. Not going through with a real Brexit is cause for a revolt of major proportions. 

12 hours ago, ronwagn said:

The people voted for Brexit and deserve to have it on schedule no matter what. That is how a democracy works. Theresa May has had enough time to dawdle and achieve nothing. What the crony capitalists say shouldn't matter. Britain will be just fine without them. The European Union has very little time to make an acceptable offer. Not going through with a real Brexit is cause for a revolt of major proportions. 

Did you read Janets above post... Losing jobs in 100s thousands. 

Incidently I agree, Brexit needs to happen, but a lot of brits will be worse off... people, just like the ones loosing their jobs when a plant shuts down somewhere in the States. 

• Like 1

This is the same propaganda they used before the Brexit vote. Remember that. i think, in the long run, Britain will be far better off. They will not be abused by the European Union as they have been in the past. 

On 1/23/2019 at 6:27 AM, Jan van Eck said:

With the collapse of British Leyland Britain does not have much of a car industry in any event, so even the most loyal British consumer runs out of choices. 

I owned a couple British Leyland vehicles, and it's earlier incarnation, BMC. Loved my MGs, but it took some dedication to tweak those downdraft SUs, deal with it's many oddities, and how can a country with so much rain build cars that practically come undercoated with rust. Dual overhead cams in the 40s, but couldn't be bothered to keep them from leaking oil. The Mini and Maxi were 30 years ahead of their time, but never worked the bugs out. Deservedly went out of business. I never understood how Ford of England made very good small cars, and the US got the Pinto. Which granted, was far better than GM's Vega.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 10:30 PM, ronwagn said:

This is the same propaganda they used before the Brexit vote. Remember that. i think, in the long run, Britain will be far better off. They will not be abused by the European Union as they have been in the past. 

Abused how? 

I have nothing against brexit other than I think it do a lot of hurt to the UK (and less hurt to the EU)

https://splash247.com/maersk-makes-its-own-brexit/ .... Tons of news like this. Real world info.Not just some breitbart or other guy saying it will be good... 

• Like 1

(edited)

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 7:21 PM, Janet Alderton said:

The pound might weaken as much as 25 percent.

And if it does, then the UK's exports get cheaper. What CEO will close a plant that just had it's export potential increase by 25%+?

Edited by Cowpoke
  • Like 1
  • Great Response! 1

Globally integrated companies, such as Airbus, import parts to assemble the aircraft wings in the UK. A weaker pound will raise the costs of imports. Cross-border flows of goods will be disrupted by a hard Brexit.

England hollowed out there industrial base a couple of decades ago. The finance sector is their only real growth in the past 20 years. They are an island nation who big run was built on globalism, only they controlled the terms during the days of the British empire. When they had obscenely favorable terms.

• Like 1

There seem to be some growing panic about a no-deal Brexit... not very reassuring.

"Cold war plans revived to move royals to safe locations away from London if unrest follows no deal "

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/03/queen-to-be-evacuated-if-brexit-turns-ugly-reports

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/europe/article/2184847/queen-elizabeth-be-evacuated-if-brexit-riots-break-out-london

(edited)

I was searching on this website for some advice regarding the divorces. I mean the real ones. I’m not very informed about all the political situation in these countries and to be honest I don’t want to. I’m dealing now with a lot of problems in my family because me and my husband are divorcing and I really don’t know what to do. I found some advice on https://breakupangels.com/page/7/ about how to be calmer, but I also need some advice about how to make all the documents correct, legally speaking.

Edited by Ouallan

(edited)

On 2/4/2019 at 8:19 AM, Guillaume Albasini said:

There seem to be some growing panic about a no-deal Brexit... not very reassuring.

"Cold war plans revived to move royals to safe locations away from London if unrest follows no deal "

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/03/queen-to-be-evacuated-if-brexit-turns-ugly-reports

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/europe/article/2184847/queen-elizabeth-be-evacuated-if-brexit-riots-break-out-london

I have watched that projected scenario for a while now, yet i truly believe Germany is going to be the center of true unrest. Their auto industry is vast and at the same time it is taking big hits world wide and about to face a huge crisis with this green movement. Retooling and retraining the auto industry is no small task, extremely cash intensive and in a down market.

https://jacobinmag.com/2021/02/worker-buyouts-germany-ig-metall

https://fortune.com/2021/02/24/biden-labor-policy-unions-shareholders-germany/

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ouallan said:

I was searching on this website for some advice regarding the divorces. I mean the real ones. I’m not very informed about all the political situation in these countries and to be honest I don’t want to. I’m dealing now with a lot of problems in my family because me and my husband are divorcing and I really don’t know what to do. I found some advice on https://breakupangels.com/page/7/ about how to be calmer, but I also need some advice about how to make all the documents correct, legally speaking.

Get a lawyer.  Find out what your options are under the law.  Claim all that is your right within the law..  Get a lawyer.

As they say back home:  Better Lawyer Up!

Search Google for "divorce lawyer (insert your area)".  Pick one, type "(their name) reviews" in Google and pick the one that sounds the best.  

Good luck.

Its really interesting as a Brit to pick up this thread again 2 years down the line and a pandemic thrown in for good measure.

Some on here saying the pound would crash against the $ and Euro and yet here we are and the pound is some 10-15 % stronger.

We have a deal (no hard Brexit as most were saying), there are no tariffs as some predicted only a bit of normal export documentation that costs about £50 per shipment, so no big deal.

We have our sovereignty back, make our own laws , have border/immigration control, basically run our own country again which is great.

If we cock it up we cant blame anyone else, if we do a great job then its down to us.

Many saying British car manufacturing is doomed, well there hasnt been any for decades that is British owned, however Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Ford etc all have major manufacturing plants in the UK and the ancillary supply chains to these are doing well.

I am sure that many other EU countries will now be looking at their own circumstances and wondering why the hell they don't do their own form of Brexit!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

Its really interesting as a Brit to pick up this thread again 2 years down the line and a pandemic thrown in for good measure.

Some on here saying the pound would crash against the $ and Euro and yet here we are and the pound is some 10-15 % stronger.

We have a deal (no hard Brexit as most were saying), there are no tariffs as some predicted only a bit of normal export documentation that costs about £50 per shipment, so no big deal.

We have our sovereignty back, make our own laws , have border/immigration control, basically run our own country again which is great.

If we cock it up we cant blame anyone else, if we do a great job then its down to us.

Many saying British car manufacturing is doomed, well there hasnt been any for decades that is British owned, however Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Ford etc all have major manufacturing plants in the UK and the ancillary supply chains to these are doing well.

I am sure that many other EU countries will now be looking at their own circumstances and wondering why the hell they don't do their own form of Brexit!

I am not sure I agree. I work with a British company that is active in the offshore wind industry - whilst they confirm that it is possible to maintain operations the cost impact on them is more than you qoute above. Significantly more. 

In fairness, though, I think it is too early to call as any potential benefits will not have materialized yet. 

9 minutes ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

I am not sure I agree. I work with a British company that is active in the offshore wind industry - whilst they confirm that it is possible to maintain operations the cost impact on them is more than you qoute above. Significantly more. 

In fairness, though, I think it is too early to call as any potential benefits will not have materialized yet. 

I guess different business types which are in different markets are affected in different ways. That being said we export 70% of what we manufacture globally for predominantly the oil and gas industry, and approximately 65% of that goes to the EU so thats about £12.5M and barring a few initial customs issues on the continent things are settling down now.

One thing is for sure that it definitely isn't the catastrophe that many were claiming it would be. The pandemic on the other hand is costing billions every month whilst we are in lockdown.

Fortunately we have vaccinated 20 million people so far and all the adult population over 50 will be jabbed over the next 6 weeks which means the UK is likely to be back on its feet well in advance of other EU nations and this will save tens of thousands of lives compared to if we had to follow EU guidelines. It will also give us a significant advantage initially in the marketplace in my opininon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55274833

The UK has also signed up to donate vaccines to poorer countries with vulnerable demographs which is the right thing to do as this is a "global" pandemic.