How the U.S. Could Lose a Tech Cold War

26 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

I didn't even know there's such a war going on but that's just me. Interesting stuff.

Hi Marina.  Yes, people are starting to come to the realization that trade and tariffs are not the main focus of the U.S. Government's efforts to reign in China.  Those issues are also important, but technology theft, and its applications, is by far the biggest threat.

21 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

I didn't even know there's such a war going on but that's just me. Interesting stuff.

Not only is a tech cold war happening, but it's not going well for the US.  Public universities in the US have destroyed their competence in the name of political correctness.  To wit: students and professors are selected for race and gender - not competence - and standards have been lowered to avoid hurting anyone's feelings.  This is reflected in the abysmal quality of research. 

Seeing this rampant political correctness and corruption, the few Americans capable of developing technology are choosing not to pursue advanced degrees, not to serve the public good, and often not to work hard at all.  Those of us labeled "privileged" realize that the public system will never reward merit, so we save our creativity and work ethic for private industry, where we may-or-may-not get a chance to contribute. 

This is aside from our leftists spending the last 40-50 years gutting the K-12 education system, again in the name of political ideology.  Today's students routinely graduate high school with less proficiency than 6th grade students of times past.  They enter universities wholly unprepared for serious study, and there's nothing professors can do to bridge that gap.  It's impossible to compensate for 13 years of lost learning. 

Even if they could fix the problem, professors have no intention of doing so.  Government & bureaucracy have taken over universities, spending ever larger sums of money on administrators, diversity programs, renovations, and other pointless crap.  Meanwhile, professors live in a "publish or perish" environment and are rewarded for  bringing in research dollars.  Pushed to their limits, they've realized they can increase their influence with employers by decreasing the quality of education.  By eliminating effective training from courses, they decrease the number of qualified graduates.  This forces employers to support their graduate students - and thereby, their research - to obtain access to reasonably qualified graduates. 

I could go on about this forever, but the overarching point stands: US public education is a raging dumpster fire.  The students know it, the professors know it, and the employers know it.  It will eventually be replaced by a more efficient paradigm, but in the mean time, we may lose our technological edge. 

The silver lining on all this is that the most competent graduates, forced to seek their fortunes in private industry, become more self-reliant.  They also innovate more quickly, which private markets demand.  Assuming we overcome the enormous burden of wasteful spending, leftist indoctrination, and lost years that public education places on us, we could come out ahead in the long run.  The issue is definitely in question though. 

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 3

2 hours ago, mthebold said:

Public universities in the US have destroyed their competence in the name of political correctness.  To wit: students and professors are selected for race and gender - not competence - and standards have been lowered to avoid hurting anyone's feelings.  This is reflected in the abysmal quality of research. 

You've very aptly described the way the educational system was organized during totalitarian times in Eastern Europe. Just swap race/gender for ideology, which, in fact, is what is happening in the U.S. behind the mask of race/ideology. Humans do not learn from their mistakes, obviously.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

You've very aptly described the way the educational system was organized during totalitarian times in Eastern Europe. Just swap race/gender for ideology, which, in fact, is what is happening in the U.S. behind the mask of race/ideology. Humans do not learn from their mistakes, obviously.

Agreed.  The point of "integration" in the US is to replace the existing culture with a more pliable one.  That's also why mass immigration has been allowed and academia discourages Western women from having kids. 

Unfortunately, it will end the same way it ended in Eastern Europe: collapse.  You can't import economically failed cultures (Middle East, Latin America, Africa, etc) and expect good economic results.  Sure, these cultures are pleasant enough, and those people are entitled to practice their culture in their own country - but America's success was built on a very different culture. 

There may be a light at the end of this tunnel though:
1)  Because leftists discourage children, they can only sustain themselves with immigration.  Eventually, they'll have a hard time justifying that immigration to the native population. 
2)  Those who hold traditional values seem more likely to have families.  E.g. I know quite a few Catholic Midwesterners having 6-8 kids/family.  Demographics are destiny, and these people are winning. 
3)  With public schools actively destroying critical thinking & competence, the families who home school and attend private schools will produce the most competitive workers. 
4)  Rapid automation means low-skill labor will slowly disappear, leaving mostly high-skill jobs that only the home schooled/private schooled kids will be qualified for. 

This will work itself out, one way or another. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

It's just neo-Marxism wrapped up in an identity politics cover to make it sound good. There is something inherently sick about the left and yes they don't learn from their mistakes. The weird part is they believe they are the good guys.

• Like 1

I believe there are moderately left people who steer clear of this sort of idiocy. I actually used to consider myself moderately left but I'm not sure what it means anymore, so I don't consider myself anything politically. I also believe there are far-right individuals who are as bad as the far-left. In short, all extremes are bad and for the life of me I cannot comprehend how this got out of control so fast and so bad.

I suspect most governments, China included, have no idea in how to manage a tech race. Spent the majority of my professional career in semiconductor tools. Prime leading edge stuff has about a most profitable shelf life of about 18 months, and takes years to develop. Being nimble, seriously investing in R&D, and to use the common adage, only the paranoid survive. The China model can be a tremendous at last year's technology, but central control will hamper them. Even the Japanese, who led technically, lost out as the speed of innovation really mattered. And you can't care if the person next to you is Chinese, Indian, American, or whatever. They just have to have their sh** together. Yes, work to make the Chinese play fair, but the key is yourself. And if offered too great a deal by a Chinese partner, consider what they are gaining. 

Also, in the tech race, the IP protections and rewards of the past need to change. IP protections also inhibit tech at a point. 

image.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1