Marina Schwarz

How the U.S. Could Lose a Tech Cold War

26 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

How the U.S. Could Lose a Tech Cold War

I didn't even know there's such a war going on but that's just me. Interesting stuff.

Hi Marina.  Yes, people are starting to come to the realization that trade and tariffs are not the main focus of the U.S. Government's efforts to reign in China.  Those issues are also important, but technology theft, and its applications, is by far the biggest threat.

2 hours ago, mthebold said:

Public universities in the US have destroyed their competence in the name of political correctness.  To wit: students and professors are selected for race and gender - not competence - and standards have been lowered to avoid hurting anyone's feelings.  This is reflected in the abysmal quality of research. 

You've very aptly described the way the educational system was organized during totalitarian times in Eastern Europe. Just swap race/gender for ideology, which, in fact, is what is happening in the U.S. behind the mask of race/ideology. Humans do not learn from their mistakes, obviously.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

You've very aptly described the way the educational system was organized during totalitarian times in Eastern Europe. Just swap race/gender for ideology, which, in fact, is what is happening in the U.S. behind the mask of race/ideology. Humans do not learn from their mistakes, obviously.

It's just neo-Marxism wrapped up in an identity politics cover to make it sound good. There is something inherently sick about the left and yes they don't learn from their mistakes. The weird part is they believe they are the good guys.

• Like 1

I believe there are moderately left people who steer clear of this sort of idiocy. I actually used to consider myself moderately left but I'm not sure what it means anymore, so I don't consider myself anything politically. I also believe there are far-right individuals who are as bad as the far-left. In short, all extremes are bad and for the life of me I cannot comprehend how this got out of control so fast and so bad.

I suspect most governments, China included, have no idea in how to manage a tech race. Spent the majority of my professional career in semiconductor tools. Prime leading edge stuff has about a most profitable shelf life of about 18 months, and takes years to develop. Being nimble, seriously investing in R&D, and to use the common adage, only the paranoid survive. The China model can be a tremendous at last year's technology, but central control will hamper them. Even the Japanese, who led technically, lost out as the speed of innovation really mattered. And you can't care if the person next to you is Chinese, Indian, American, or whatever. They just have to have their sh** together. Yes, work to make the Chinese play fair, but the key is yourself. And if offered too great a deal by a Chinese partner, consider what they are gaining. 

Also, in the tech race, the IP protections and rewards of the past need to change. IP protections also inhibit tech at a point. 

image.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1