Marina Schwarz

L.A. Mayor Ditches Gas Plant Plans

Popcorn time!  Enjoy your intermittent power.

“It’s the right thing to do for our health. It’s the right thing to do for our Earth. It’s the right thing to do for our economy,” Garcetti said. “And now is the time to start the beginning of the end of natural gas.”

This is the Green New Deal,” he added, referring to the sweeping climate change policies championed by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y) and endorsed by several contenders for the Democratic presidential nomination. “Not in concept, not in the future, but now.”

... “We are in uncharted territories. I get it. We are in a new era. We are headed to renewables that some might view as unreliable,” Vasquez said. “I’m trying to figure out how to reinvent the way that we do business.”

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Popcorn time!  Enjoy your intermittent power.

“It’s the right thing to do for our health. It’s the right thing to do for our Earth. It’s the right thing to do for our economy,” Garcetti said. “And now is the time to start the beginning of the end of natural gas.”

This is the Green New Deal,” he added, referring to the sweeping climate change policies championed by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y) and endorsed by several contenders for the Democratic presidential nomination. “Not in concept, not in the future, but now.”

... “We are in uncharted territories. I get it. We are in a new era. We are headed to renewables that some might view as unreliable,” Vasquez said. “I’m trying to figure out how to reinvent the way that we do business.”

Pass the salt, please.  Oh, and extra butter on mine.  I can't wait!

• Haha 3

My latest proposal:

Ban all vehicles in Los Angeles.  Everybody has to walk or bicycle.

I call it:

"Healthy Carbon-Free New Deal"

If elected, I promise to shove this down everyone's throat for their own good.

Sounds like a sure-fire win-win proposal.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

(edited)

I am out here in LA LA Land another month. I saw that this morning. It was added into the good news that Governor Newsom has ended part of the "train to nowhere".

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-governor-gavin-newsom-state-of-the-state-20190212-story.html

la-1550017195-6pwe6k4g93-snap-image

It will be fun watching Los Angeles deal with hot summers while relying on increased solar and wind. I don't know how the grid interconnects in California but when it gets hot it gets hot almost everywhere. 

Edited by ronwagn
added reference
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

My latest proposal:

Ban all vehicles in Los Angeles.  Everybody has to walk or bicycle.

I call it:

"Healthy Carbon-Free New Deal"

If elected, I promise to shove this down everyone's throat for their own good.

Sounds like a sure-fire win-win proposal.

AND,  it will cause all of the Los Angelinos to lose weight.  9_9

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh, come on, leave them some public transport. It is totally doable, isn't it? It must be, it's so simply. And good for everyone as noted above.

• Like 1

(edited)

5 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Oh, come on, leave them some public transport. It is totally doable, isn't it? It must be, it's so simply. And good for everyone as noted above.

Back in the early 1970's,  the early "electric cash registers" built by "NCR - National Cash Register",   HAD A "CRANK" ON THE SIDE TO TURN TO GENERATE POWER TO RUN THE REGISTER DURING A POWER FAILURE...!!!

I own a small flashlight that has a small "CRANK" ON THE SIDE THAT I CAN TURN TO GENERATE POWER TO RUN THE FLASHLIGHT DURING A POWER FAILURE."....  NO BATTERIES....!

IN CONCLUSION,    I THINK THAT "MAYOR ERIC GARCETTI"  SHOULD ORDER THAT "ALL HOUSES AND BUSINESSES,  AND CARS,  AND BUSES,  IN LOS ANGELES,    "BE ORDERED"  TO INSTALL A "CRANK" ON THE SIDE OF THEIR  HOUSE,  BUILDING,  CAR  OR BUS,  IN ORDER TO GENERATE POWER TO OPERATE..........!!!!!!

SEE..........!!!!!   SIMPLE...........!!!!!!!!!!  

AND THEY MUST HIRE ALL OF THE UN-SKILLED ILLEGAL ALIENS FROM MEXICO TO "TURN THE CRANKS."...!

SEE,    Even i can be a "green" liberal......

BY DOING THE ABOVE,  THE MAYOR CAN THEN ORDER THAT "ALL POWER GENERATING PLANTS "  BE DECOMMISSIONED,  AND DESTROYED.....

Edited by Illurion
  • Haha 6

(edited)

12 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Los Angeles has a good bus system that runs off of CNG. Ever since they got rid of the street cars. They worked well also, but the lines and tracks were unsightly. The commuter trains don't seem to get much use. It is fun to watch the sparks or whatever move along the overhead electric power lines. Unfortunately, the bus lines plan on experimenting with new electric buses. What can go wrong?

Edited by ronwagn
addition
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/13/2019 at 7:29 AM, Marina Schwarz said:

But utilities...

What do they know compared to true Greenies? We will see unless Garcetti backs down. They will probably end up renovating natural gas backup though. Then they will claim that it all worked fine while the customers pay double. 

(edited)

On 2/12/2019 at 9:34 PM, Illurion said:

AND,  it will cause all of the Los Angelinos to lose weight.  9_9

Very helpful so the Lost Angels don't roll into the ocean during the next earthquake :S

Edited by Happy Go Lucky
  • Haha 2

How much will it cost the people in LA?

Luckily for us Germany has voluntarily become the crash test dummy for green energy. Electricity costs them 29.5 euro cents/kwh.  I pay about $.10/kwh in Colorado.

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

I believe the Democrats, with hugging AOC leading the charge,  realize unlike Venezuela, that they  can't nationalize the oil and gas industry so they just pass the New Green Deal and kill it.    

• Upvote 2

On 2/15/2019 at 12:38 PM, Danlxyz said:

How much will it cost the people in LA?

Luckily for us Germany has voluntarily become the crash test dummy for green energy. Electricity costs them 29.5 euro cents/kwh.  I pay about $.10/kwh in Colorado.

Time for German Yellow Vests. Tell the AFD. I can't wait until the next elections. 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, JoMack said:

I believe the Democrats, with hugging AOC leading the charge,  realize unlike Venezuela, that they  can't nationalize the oil and gas industry so they just pass the New Green Deal and kill it.    

The Green New Deal would kill the American economy. We joke but it is gallows humor. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, ronwagn said:

The Green New Deal would kill the American economy. We joke but it is gallows humor. 

Totally agree ronwagn.  It is definitely "not" funny!  1/3 of the Democrats running for President want this to become law.  But, even Democrats who actually look at other countries trying to go Green see that the electricity prices skyrocket and they face blackouts.  Obama tried to kill exploration on federal lands but failed.  In New Mexico the industry was manipulated to use proprietary information to bring federal leases they wanted into a sale.  The BLM changed the competitive lease sales to one a year and the industry had to nominate the tracks for review.  So, very little acreage was placed up for sale.  The State of NM did the opposite and had sales every month.  As more and more exploration and development was being done on state lands, federal oil and gas reserves were being drained.  Again, the Democrats will try to stop oil and gas from continuing, so we'll watch California closely as its Governor closes its gas fired power plants.  When the blackouts start they'll blame the oil and gas companies who like Republicans don't fight back.  But, I bet we'll see California buying its power from Arizona, which they are doing now, but it will increase substantially when the plants are closed.

Think what Silicon Valley will do when they have no reliable source of energy.   When you can't turn on your lights when you throw the switch, heat or cool your home, and your  computer screens remain blank,  how many more of the population and industries will dump California for states that keep the lights on.    I only hope when the Californians leave, they also leave their progressive wish lists in the trash.

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JoMack said:

Totally agree ronwagn.  It is definitely "not" funny!  1/3 of the Democrats running for President want this to become law.  But, even Democrats who actually look at other countries trying to go Green see that the electricity prices skyrocket and they face blackouts.  Obama tried to kill exploration on federal lands but failed.  In New Mexico the industry was manipulated to use proprietary information to bring federal leases they wanted into a sale.  The BLM changed the competitive lease sales to one a year and the industry had to nominate the tracks for review.  So, very little acreage was placed up for sale.  The State of NM did the opposite and had sales every month.  As more and more exploration and development was being done on state lands, federal oil and gas reserves were being drained.  Again, the Democrats will try to stop oil and gas from continuing, so we'll watch California closely as its Governor closes its gas fired power plants.  When the blackouts start they'll blame the oil and gas companies who like Republicans don't fight back.  But, I bet we'll see California buying its power from Arizona, which they are doing now, but it will increase substantially when the plants are closed.

Think what Silicon Valley will do when they have no reliable source of energy.   When you can't turn on your lights when you throw the switch, heat or cool your home, and your  computer screens remain blank,  how many more of the population and industries will dump California for states that keep the lights on.    I only hope when the Californians leave, they also leave their progressive wish lists in the trash.

Unfortunately, it seems that Californians are usually sufficiently brainwashed that they take their political misconceptions with them. I will spend my last years wintering in California where I spent half my life before getting out. I left in 1986 and moved to the corn and soybean country of Illinois. Chicago just turned Illinois totally Democrat and immediately started trying to degrade the Second Amendment statewide. Chicago is going broke even faster than the state of Illinois which is the state in the worst shape of any. More people are leaving Illinois than any other state. California is losing legal citizens and encouraging illegals to move in. Chicago has one of the highest illegal immigrant populations now. California and Illinois both learned how to buy the loyalty of government workers with higher pay, higher retirement pay, and benefits. 

• Upvote 2

A veritable boatload of good, honest comments on this page.  Wonderful!  🤠🗽👏🖖🤝👍👌🐱‍🏍🙈🙉🙊🐵🦄🕊🍿

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

A veritable boatload of good, honest comments on this page.  Wonderful!  🤠🗽👏🖖🤝👍👌🐱‍🏍🙈🙉🙊🐵🦄🕊🍿

While Trump was talking about "Countries" when he gave his "SHITHOLE" quote many months ago,  i believe the term could also accurately describe many cities, and perhaps States, here in the USA.

I personally see Chicago, and the State of California as belonging on that list...

But then i am biased.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Analogous to AOC and progressives in NYC killing off Amazon job HQ2.   California is making idealistic decisions not based on economics.  This mode of operation is not sustainable and not feasible and will lead to catastrophic consequences.  The cost of living and future shortages will create a hostile environment for the decision makers survival.  The PG & E activist lawsuits by legislatures in California to bankrupt the largest California and US utility company is just the beginning of creating non affordable utility costs in California.  California already pays the highest gasoline costs and now the highest utility costs, it can not sustain this path without major consequences. The exodus of out migration of its people will accelerate due to high cost of living and extreme over taxation.  I feel sorry for the future of California.  Its only hope is regime change and that means run out all the progressives once their system collapses.

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Illurion said:

While Trump was talking about "Countries" when he gave his "SHITHOLE" quote many months ago,  i believe the term could also accurately describe many cities, and perhaps States, here in the USA.

I personally see Chicago, and the State of California as belonging on that list...

But then i am biased.

California is infested with liberals, some of them are relatives of mine that I still love despite it. One third of Californians are still conservative. The voting process has been manipulated to allow just about anyone to vote once or more whether you are a citizen or not in some cases. There is no enforcement that I know of.

You can avoid the shitty areas but even San Francisco, Venice Beach, and Hollywood have their charms. 

California is still the most beautiful state in the Union and has the best weather. Some of the best beaches and mountains and deserts and coastline. Many of the best National Parks and forests. 

• Like 1